Author Topic: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!)  (Read 49451 times)
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 08:01:01 PM » Author: nogden
Now if only those lamps were lit!
tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 12:08:48 AM » Author: tmcdllr
I wonder how much mercury could have gotten into that idiot's system.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 01:43:54 AM » Author: RCM442
Now if only those lamps were lit!

Now THAT would be funny!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 12:47:29 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I wouldn't want to be the one who had to clean up the mess after that motorcycle drive-thru :shock:
what a waste of bulbs LOL

Some stuff i've seen over the years:
* at someone's house there was an extension cord plugged into an outlet...it then disappeared into the wall! (have no idea where it went after that)
* once saw a streetlight connected up with wire-nuts hanging out exposed to the weather.
* in a college building, they were installing a new suspended ceiling with your standard instant start 3-lamp troffers. before closing it up they removed the bulbs from the still on old electro-magnetic ballast fixtures above. They then installed ceiling panels leaving the bulb-less old fixtures in place. (i actually watched this being done, thinking what the f--- are they really gonna leave it like that)
* in a neighbor's garage one of the previous owners had added a couple outlets, they just spliced into an existing circuit...the splice was just put together with wire-nuts and hanging open like that on the wall. the 'new' owners decided to insulate & drywall their garage...they just left that crap as is in the wall :shock:

Not dangerous...but they looked bad:
* In a old grocery store they had removed all the diffusers from their ceiling troffers. multiple had non-working bulbs. (i've seen this type of thing in other stores too)
* Another grocery store, at some point they'd upgraded their 2-lamp T12 fixtures to T8 (with proper ballasts). Some time in the years after that they'd went through and removed one bulb from every fixture. (maybe they were saving power?? or bulb replacement costs?? who knows but it made the whole store seem dim)
* Just recently in a thrift store...they had 8foot T8 fixtures, a random 50/50 mix of warm and cool white lamps.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 05:36:10 PM » Author: DieselNut
WOW!  Yall have come across some real winners!  The motorcycle dude is plain F*ing STUPID!

I don't know if any of yall have ever been to Mexico, but years ago, when I was in my mid teens, we took a family vacation to Cancun.  They must not have any wiring codes and certainly no inspections!  Everything was put together with ONLY electrical tape.  No heat shrink, no wire nuts or splices... In the hotel, which was a NICE place, they had the "PL" type lights in the bathroom over the sink.  The ballast was screwed to a board, much like a cornice, then the wires were run over to the lamp socket which was also screwed to the board.  The power wires were electrical taped together and the Romex looking wire with no ground was just sticking out through a hole in the drywall. Of course none of this was "visible"  unless you intentionally were looking for it, which I have always done!  All the lights I saw were wired in similar ways.  Traffic signals, street lights and even the disco lights in one of the dance clubs were all wired to the mains with electrical tape.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 06:15:34 PM » Author: tmcdllr
Makes you wonder why you dont hear about more structure fires in Mexico.

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 07:00:20 PM » Author: nogden
Maybe the lamps that the motorcycle guy drove through were Altos. That wouldn't have been quite as bad!

Yes, I know about removing lamps for energy savings. Maintenance crews where I work removed some of the lamps from our new T8 fixtures in a very random way. I wish they would have removed them in some logical pattern. I have to give them credit, though. They didn't touch any magnetically-ballasted T12 light. They don't want to burn up any magnetic ballast. They are my friends!

-Nelson
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 08:47:00 PM » Author: joseph_125
Now that motorcycle thing was just crazy, I wonder if he drove through a bunch of 34W Altos or something else.

But I think the guy running through 70 fluorescent lamps and the fluorescent lamp fighting videos are worse than him.

Guy running through fluorescent lamps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tvavXP7jyo

Fluorescent light fighting, this one isn't a video clip but it's still really crazy:

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT WATCH AT OWN RISK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7KAGiVRZYE
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 11:41:02 AM » Author: DieselNut
Those are beyond crazy!  How about plumb STUPID!?!? and the "neon" light fight: SICK!  :o

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 03:07:49 PM » Author: Xytrell
* at someone's house there was an extension cord plugged into an outlet...it then disappeared into the wall! (have no idea where it went after that)

Was LSD involved? :(
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 06:47:15 AM » Author: xmaslightguy

Was LSD involved? :(

Maybe for the one who installed that arrangement? LOL :) made no sense to me why they wouldnt've just run normal romex _before_ drywalling that wall (the cord was done before drywall) :shock:

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 08:19:54 AM » Author: Xytrell
OH! I misread that. I pictured an extension cord running (like a snake, if you will) into the wall as if you scared it back into it's lair ???
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 08:21:40 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
How about spirals in MH fixtures?   

Sprials in dimmer sockets (only made for incandescent)

I own a power bracket that was in victim of powering a 175 watt MV lamp at 400 watt! (and both still works fine.) the lamp was from 1977 and it was shut off roughly at 1996......so roughly between 10 to 19 years of being OVERPOWERED!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 09:01:48 AM » Author: tmcdllr
Wow, I would like to see a video of that.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: Crazy, dangerous or stupid things you have seen done (or done yourself!) « Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 08:58:32 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: Xytrell
OH! I misread that. I pictured an extension cord running (like a snake, if you will) into the wall as if you scared it back into it's lair ???
LOL that would be funny! A living cord :)
(cords do look kinda like a snake when you drag them through the lawn :) )

It was just one of those standard orange outdoor cords, plugged in, then bent back & entered the wall a few inches above the outlet.

Quote from: TudorWhiz
between 10 to 19 years of being OVERPOWERED!
Amazing bulb that it would last so long being overdriven by that much

Another thing i saw once is someone had finished a couple basement rooms, they used normal romex, but in the outlet boxes they'd cut the ground wire short & thus didn't connect it ... but they used standard 3-prong grounded outlets!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies