Author Topic: F96T12 being weird!  (Read 3873 times)
RCM
F96T12 being weird! « on: December 21, 2009, 09:04:01 PM » Author: RCM
What causes something like this to happen, seems to only happen when it rains, I don't think the moisture in the air affected instant start lamps!

http://s337.photobucket.com/albums/n393/RCM442/?action=view&current=Picture026.flv
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:28:41 AM » Author: Medved
Yes, it do affect, in the same way as RS (spreading the electrical field across the lamp length, so there is no place with high enough intensity to break down the gas). Usually the OCV is so high it start, but if the moisture is dense, it might have troubles as well.
Grounded metal reflector placed close to the tube (but not touching it, as it would make too cold spot for running them at cold) is usually the cure for such problem.

No more selfballasted c***

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 08:44:03 PM » Author: Foxtronix
That's why I like incandescent lamps, you can light them everywhere with no problem!  ;D

RCM
Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 01:33:42 AM » Author: RCM
OK Vince, since you said you can light them anywhere, try lighting one underwater!  ;D
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 02:54:46 PM » Author: Medved
OK Vince, since you said you can light them anywhere, try lighting one underwater!  ;D

And what do you think would happen, assume you manage to protect electrically conductive parts and turn the power ON only after the lamp is submerged (so no thermal shock would happen)?

No more selfballasted c***

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 11:07:46 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Actually, lighting a light bulb under water would work! Only the bulb part, of course and not the socket, otherwise POW!

RCM
Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:29 AM » Author: RCM
Vince, if it was distilled water...hmmm this is giving me ideas of something stupid to do in my spare time! lighting an incandescent in a glass of distilled water, with everything submerged  ;D but maybe not, don't want to blow myself up.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 03:12:32 PM » Author: DieselNut
This is why I love preheat fluorescents.  Rain or shine, grounded or not, they will light!
You may have corrosion on the pin on the lamp or the contacts in the lampholder.  Some slimlines I have seen will act crazy when there gets to be corrosion.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: F96T12 being weird! « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:45 AM » Author: Solanaceae
Yep the lamps need a good clean grounded surface to function right. Can confirm, pacific ballast rapid start fixture is mean to the lamps unless grounded. 

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies