Author Topic: western electric sunbeam Mazda  (Read 2713 times)
blueline
western electric sunbeam Mazda « on: January 05, 2014, 10:17:53 AM » Author: blueline
I found this cool bulb in a dresser I bought at a thrift store. It appears the filament is continuous.  From what I could find, it was made between 1915 - 1920?  Are these rare? Can I screw it into a lamp to see if it works or would that break it? I was thinking I could put it on a dimmer with dimmer dialed down to not break the filament? Thanks!
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: western electric sunbeam Mazda « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 04:03:30 PM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
That does look like an old one - neat find! Generally, it is a good idea to test old incandescent bulbs on a dimmer to reduce the thermal shock to the filament.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: western electric sunbeam Mazda « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:07 PM » Author: funkybulb
I have one a bit older than this but it made before 1920s
I think. This is a good piece to hang on to for sure.
A variac is the best. But a dimmer will do but dont run a dimmer to max as these vintage lamps rated 110 volts
As our line voltage is  near 120 volts, my line voltage can reach as high as 128 volts.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: western electric sunbeam Mazda « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 08:44:11 PM » Author: nicksfans
I have one that is very similar to this, if not the same. Mine still lights.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies