Author Topic: 405W Westinghouse 405PS40/54 bulb - how common are these?  (Read 2411 times)
oakhill
405W Westinghouse 405PS40/54 bulb - how common are these? « on: August 18, 2011, 11:08:14 PM » Author: oakhill
I've obtained several cases of Westinghouse 405PS40/54 streetlighting bulbs - wondering how common these are to come across, when they were last produced, how to date them...

They're in their original sleeves, misted in a light oil. 

Their markings may rub off if I attempt to remove the coating...came from a school district in VA.  

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 405W Westinghouse 405PS40/54 bulb - how common are these? « Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 12:44:48 AM » Author: don93s
Very nice lamps. I don't know much about these myself, but they can't be any newer than early '80s since Philips bought out Westinghouse lighting around that time so they might have some vintage merit. These lamps were rated in Lumens output (6000L), hence the odd wattage. Also, the 130v rating means a longer life. That's about all I know.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: 405W Westinghouse 405PS40/54 bulb - how common are these? « Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:17:54 AM » Author: Silverliner
GE made the 405w lamp until like 3 years ago. Today, the highest wattage for a street lighting incandescent lamp is 327w, but some general service incandescents up to 1000w are still made today. If I buy a case, which I hope to do maybe next month, I can determine the precise date code, but judging from the base molding design, they are most likely early 70s.

BTW Don is correct Westinghouse was bought out by Philips in '83, the Westy name was still used for a couple of years afterwards but these specific bulbs would have been made in Canada then.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies