Author Topic: Xenon lamps  (Read 6796 times)
Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Xenon lamps « on: July 10, 2006, 03:01:53 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
Xenon lamps well known in car headlights but i do not see them in use in streetlighting or other aplications. Why?
arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon lamps « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 03:43:49 PM » Author: arcblue
The Xenon lamps you are probably thinking of in car headlights are HID metal halide lamps, actually, but they use Xenon for starting plus a special ballast & instant-restrike ignitor to minimize the warm up time (you will notice they are a mercury vapor blue color for a few seconds just after being turned on). (I used to think they were pure Xenon arc lamps until I read otherwise).

There'd be no advantage to using this setup for streetlighting, where the warmup time of a standard (argon filled) metal halide lamp is not a problem and it will last longer (up to 20,000 hrs vs about 2000 I think for the car headlight). Now, for indoor household lighting  - I wouldn't mind having some but I doubt they will ever exist because of the high cost, short life and high-voltage hazard.

There also are Xenon-filled incandescents (too inefficent for streetlighting) and Xenon short-arc lamps (also too inefficent for streetlighting use, but they are used for high power search lights).

I do agree that the white color of vaporized Xenon does make a nice light though.

I'm lampin...

Santaarnpaal

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Xenon lamps « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:05:34 PM » Author: Santaarnpaal
Thanks for the information  8)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies