Author Topic: Title and Description Now Mandatory  (Read 27659 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Title and Description Now Mandatory « on: October 23, 2010, 11:48:06 PM » Author: Patrick
Hello Members,

Starting today, a title and description must be entered for all files uploaded to Lighting-Gallery.net.  A title and description will be required for your existing photos only if you choose to edit the file or album information.  We are asking members to enter this information so viewers can better understand each photograph.  Also, without them, your photos will be difficult to find when performing a site search, making them less accessible to our visitors.  You may wish to review your albums and add this information if it is missing from any of your current pictures.  We upload images to this site in order to share them with others, and by providing relevant titles and descriptions, you will be making your photos easier to locate and more informative.

Let us know if you experience any difficulty uploading or editing files now that this update is in place.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Title And Description Now Mandatory « Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:08:40 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Good idea! :)

One thing (probably unrelated) that seemes to have stopped working as of yesterday is those emails
"Someone commented on a picture you are subscribed to"
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:12:28 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:51:33 PM » Author: nogden
Thanks, that is a good idea!
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:56:22 PM » Author: joseph_125
Thanks, I also say it's a good idea  ;)
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 09:14:36 AM » Author: DieselNut
I like the idea.  When I first joined the site, I could never get the detailed information to work correctly in the fields below (was a "bug" at the time), so I have put my details in the title and description section. 

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:58:25 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
That would be nice for Galleryoflights.org too....You do a great job on this site!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 06:36:46 PM » Author: Patrick
I'd like to remind everyone about the importance of including a good title and description with every photo.  As you all know, the gallery will not allow you to post a picture without first entering both a title and a description.  If you circumvent these requirements by entering junk characters, we may suspend your membership.  The gallery does not enforce any length requirements on these fields, but in general your description should be at least one or two sentences and not simply be a copy of your title. 

We have also noticed that some of the members who upload the most pictures are providing the poorest information.  If you have a large number of photos to share, that is great, but rather than post them all in a hurry, we ask that you take the time to enter details for each and every one.  Taking the time to write up a detailed description will help prevent you from "flooding" the gallery (uploading a large quantity in a brief period, thus pushing other members photos down the list) while also improving the quality of your own gallery.

Thanks everyone.

Lighting-Gallery.net

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 02:00:43 PM » Author: DieselNut
I usually upload my photos from my phone, with a short, "lame" description, then later edit it from the PC.  hope this is not a problem.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 08:40:43 PM » Author: BG101
I don't use anything other than a PC but sometimes have limited access (on someone else's network or on mobile "broadband") so have done the same, I'll then edit the post and add all the details as soon as I can; this should be OK.

I think the issue is where photos are posted without adding proper details at all and this is where it causes problems .. it does make it awkward where a photo is uploaded and there isn't a proper description (or even a descriptive title) as unless you know what you're looking at it can be difficult to find out what it is, especially as the item in question can be unique to the region the poster lives/resides.

Without a proper title or description it can negate the principle of "a picture can convey a thousand words".

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 05:07:31 PM » Author: Patrick
I've put in place several additional requirements.  The title must now contain at least one two-letter word and as before, be 5 or more characters in length.  The description must now contain at least one three-letter word and as before, be 10 or more characters in length.  You must also fill out at least two pieces of information besides title, description, and category.

I expect that it shouldn't be too much trouble to provide this information for any photos that are focused enough to be considered on-topic.  For off-topic photos, a title and description of any length must be present, but those are the only requirements.  You can mark a photo off-topic, and add in additional details after the fact.  Our goal is to keep quality up and ensure pictures are searchable. 

Let us know if you encounter any difficulty.  We may make further adjustments in the future as we see fit.

Lighting-Gallery.net

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 05:13:00 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I saw it for the first time and was like "whoa did I do something wrong until I read the error" and then I put in the wattage, voltage, and the type of light
TBH I like this new feature but I've never seen an upload without a title or description

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 05:20:49 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I saw it for the first time and was like "whoa did I do something wrong until I read the error" and then I put in the wattage, voltage, and the type of light
TBH I like this new feature but I've never seen an upload without a title or description

No Title & Description
No Title

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 05:25:36 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
No Title & Description
No Title
Wow I did not know that was possible
Thanks for doing that

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 06:49:06 PM » Author: Rommie
This makes sense, it's annoying when there is no clear description. The other thing that irritates me somewhat is when the entire description is in the title field instead of where it ought to be.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Title and Description Now Mandatory « Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 05:36:59 AM » Author: dor123
No Title & Description
No Title
These pictures were uploaded before the requirement for title and description, being enforced in LG.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies