Author Topic: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs  (Read 4917 times)
abegmarine
i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « on: April 15, 2013, 11:03:09 PM » Author: abegmarine
I have 3 great looking sconces and only one working bulb, anyone can help? I can email pics if interested, I cant upload the file is too large
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:54:19 PM by abegmarine » Logged
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 03:17:33 AM » Author: Ash
Resize the picture with a graphics editor to let it be uploaded
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:17:13 AM » Author: dor123
File size is limite to 4KB. More than this, the site don't lets to upload. It don't have to do with the resolution.
Youtube videos are uploaded, by inserting their URL inside the correct columns. Direct video uploading to this site isn't possible.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:43 AM » Author: Ash
The fil size depends on resolution, quality and file format. I think we can put the format aside cause all cameras output JPEGs, so we are down to resolution and quality

Unless the file quality is exceptionally high, issue is usually that new multi-megapixel cameras make pictures of extremely high resolution, now that is one thing you can lower without affecting the quality

If he picture quality is close to 100% thats another thing to play with, when saving the picture you have a choice of quality, generally you won't go below 75% on that
toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 06:30:18 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
could we be lucky enough for these to simply be an f15t8 that is curved?
and a way to heat one and curve it?
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:42:11 PM » Author: DieselNut

They look to be EXACTLY that actually.  I laid a piece of string along the centerline of the Circlarc's curve and it is exactly the same length as a F15T8.
Also, if anyone comes across a nice find of these tubes, I need at least seven, preferrably eight for my four two tube fixtures.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:43:58 PM by DieselNut » Logged

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 11:27:53 PM » Author: Medved

Curving an existing tube is not possible at all, it is way more realistic to have the new tubes custom made.
But something came to my mind: Doesn't someone here have access to prototyping tools? Maybe you could talk him into making few lamps...
But for sure, that won't be for free...

No more selfballasted c***

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 07:51:25 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
wasnt sure if one could form a tube under slight pressure/vacuum if it was kept at a reasonable temp.
i know if it got too soft it will suck/blow through.
did that to some o1a's i was regettering.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51:13 AM » Author: Ash
Possible - at least a bit.... http://www.richardbox.com/flux.htm

Btw check out his other stuff in the "archive" too, some haunted things in there
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:36:31 PM » Author: Medved
Possible - at least a bit.... http://www.richardbox.com/flux.htm

Well, the guy have an equipment to make Neon tubes, so I would more believe it was newly made tube of that shape.

Finished lamp you can not form anymore simply because of the pressure difference, but if you are about to make a new tube, you may form the glass to any shape you wish. Then you need an equipment to evacuate it ("Neon shops") and activate the electrodes (in case they are of hot emission type) - for that you need the coat to be applied quite shortly before the activation and then the activation is quite sensitive process (so "neon" makers usually do not use it)...

But what would be way easier to make the "coilcarc" shaped cold cathode tube. It won't be as much efficient, it would require special ballast (an NST or notebook's CCFL inverter), but the necessary equipment and materials should be available in any "neon" shop. So at least you may make the fixture at least looking alive...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:24:44 PM » Author: Ash
To me this tube looks like an ordinary 58w stuck in a PP65...
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 11:46:07 PM » Author: Medved
It is tube of same length, diameter, uses same sockets, but who say it is of the same electrical spec and brightness.

Moreover for that art to be really enjoyable, the tube should not be blinding, otherwise the effect of the "creepiness" won't be visible...

If I look to the rest, all of them are based on the cold cathode "neon" tubes (ropes, cooker, signs), only some of them are based on light pipes (LED?).

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 04:00:02 AM » Author: Ash
Dont see why wouldnt it be....

To drop the brightness he could do anything from replacing to a lower power ballast, to using a mercury starved lamp in the first place
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i have 3 working CIRCLARC fixtures, need bulbs « Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 04:34:09 AM » Author: Medved
Dont see why wouldnt it be....

To drop the brightness he could do anything from replacing to a lower power ballast, to using a mercury starved lamp in the first place

The drop in the brignthess came with the technology change.
Bending tube with vacuum in it is impossible.
If you soften it too much, it would collapse.
If too little, you create too high tension inside, so it would crack very soon.
And the heating the tube releases gasses from the phosphor, what then "poison" the tube fill mixture, so the tube may easily stop working purely for that reason.

So for such display it is way easier to make the tube without the vacuum (you may start from a commercial fluorescent and reuse the phosphor) and use the discharge technology you have in your neon shop - the cold cathode.

The hot cathode technology required for high brigntness tube is out of reach for "neon" shops, for manual sample making it is available only in fluorescent factories, where it uses the production equipment for the critical tasks (pumping, degassing, electrode activation, filling, sealing), what require very accurate control attainable only on an automated machine, accurately adjusted for the given lamp (here the main important point is, the machine make it always very exactly the same, so after few trials you are able to set it).

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies