Author Topic: MAZDAFLUOR and Philips Fluorescent tubes, late 60's  (Read 3688 times)
Plex
MAZDAFLUOR and Philips Fluorescent tubes, late 60's « on: October 28, 2013, 11:52:02 AM » Author: Plex
Hi, I'm new here so I will present myself and my work, briefly :
I'm a restorer in France, currently working on two kinetic art pieces, from the late 60's (1967 and 1970). They were made by an Italian artist in Paris, and now they are part of the collections of the Museum of Modern Art of Paris. Basically, they produce a light effect, combining colors, shapes and movement.

Those pieces are made in plywood, PMMA, with meccano parts, and a lightning system. There are two MAZDAFLUOR light bulbs (F14T12, 16W) in the oldest work (1967), which aren't working anymore (the cathodes have burned out), and three Philips (F24T12, 20W) which are luckily working! I'm quite puzzled by the two old MAZDAFLUOR, since I've done much research but haven't find a single mention of "Blanc Super", a model I guess was only available in France.

I found this forum when I was looking for a clue on those mysterious dots, and so I found those are the old date codes (thank you !). If someone could help me with this, I would be glad ! Well, I do know the date of creation of the work, since it's signed, but I would love more information about the actual bulbs.

I found the datecode of the philips : J9, which mean September 1969 (The "i" is omitted right?), which appear to correspond (the work is dated 1970). But for the two Mazdafluor...this is a dots/dash date code, so I have no idea ! But I noticed some people here talking about the shape of the lamp end, which is quite specific for each brand if I understand correctly. Does anyone have some information, some pieces of history about this ?

I became quite fond of those "vintage" lightning systems since I started working on it, and I'm glad I happened to find this forum, I'm learning a lot through it, thank you.
TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: MAZDAFLUOR and Philips Fluorescent tubes, late 60's « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:27:51 PM » Author: TL8W
Hello! It was quite by chance I saw your article in the forum which I must say I don't get the chance to read as often as I would like. Anyhow let me answer your questions albeit a year late! J9, you are 100% correct is, September 1969. Your dotted lamp is made somewhat earlier and in fact presents something of a problem. The dotted code was used from January 1958 to December 1963. Up to 4 diagonal dashes were used to represent the year, whilst dots numbering between five and zero, were printed in 12 different configurations to give the month, for example 2 dots occurs 3 times a year with the dots in different positions. Philips set this pattern into their rubber stamps which were used on all Philips products and as I now know, Mazda in France. The 3 dots in a triangle with two top and one bottom represents the month of March. The single dash represents 1961, and this is the only place doubt has arisen. Philips stamp puts the dash at the top right of the pattern not the bottom left. Assuming this was just a mistake in the cutting of the stamp (they were given with all the dots and dashes to start with) it would suggest the French factory did not take care in positioning the remaining single dash for 1961. The two dots to your left are weeks (Week 2 of March 1961 is your lamp) Hope this is helpful if not too late,

Regards,

Lee (Londres, Amngleterre)

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: MAZDAFLUOR and Philips Fluorescent tubes, late 60's « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 06:39:24 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
A 16 watt F14T12? Is it 15" long? That's a new one to me!

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies