Author Topic: [FOUND] Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast  (Read 2301 times)
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
[FOUND] Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « on: March 13, 2014, 03:57:21 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Hi all,

I wish to acquire the aforementioned ballast. I can get one pretty easily on eBay, but I figure I would inquire here in case anyone has one they wouldn't mind getting rid of. If you do, I'd love to hear from you. I'd be good for either paying or a trade (although I doubt I have anything anyone would want to trade for). The ballast will be used to power an MV lamp, so I won't need the capacitor or ignitor.

With this being said, if anyone actually has a 50W MV ballast that they would ship off to a good home, I'd be interested, as well (although that's a VERY unlikely case  :P ).

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:36:02 PM by TheMaritimeMan » Logged

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:17:15 AM » Author: lights*plus
I wish to acquire the aforementioned ballast. I can get one pretty easily on eBay, but I figure I would inquire here in case anyone has one they wouldn't mind getting rid of. If you do, I'd love to hear from you. I'd be good for either paying or a trade (although I doubt I have anything anyone would want to trade for). The ballast will be used to power an MV lamp, so I won't need the capacitor or ignitor.

These are hard to come by and the few on ebay are overpriced. For us canucks this is mostly due to the high cost for Priority shipping. I have a Universal Lighting 50w M110 kit lamp Cat. No. M50MLTlTLC3M and it's a 4tap (120/208/240/277V) HX-HPF autotransformer ballast. I could part with it for $35 shipping included from Montreal to New Brunswick. Let me know if interested.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 09:24:08 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Hi,

Does the ballast come with the capacitor, or does it even require one? Advance states that their unit doesn't require the capacitor to function normally, but I can't find anything from Universal regarding this.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:05:32 PM » Author: lights*plus
I couldn't find anything as well. The ballast is quad-tap and has a tap for a 6mfd capacitor. I would leave everything as it is, so you can plug a 50w MH or experiment with a MV lamp.

$35 USD paypal for what you see OR $35 CAD if you can send me a personal check from a Canadian bank, shipped from the Montreal area as soon as payment is cleared. PM me for details or use the email on pics.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 10:12:33 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Yep, I see a cap and an ignitor.  ;D I'll message you!

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: [FOUND] Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 02:09:58 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
I picked up the package today! Thanks again! And thanks for packing it so well - I had to wrestle it out of its wraps! I tried it on my mercury vapor lamp, and it works beautifully. It actually overdrives it quite a bit, with the lamp doing almost 70 watts (so it would probably be more suitable for a 75 watt lamp), but I found that running a 250 watt incandescent lamp in series with the ballast (basically running it on only 100 volts instead of 120) brought the current down to a good level.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: [FOUND] Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:28:46 PM » Author: lights*plus
Yep 75 is the known wattage of MV lamp that runs correctly on a 50w MH ballast.
250w incandescent lamp in series, like this??

120V:_____Blk:250W-Inc:Wht_____Blk:50w-MH:Wht____:COM
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

Re: [FOUND] Advance 71A5181 50W MH ballast « Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 05:18:34 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Yep, the incandescent lamp is connected in between the outlet and the ballast. I have it connected on the neutral side just to reduce the number of contact points on the hot side. The voltage measured across the ballast in this configuration is about 100V. I'll see if I can squeeze both the ballast and the incandescent lamp into my fixture.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies