Author Topic: Is this a form of art???  (Read 6985 times)
mima

View Posts
View Gallery

Is this a form of art??? « on: April 27, 2010, 10:39:09 AM » Author: mima
Look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjRPK8evvQ4&feature=related

This is claimed to be "art" ???. Instead, I'd call it "waste of good (meaning in working status) fluorescent lamps and environment exposion to dangerous and toxic materials".
But we are in the 21Th century, so even some sort of "drawing" made on a concrete wall with pee can be called art  :-\...

What do you think guys?

Gimme a discharge lamp and a humming ballast ;D

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:59:53 AM » Author: dor123
"Fox Mantra" have a post with the link of this video at the "Lanterns" part of the forum in the "Videos". Read what i and another members wrote in it and you will get the answer. Its post subject is: "Linear fluorescent lamp falling down in Pompidou, Paris".
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 11:02:11 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Raphael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:09:56 PM » Author: Raphael
This isn't art. I agree with you. A terrible waste
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:17:18 PM » Author: dor123
The art in this projection is that this event was staged. Even the sound isn't realistic. I think this projection was all computer made and wasn't photographed (One of the reason why the lights aren't flickers and there isn't moves of the "camera").
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:21:56 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:58:30 PM » Author: magslight
Could be, but also then this is for me NO art. (Hmm theoretical everything is art, but destroying lamps is in anyway a big waste of good things) This could been  a nightmare of me...
mima

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 05:21:49 PM » Author: mima
Even the sound isn't realistic. I think this projection was all computer made and wasn't photographed (One of the reason why the lights aren't flickers and there isn't moves of the "camera").

The sound it's right, actually if you hit gently a fluorescent tube with your fingers, you'll hear exactely this "bell-like" sound. You hear this sound also when hitting with fingers a quite big dish made with glass, and it's due to the fundimental frequency and its harmonic (and unharmonic) resonances of the glass object being hit, depending by its shape, its mass and dimensions. Actually, it's acting exactely like a bell, but made of glass and not copper or steel. And the strong "pop" you hear when the tube breaks and air is sucked inside due the vacuum in the tube it's perfectly sincronized with the moment of tube breaking.
The light didn't flicker when the tube is released because the OCV at the ballast it's not enough to restrike the arc in the lamp, which requires the inductive kick caused by the starter (I assume these are preheat fixtures). There's no time in the tiny fraction of a second on which the contacts are still closed but unstable (because the tube is rotating out of the lampholders) for the starter to do his work. So the tube instantly shut itself off... for its last time :(
Finally, the camera doesn't move probably because mounted on a tripod ;)

Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:47:13 PM » Author: Mercury Man
That is quite bizarre.  I wonder what kind of message that "piece" is supposed to be sending?  Abandonment?  Gradual deterioration?  Some sort of commentary on institutionalism?

I, for one, wouldn't consider that a display of art at all.  Since art is in the eye of its beholder, and I am a lighting enthusiast, I think that display is blasphemous!   8)
mima

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 05:37:06 AM » Author: mima
I wonder what kind of message that "piece" is supposed to be sending?  Abandonment?  Gradual deterioration?  Some sort of commentary on institutionalism?

To me the only message which this "piece of art" sends is that now everything can be wasted without problem even if working, just go at the supermarket and buy new stuff. And sadly its exactely what's happening: a lot of fully working and often HIGH QUALITY equipments (not only lighting related stuff but also hi-fi equipments, computers, TV sets, etc...), built some years ago, are thrown away because their design doesn't complain about glossy and smooth surfaces, touch screens, stylish colours, luxury appealing, etc... So people throw away it to buy the latest chinese junk which, for example talking about audio equipments, sounds terribly, and probably in some months will cease working and will have to be repaired (or directly scraped). But have the smooth and glossy surfaces so liked today. Oh man, what a good deal...  :-\
If you look at my gallery you see a photo of my home music studio: 80% (except the keyboards) it's built with things recovered at the scrapyard...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:31:26 AM » Author: dor123
I still think the projection in this video is all computer made as there is no any reason for the fluorescent lamps to be fall from these fixtures to the floor by themselves. The only case that this may accur is during an earthquake.

mima

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:04:34 AM » Author: mima
@dor123: these "forms of art" usually involves that the gears used in it have to be modified to obtain the desired effect. Maybe a small electric motor, with a rubber wheel pushing on the tube, was added to the fixtures to rotate the tubes, or the lampholders hooked to small solenoids which pull them to free up the tubes, so they can fall from the fixtures... Obviously these are all theories, but to me it's too realistic to be a computer simulation, also considering that it's a lot easier, with the tricks I described, to do this thing with real stuff instead to render it on a computer at this level of realism, including the perfectly matching audio.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 05:39:48 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Here's how I see it in art...."Getting darker and darker....everything crashing and getting darker"

I kinda am an artist in a way, done some drawings, painting, plus my fluorescent display...

I consider those butterfly wings, trees patterns on the leaves, everything "God's art"

In matter of fact sometimes volcano explosions can make an interesting artistic view...and I consider it as a "God's art"

Just how I see it....

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

mima

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 06:10:11 AM » Author: mima
TudorWhiz: your art is respectful, you don't waste anything to do your artworks. And oh, well, Mother Nature it's the better artist on the universe. Just watch at our planet (which we are ruining badly...) and everything Mother Nature done on it, watch at the beautiful galaxies and nebulas colours and shapes, watch at the planets (Neptune, Jupiter and Saturn to me are truly masterpieces)... Mother Nature it's unbeatable as artist.
Talking about men's art, under certain limits waste of things to do some types of artwork could even be acceptable, but here IMHO the limits are being overcome. Not only because these were good fluorescent tubes which could be used in a way more productive manner, but also considering the toxicity of their contents. Smashing such a great number of fluorescent tubes in a room is not exactely what can be called environment-friendly... And I don't think that room was sealed. Maybe the "artist" even doesn't know what's inside a fluorescent tube.
Yours it's a way better artist manner to use fluorescent tubes with your display, where these lamps could be watched blinking happy together :)

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:42 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
True....but you know....my mom loves antiques and had read about them and discovered some antique paint and ceramics may have mercury in them! Old paint has lead in them too. So I guess this is hard to really think and judge on....

My art isn't ALL that respectful either.....the wood I used to make the fluorescent display = chopping trees for wood...  ;-)

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

mima

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:29:04 AM » Author: mima
True....but you know....my mom loves antiques and had read about them and discovered some antique paint and ceramics may have mercury in them! Old paint has lead in them too. So I guess this is hard to really think and judge on....

At the times toxicity of lead and mercury in such little quantities could be unknown, but today we knows how these materials, even in relatively small quantities, can be poisonous in the air.

My art isn't ALL that respectful either.....the wood I used to make the fluorescent display = chopping trees for wood...  ;-)

At least your wood isn't scraped immediately after you done your artwork :) as, instead, this will happen for the tubes in the video.

Again, matter of point of views. To me there are much more ways to use fluorescent tubes in art without having to waste them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Is this a form of art??? « Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 06:40:12 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
true......but maybe they were used and they wanted to tear down the building? Who knows.....a lot of good fluorecent lights get scrapped more than you! recgonize....there's also group relamping too..

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies