Author Topic: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection  (Read 5362 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « on: July 02, 2014, 10:46:25 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I got this lovely mustard yellow 1978 Eljer Emblem at the Restore today for $10.00. (I sweet talked the manager down from $35.) I love these old Eljers because they just are just so unique. Even on the water saver line, it has a very thorough flush.
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:54:51 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Can't say I ever seen a yellow toilet before.  :P Good for masking when it needs to be cleaned.  :D

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 09:48:14 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Yep, it is a very interesting color. Almost a cross between harvest gold and avocado. I had to play dentist for this thing today. Turns out it has not done regular brushing, and ended up with bad plaque in its siphon jet, which reduced waterflow. I scraped it all out with a screwdriver bit, and now it flushes faster and more completely.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 06:54:02 PM » Author: ace100w120v
A toilet collector huh? Cool!
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:27 PM » Author: DieselNut
AWESOME!  I never knew there were fellow "toilet collectors"!  I am somewhat one myself.  Just like I like full power ballasts and fluorescent tubes, I like full power toilets!  In my house, have a 1978 Kohler with elongated bowl and it is dark chocolate brown in color.  It is a good ole 4 gallon per flush powerhouse too!  It was bought new and installed in the house I pretty much grew up in.  When I bought my farm and restored my house, I brought the toilet with me and installed a cheesie little 1.6 gpf crapper in its place. I have a 3.5 gpf in my second bathroom, which was in the one original bathroom in the house when I bought it (house was built in 1939 and originally had an outhouse/no indoor plumbing).  In my shop, I have a very similar 3.5 gpf, with standard round bowl.  In my "$hit shack", I have a men's and women's restroom, with matching 3.5 gpf commercial toilets (can't remember the brand name) that were given to me by a plumbing friend when he did a remodel.  I also got three wall hanging sinks, all of which are in use in these restrooms.  In my barn, I have three additional toilets, as spares.  One is a 3.5gpf Kohler, with round bowl and is a creme color.  All the others are standard white.  One came out of my grandparent's basement and one came from a neighbor.  My local ReStore has lots of toilets, but I never thought about "collecting' them. Since the good full power ones are banned by our beloved government (are we not a "free" country?), they definitely have a collector value, just like our vintage lighting.  By the way, I am on a well and septic tank system, so all the water I "use" inside my house (with full flow toilets, full flow shower heads and full flow sink faucets) is really only "borrowed" because it comes out of the ground, is "used" and then goes back into the ground and is filtered by nature.  Us rural folks are natural "recyclers".

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:42 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
That's awesome, DieselNut! I dream of one day living in a rural area in in the Illinois/Wisconsin area some day. Where nobody will bother me or my stuff!
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 02:28:19 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
Since the topic is toilets, I'll mention Married... With Children "A Dump Of My Own" (Season Three Episode Five)
Al decides to build his own bathroom, and he buys a very special Ferguson toilet. The whole episode is absolutely hysterical.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:43:06 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
And lets not forgot what we heard every time Archie got nervous and went upstairs in All in the Family;D

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

LegacyLighting

View Posts
View Gallery

Blake

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 07:54:13 AM » Author: LegacyLighting
Wow how interesting - collecting toilets! Our toilet was a chocolate brown colour when we bought the house - had a big cistern on top with a good strong flush that I really miss now that I have replaced it. RIP poor old 'Brownie' as we used to call it! From memory it was made by Royal Doulton. We have a few names for toilets here in Australia: Dunny, Crapper, Can, or 'The John' (wherever that came from).
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 07:41:45 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I got two new toilets at the Restore. I got a 1962 Kohler Wellworth, and a circa 1960 Mystery "Standard." I say "Mystery" because I have no idea what model it is. I knew it wasn't a Cadet since the Cadet has four bolt holes. I think it might be a Compact Cadet, but the tank is different than a Compact Cadet. The original sticker on the tank is in the newer gothic American-Standard font. 
RichD

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:48 PM » Author: RichD
I'll say it again: this forum never ceases to amaze me! Although I'm not a toilet collector, I have been interested in them for almost as long as I've been into lighting. I still remember my favorite. It was in the home of a childhood friend. What made that particular unit special is that the tank did not sit on top of the bowl. Instead the tank was mounted to the wall, and was connected to the bowl by an L-shaped pipe. This particular toilet was the only one I've ever seen/used that employed a tank ball instead of a flapper.

Only on LG can I share stuff like this.  :) If I dared discuss such subjects in "real life" I'm sure I'd soon find the guys in white at my door with those funny jackets that have the buckles in the back...
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 01:37:25 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
I openly discuss my hobbies in public. If somebody insults me over and over again, I'll just knock them into next week. If it's Monday or Tuesday, you REALLY don't want that.
don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 09:59:33 PM » Author: don93s
Lol...I'm ready to blow up the one I have in the bathroom when I replace it. It constantly clogs and has the smallest drain hole I've ever seen. Anyone have some TNT? What's a good model to buy at a modest price?
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 12:19:46 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
If there is a Restore in your area, you can easily find a Vintage "Standard", Kohler, Crane, etc for much less $$$ than a new toilet.  All you would have to do is clean it with some bleach cleaner and put new Korky parts in the tank. If there is no Restore in your area, or you just want a brand new one, the Kohler Class 6 is my recommendation. IIRC, the Wellworth, seen above, is the longest running Kohler toilet ever. They still make it today with the Class 5 flushing system.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Got a new toilet for my toilet collection « Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 02:06:29 AM » Author: icefoglights
I at one time when I was young had an interest in toilets.  Not so much the porcelain part itself, but the assortment of valves and pipes that ran them, from the ball-on-an-arm or sliding cylinder type, to the various shapes of commercial flush valves and their unique noises they made.  Also of interest was an old Pizza Hut building (long since torn down) that had urinals with external traps, like the bathroom sinks had.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies