Author Topic: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!)  (Read 50387 times)
fluorescent
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #120 on: September 29, 2016, 09:39:25 PM » Author: fluorescent
How about an old Crompton 5ft fixture with an SRS ballast that had a crappy T5 adapter fitted.

T5 adaptor had shunted together pins at each end, so the ballast windings for filament heating were powering a dead short! Surprisingly it did work but I don't think the ballast would of lasted long. It's been removed now and a proper T12 65W tube fitted :-)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #121 on: September 30, 2016, 01:55:17 AM » Author: Ash
SRS does not have any windings to heat the filaments, if you short it its just LC circuit in series to the line. But quite close to resonance, so indeed damaging to the capacitor (high voltages that are present only for seconds with a properly starting lamp) and the ballast in general (high current so significant heating)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #122 on: September 30, 2016, 02:58:35 AM » Author: Medved
SRS does not have any windings to heat the filaments, if you short it its just LC circuit in series to the line. But quite close to resonance, so indeed damaging to the capacitor (high voltages that are present only for seconds with a properly starting lamp) and the ballast in general (high current so significant heating)

There is no resonance in the SRS, don't worry. The reason is, the widing style (the magnetic field of each coil cacels the field of the other one) suppresses the ballast inductace in the to-be LC, so it remains efectively just a capacitor parallel to the manis. So for the LED retrofit no differece to e.g. classic preheat circuit.

No more selfballasted c***

veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #123 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:56 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
Everything I do!

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #124 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:42 AM » Author: wattMaster
Today, I saw a 200 watt incandescent in a 60 watt maximum fixture. :o

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #125 on: November 20, 2016, 03:08:54 PM » Author: ace100w120v
OK, that's  good one!  I've seen 100w in 60w max and 75w in 40w max but never 200w in 60w!
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #126 on: November 20, 2016, 06:19:32 PM » Author: Lumex120
How about 500w in a 100w max fixture? Saw it at the state fair once.

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #127 on: November 20, 2016, 06:26:10 PM » Author: Ash
How about 60W in 60W fixture. But one that is made of crappy plastic that melts anyway
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #128 on: November 20, 2016, 08:19:41 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Zarlog, my god!  Wow! That's CRAZY!

Someone (who is on LG but was telling me the story offline) has been telling me crazy stories about lights at their workplace...480v hooked up to a standard cheap yard blaster (of course ballast fried), MH lamps in MV NEMAs, and other bizarre and crazy things. 
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #129 on: November 25, 2016, 06:04:12 PM » Author: wattMaster
In our hotel room, I saw that a fixture was hanging by its power wires, with no other support method. :-\
If the wires break, bad things will happen.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #130 on: November 25, 2016, 07:18:45 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Especially in a  hotel room of all places.  It's one thing if you're in the process of painting and hang fixtures loose because you still need light, but not for "normal" use!
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #131 on: November 25, 2016, 07:26:23 PM » Author: wattMaster
It was more of an upside-down table lamp.

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #132 on: November 25, 2016, 07:27:10 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I admittedly did one today.  I salvaged a F96T12 slimline and HO fixture from the dump.  I had no lamps, and only had access to shunted bipin sockets, so I stuck a F32T8 between the red and blue wires of the HO ballast and tested it.  It was surprisingly not super overdriven, but I imagine this could be destructive with a spent lamp.  All just laying in the fixture channel, laying on the carpet.  But of course I didn't leave it running more than a minute or two just for testing.  

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #133 on: December 04, 2016, 06:55:28 PM » Author: wattMaster
Today, I saw outdoor Christmas lights in a public space, there were lots of funny mistakes. Those mistakes include lots of plugs connected to each other, and a bare power strip in the ground. They were not on, but I fixed that by resetting the GFCI sockets.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #134 on: December 07, 2016, 02:47:54 PM » Author: Ash
Replaced a main breaker in a panel. With live power. As you can't disconnect the power before the main

Done by standing on a Plastic chair and being carefull to hold only the breaker (by its Plastic body, in air) or service drop wire (with isolated pliers), and not make contact with any Earth/Neutral/other conductor of different potential

Held the wire with pliers and detached the old breaker from the rail with an isolated screwdriver, pulled it all out, removed the breaker, cut off the old wire end (with a crimped spade terminal that would not be needed with the new breaker), stripped (with the pliers), inserted the new breaker onto the wire (modern breaker with enclosed terminals), tightened the terminal screw, and clipped it on the DIN rail
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies