Author Topic: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers  (Read 17403 times)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers « Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 01:49:19 PM » Author: Medved
Even the programmed start lamps will fail very soon (in terms of burned hours).
Other problem is with the current shocks into the capacitors in practically all electronically ballasted lamps. It may even lead to the opener failure (the bulb switch), just because the current shocks every time the lamp is turned ON (uses to be about 10..20x each time the door is moved).
Using energy saver retrofits really does not make sense for such applications, it will bring only problems and the energy saving would be really zero, just due to the short burn time.
For long life the shock resistant incandescents are the way to go, or even an underdriven incandescent will do way better job.

If you want low current draw (because you want to operate it from backup battery), way better approach is to use an opener with dedicated LED flasher lantern. Those are then supplied from the inner electronic (usually 12 or 24VDC), use just series resistors as ballasts and a simple transistor as the control switch - so no inrush current at all.
There are even opener units designed to operate completely from 12VDC, including the way more efficient low voltage DC motor in the main opener (the ~20W shaft output motor typically used for gates or so uses to consume ~50..60W when AC induction, but just about 30W when 12V DC; when the power gets lower, the difference gets way greater - at 1W shaft you have 2W of a 12VDC motor, but about 10W input of a mains AC induction), so the backup time is way longer with way smaller battery.

No more selfballasted c***

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers « Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 02:32:00 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I've seen garage openers like what you speak of on advertisements. Next time I go to the store I will get rough service bulbs.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers « Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 02:32:36 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I've seen garage openers like what you speak of on advertisements. Next time I go to the store I will get rough service bulbs.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers « Reply #18 on: May 31, 2015, 03:38:46 PM » Author: nicksfans
I disagree with the statement that LED retrofit lamps wouldn't be bright enough...that's what's in my garage door opener. They're available in up to 100W equivalent versions. I actually think it's a great place to use them as the short burn time won't cause heat issues, and the LEDs are immune to vibration and frequent switching. If you install a decent quality LED retrofit lamp you may never have to replace it again. The only way it might be a problem is interference with the opener's electronics.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers « Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 03:59:43 PM » Author: Medved
I disagree with the statement that LED retrofit lamps wouldn't be bright enough...that's what's in my garage door opener. They're available in up to 100W equivalent versions. I actually think it's a great place to use them as the short burn time won't cause heat issues, and the LEDs are immune to vibration and frequent switching. If you install a decent quality LED retrofit lamp you may never have to replace it again. The only way it might be a problem is interference with the opener's electronics.

For LED alone it would be indeed the best place for higher output. But the problem is with their ballast electronic: Each time it is switched ON, the capacitors get current surge. Normally that is of no issue, but when something flashes the lamp 100x per day and still it makes for just few minutes burning time in total, the turn ON stress could well become the dominant degradation mode and the primary cause of failures.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers « Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 07:53:31 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Some openers flash the lights on and off if something gets in the way of the IR sensors.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I use CFL's in my Garage Door Openers « Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 12:41:19 AM » Author: Medved
The (gate) openers I have seen are flashing at about 1s interval all the time the gate is in motion. But dunno the response, if it has to stop due to some obstacle.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies