Author Topic: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!!  (Read 9564 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « on: November 21, 2010, 01:00:25 PM » Author: dor123
Photographed near the parents home "Pisgat Hen" of my grandmother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPDI4ySmIlk
While in HPS lamps having an internal glow starter, the starter always fails first (Because of the high temperature inside the outerbulb, higher loading and the starter rely on moving parts inside a neon atmosphere), in this video, you can easily see that the glow starter inside this elliptical diffused 70W HPS lamp outlived the arctube!!!! (And with a cycling behavior that matches a preheat fluorescent operates with the same starter)
This means that this is an another chinese junk, with a poorly made arctube.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:54:34 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:24 AM » Author: Medved
I don't think it is so clear, then the starter fail first.
I'm more convinced, then the tube enter the runaway first, what lead to cycling (as usual for HPS), but as the glowbottle has a limited life compare to the electronic ignitor, it fail few hours after (but the electronic will continue to ignite for months at least). Don't forget, then one night with cycling lamp is the same (or even worse) stress on the ignition system (either glowbottle or electronic) as few years of normal operation, what is far enough to kill the glowbottle way sooner, then you notice the lamp ever cycling (so you have then the impression, then the starter failed first).

Temperature: Inside the lamp is, indeed, high temperature during operation, but during normal operation the starter has no reason to fire. And when it is normally starting the lamp, the whole lamp is cold.
Firing hot starter happen only at hot restarts, so mainly when the lamp start to cycle. And this, indeed, lead to accelerated wear and add to what is described above.

No more selfballasted c***

bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 07:27:03 AM » Author: bluelights
I have a Philips SON-H 110 W lamp which has a glowbottle starter wired in series with a bimetallic switch. When the lamp heats up, the switch disconnects the starter until the lamp cools down again and is ready to fire up.

I also have a SON 70 W lamp which was cycling with a good starter, but the next time I turned it on the starter just blinks and lamp doesn't fire up.

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

imj
Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:04:48 PM » Author: imj
The glow bottle of SON lamps are pretty well made IMO. The EYE SUNLUX I posted on youtube is very worn out I picked it up from a relamping work done at the vicinity of our flat. The first time I lighted it it went off after a some minutes after fully warming up but never again after that but the glow bottle is really black but still works. I also took a Philips SON from the same site and it too has a very black glow bottle still works but the arctube itself has lost much of it's sodium glowing greenish during warm up. I don't know about US lamps but the Europe ones are pretty reliable and usually outlast the arctube.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:53:57 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Theres still no substitute for an external ignitor where HPS lamps are conserned, there is always plenty of room in any fixture for an ignitor, but for the sake of just simplifying the gear circuit, I can`t see why there was any need to do an internal ignition HPS lamp.
EYE do have the best one though.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:10 PM » Author: Ash
There is problem to place the ignitor in some fixtures - such as spheres. The ballast can be placed directly below the lamp. The ignitor will give a shodow where ever you place it in the fixture

The internal ignitor HPS is a quick and sufficient solution for this issue and it does its work pretty well

Besides, the 70W internal ignotor HPS is close enough to work well on 80W merury gear, which make it drop-in replacement for mercury fixtures
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 01:06:52 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Could you use the glow bottle from this lamp to start larger wattage fluorescents? Like for example: a 65/80w tube.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 04:49:45 AM » Author: dor123
I don't know, but starters of 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, are larger than the ones for fluorescent lamps.
Currently, the two lanterns have CFLs.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 08:22:35 AM » Author: Solanaceae
What wattage are the CFLs? Are you talking about the glow bottle being larger than a high wattage fluorescent tube glow bottle starter?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 10:44:57 AM » Author: dor123
The CFLs are tubular with 3 U tubes, cool white.
The glow bottles of internal ignitor HPS lamps, are usually larger than the ones of fluorescent starters, but I think that the british 4-125W starter, have similar size of glow bottle as the 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, as in 230-240V mains, you ignite european 50-70W HPS lamps with it, without the need of a 60W incandescent lamp in series with it (For a 4-65W starter [Such as Philips S10], you need to put a 60W incandescent lamp, in series, to limit the current to the starter, and prevent it from overheating).

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 01:24:44 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Ok that makes sense now. Do they make direct retrofit CFLs for HPS or do you remove the gear first?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 01:40:22 PM » Author: dor123
They disconnected the gear.
Here is a picture of the lanterns.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 03:05:02 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Yeah, I raed through the post. It'd be more economical to put in ballasts with igniters and new HPS bulbs so you don't have to replace those CrappyFluorescentLights.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 03:59:57 PM » Author: Ash
"CFLs are greener". And they are available in more shops than the proper HPS lamp.....

Solanaceae : The internal starter of the SON /I is parallel with the arctube, so i'll just try one day connecting the complete 70W lamp in place of the starter in a 36W fluorescent.... Wonder which will fire up first
Liam

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Is this worth the money?: A cycling 70W HPS with an INTERNAL GLOW STARTER!!!! « Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 02:13:17 PM » Author: Liam
Could you use the glow bottle from this lamp to start larger wattage fluorescents? Like for example: a 65/80w tube.

Yes they would work fine on tubes from 36w to 70w T8 or 40w to 125w T12. I had a couple of 70w SON I lamps where the arc tube failed but the starter works fine  so i broke the outer jacket and sniped the glow bottle out of it.

The lamps were an Osram NAV-I 70w and a Sylvania shp-I 70w.

My gallery http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11495

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies