Author Topic: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes  (Read 4125 times)
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « on: May 19, 2015, 10:24:03 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I could run two F8T5s in series on an 14-15-20 choke? If so, I may convert some of my strip lights that are 15w 18 inch to run these, since I have a bunch of t5 sockets. Thanks.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 02:12:15 AM » Author: Medved
Nope. Counting "8+8W=16W in the range of 14..20W ballast range" is completely wrong.
The thing is, the ballast is (close to) a constant current source, so delivers given current into the load, while the voltage is dictated by the load (lamp).
For the ballast to work, the lamp voltage has to be within the range the ballast is designed for and that is up to about half of the OCV. And with series choke, the OCV is the mains voltage, so the maximum arc voltage is about 60V, for higher you would need some transformer type ballast (well, up to 90V you may still work with series LC, but then you need special electronic starter, normal glowbottle won't work).

The small T5's (together with the PL-S 5..9W) are about 0.16A lamps, o need the 0.16A ballast (so all the PL-S 5..9W, T5 4..8W are in fact the same chokes)

The F15T8 is 0.25A, the F20T12 is 0.36A, so could operate on the same ballast, feeding the lamps by about 0.25A (so the F20 is underpowered; it shortens it's life, but still assumed as acceptable for home use)

All the mentionned lamps are about 40..60V arc voltage, so work with just the series choke style ballast. But when you connect two lamps in series, the total voltage would even exceed the 120V mains, so the ballast won't be able to feed the lamps.
Series connection will work in 230V area, but then two F8T5 tubes should be operated on the same T5 ballast (the current stay the same) as the single lamp (so the 4..13W T5 or 5..11W PL-S).

No more selfballasted c***

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:27:29 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Dang. I wanted to build a t5 fixture and I only have one choke that is 4-6-8w.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:14 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I have seen ballasts where you can run two f4t5s in series, but it's a cheap instant start-esque electronic ballast my grandma insisted I replace the original,solid fixture with.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:05:26 AM » Author: Medved
You may operate two F4T5 in series on that choke (the total voltage would be still within the ballast limits), but you would have to suffice with manual start, there are no starters available for the 60V OCV (series operation at 120V).
Otherwise you really need one choke per lamp. Note, the 5..9W PL-S ballasts are exactly the same as 4..8WT5, so you may use those...

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:22:55 AM » Author: Solanaceae
Ok thanks for clearing that up. Do you know where I can find 4-6-8 chokes?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:37:27 AM » Author: Medved
I would say some HomeDepot or so. But this is rather a question for the US-resident members...

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 01:53:40 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I do live in the US, but the nearest Home Depot is about 40mins away, so maybe the next time I visit Jacksonville  I'll drop by to check it out.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 01:55:33 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I've seen that another member, nicksfans had bought a choke to repair a dead one in his harmony house preheater, but it underpowers the lamps and it's fairly evident to the naked eye. I just want to make sure that whatever I find doesn't grossly underpower the tubes.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 12:53:58 PM » Author: Medved
I do live in the US

But I don't, so I don't know all the possibilities.
Here, in Europe, some "DIY" home improvement stores carry few types of such things, but definitely not all types in use here...

Or specialized distributors, but those is usually harder to get there, as they are just small shops without that much advertisement...

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 01:23:51 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I may hit the mother load of lighting related stuff (NEMA bucket lights, under cabinet fixtures, etc...) the bel aire motel here in Springfield is being torn down and it's right next to habitat. There have been some contractors that have been removing all of the electrical so there might be an influx at habitat.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 12:02:39 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I just want to make sure that whatever I find doesn't grossly underpower the tubes.

You'll actually have a harder time finding a 4/6/8 ballast that underdrives lamps than you will one that overdrives them. Pretty much all 4/6/8 ballasts drive 6 and 8 watt lamps at full power, and slightly overdrive 4 watt lamps. The only exception I've ever seen is my magnetic rapid start 4/6/8 ballast.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:07:07 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I've seen some on eBay but they were like $20 each...

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: F8T5s in series on 14-15-20 chokes « Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 12:05:31 AM » Author: nicksfans
Home Depot and Lowe's do not sell 4-6-8 chokes as far as I know. Check this out, though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:08:13 AM by nicksfans » Logged

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies