Author Topic: Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial  (Read 4026 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial « on: September 28, 2014, 01:08:18 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Makes me reminiscent for the days of lighting gone by.   Gibson video

I watched the video, and now I want a Uni-Race Ortho 77 in here! Those fixtures are BEAUTIFUL! Orders of magnitude better than the crap made today!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 01:25:56 AM by TheUniversalDave1 » Logged
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial « Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:56:48 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
That modular design is ingenious. An example of the thought and engineering that doesn't really go into stuff like this anymore.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 12:17:17 AM » Author: Medved
...doesn't really go into stuff like this anymore.
Understood it as statement of such modular concept not made anymore...
And that is not true. There are many such modular concepts, the "top" one is the track lighting used nearly everywhere in the commercial sector.

But each sword has two cutting edges:
On that film it looks nice, when all components have precisely the shape they should. But once there is some deviation (slight damage,...; happens very frequently), the whole concept collapses and it becomes a nightmare to keep the thing together, because there is no "tradditional backup" for the installation. But that is common drawback of all such "quick assembly" concepts...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:49:47 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 12:28:21 AM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Ahem. Trent stated his opinion, and what gives you the right to say his opinion is false‽  Maybe it's just because we're young, but I too think that Gibson had a pretty ingenious design. I've never seen a fluorescent light designed like this anywhere else, and if properly maintained, I'm sure it would last a lifetime.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 11:33:41 AM » Author: DieselNut
These Gibson fixtures are extremely well made.  It is a shame there were not many more sold and even more of a shame the sorry quality of crap made these days.  UniversalDave, Nicksfans and Powell all have one of these, but in an open design (no louvers).  I have two in use and several more put up for future use. 

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial « Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 07:54:52 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Yes, these fixtures are awesome. They are quite overbuilt. When I restored mine, there were about 3 dozen screws holding the beast together.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Vintage Gibson Ortho 77 tutorial « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:36 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I wish I had some to hang in my 'lab' in the basement, they'd provide lots of light for me. Plus, they'd withstand my experiments and my wild friends when they come over. 

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies