Author Topic: I don't get it  (Read 7361 times)
Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

I don't get it « on: October 19, 2014, 02:58:20 AM » Author: Larry
Here is another "restored" antique Fluorescent fixture. ::)
I have no problem with that as I have restored a few myself.
But what I don't understand is why anyone would think that a "restored" fluorescent light fixture is now worth more than a original unrestored fluorescent light fixture. ???

Also putting a electronic ballast in a antique fluorescent light fixture is not my idea of a restoration.
But to each his own I guess.
I also think this fixture is about $400 too much. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-VTG-Art-Deco-4-Foot-Fluorescent-Light-Fixture-porcelain-Enamel-shade-1-/281471032045?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item4188fb1aed

The seller did not get any bids.
Why am I not surprised?

What can I say? :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-INDUSTRIAL-LIGHTS-ART-DECO-1930S-FLORESCENT-RESTORED-/271634214591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3ea92ebf

Here is a Day Bright fixture that is a little more reasonable. ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-INDUSTRIAL-DAY-BRITE-LIGHTING-FLUORESCENT-LIGHT-FIXTURE-/151444445187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2342cad803

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:40:31 AM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: I don't get it « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 02:33:05 PM » Author: nicksfans
If the original ballast had failed or its wiring had become brittle, I don't blame them for installing a new one. I'd still prefer to buy a fixture with an original ballast and wiring and replace stuff as I see fit.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't get it « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 05:35:23 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
When I saw that electronic ballast, I almost puked. I guess as long as it's a Sylvania Quicktronic (Highest quality HF ballast, yes?) and programmed start, it's okay. 
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't get it « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:25:35 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent

The Art Deco 4 foot fluorescent light fixture with the $400 tag has got to be in my opinion one of the best looking  industrial fluorescent fixtures I have ever seen

And although it is , It's still not worth the $400 tag ,

The sad part as usual they along with all the rest of the good stuff is far up north Whitch is pretty much out of reach and par for the course as usual nowdays ,

$125 per light on the high end if he can get it and then there's shipping ,

Here is another "restored" antique Fluorescent fixture. ::)
I have no problem with that as I have restored a few myself.
But what I don't understand is why anyone would think that a "restored" fluorescent light fixture is now worth more than a original unrestored fluorescent light fixture. ???

Also putting a electronic ballast in a antique fluorescent light fixture is not my idea of a restoration.
But to each his own I guess.
I also think this fixture is about $400 too much. :o

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-VTG-Art-Deco-4-Foot-Fluorescent-Light-Fixture-porcelain-Enamel-shade-1-/281471032045?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item4188fb1aed

What can I say? :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-INDUSTRIAL-LIGHTS-ART-DECO-1930S-FLORESCENT-RESTORED-/271634214591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3ea92ebf

Here is a Day Bright fixture that is a little more reasonable. ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-INDUSTRIAL-DAY-BRITE-LIGHTING-FLUORESCENT-LIGHT-FIXTURE-/151444445187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2342cad803

BG101

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE H80 Mercury Vapour

Brian TheTellyman
Re: I don't get it « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:12:17 AM » Author: BG101
It is rather expensive at almost $1000! I would at least expect all the old parts to be included in the sale, this has lost a lot of its originality. :-(

BG

Say NO to DICTATORSHIP in the form of bulb/tube/ballast bans !!

themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: I don't get it « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 11:49:42 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
I agree that of course a restored fixture should be worth more than an unrestored one. That goes for just about anything.

[...] a Sylvania Quicktronic (Highest quality HF ballast, yes?)

Maybe second to the 1990s Motorola ballasts. But that's just my assumption.  ::) Sylvania actually bought out Motorola's lighting division, anyway, so their ballasts might be based on the same design.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

Larry

View Posts
View Gallery

Rated PG 17

Re: I don't get it « Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 01:11:00 PM » Author: Larry
Like antique cars for example.
There are several different types of automobile "restoration".
All the way from a $100 paint job to a million dollar Barrett Jackson offering.

A old light fixture with a electronic ballast is not my idea of a "restoration".
I would call it "repaired".

I just finished working on a 1941 Fleur-o-lier 80 watt industrial fixture.
It looks better when I was finished with it than it did before I worked on it.
And I am happy with it, but I don't consider it "restored".
And the reason is to do a correct restoration to it may be impossible as I could not find any finishing company anywhere that would refinish the damaged porcelain reflector with a new porcelain finish.
All declined for the same reason.
Fear of warping during firing.

With out this, there is no way I could call the fixture "restored".

Instead, I "repaired" it the best I could and it looks ok, to me anyway. :D

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:41:57 AM by Larry » Logged

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's GE Power Groove

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't get it « Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:02:05 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
its not restored its repaired.
and no i wont pay that sort of coin for a hack job that is being called "restoration"
if i modernise something like that its 100% reverseable.or it was totally trashed when i got it and i made it useful/presentable/safe again.
some things should just be left in their present state.like t17 fixtures or original first of its kind items like 1939 fluorescent fixtures,original edison bulbs,deforest audions(yes i own one and wont even try to fire it up).i see far too many examples of nice original stuff ruined by "restoration".
for example antique radio cabinets are typicly laquered and not mirror shiney.
far too many MORONS! slop polyurethane on them.wish i could slop it on their heads!
and dont even get me started on this whole "shabby chic" mess.those idiots should be pickled in the crap they spread on stuff!
Steele1992

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't get it « Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:29:56 PM » Author: Steele1992
toomanybulbs is right.

If it was a cord or a few screws, that's expected. But you can't just take the entire thing and put modern parts in it and call it "restored". If he would have found an original ballast from the time and installed it, then yes that would apply. The term to use is "retrofitted", and to me, that kind of stuff ain't worth jack. You might as well go to IKEA and find something made in that style for cheaper.

It makes me wonder if he ever even plugged them in as they were and seen if the original parts actually worked. Probably not.

I have this Bendix radio table that would be worth a lot of money, but the radio shop my parents had repair it, they used knobs from a 1980's stereo, modern Philips screws, a modern neon white cord, and a 1990's speaker out of a TV set that is 3 times smaller than the original. It's alleged to be worth $400, but I can't get $20 out if it.

I collect exit signs, preferably vintage ones.

I also have a little bit of a thing for light bulbs, too. Of course, hoarding them due to the incandescent bulb ban.

(Signature last updated October 27, 2011)

toomanybulbs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't get it « Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 07:33:11 AM » Author: toomanybulbs
look around you can often find knobs,speakers,ect that are correct on ebay,hamfests,ect.
which bendix is it?i own a 526c.
its sort of rare.
toomanybulbs is right.

If it was a cord or a few screws, that's expected. But you can't just take the entire thing and put modern parts in it and call it "restored". If he would have found an original ballast from the time and installed it, then yes that would apply. The term to use is "retrofitted", and to me, that kind of stuff ain't worth jack. You might as well go to IKEA and find something made in that style for cheaper.

It makes me wonder if he ever even plugged them in as they were and seen if the original parts actually worked. Probably not.

I have this Bendix radio table that would be worth a lot of money, but the radio shop my parents had repair it, they used knobs from a 1980's stereo, modern Philips screws, a modern neon white cord, and a 1990's speaker out of a TV set that is 3 times smaller than the original. It's alleged to be worth $400, but I can't get $20 out if it.
DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: I don't get it « Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 02:14:30 PM » Author: DieselNut

Surely it's obvious? You're paying for the fact that someone has done the work for you in doing the restoration work. Much like a clapped out old Corvette will go for a lot less than one that's been redone from the chassis up.

If restoration work had no value then surely no one would do it on a commercial basis.
So by what you are saying, it would be fine to "restore" that Corvette by gutting it and replacing its "old" mechanical V8 engine with a "modern" fuel injected 4 cylinder engine (and all new wiring and hardware)?

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

lg3rd1
Re: I don't get it « Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 10:43:25 AM » Author: lg3rd1
For me, I'd rather have the unrestored original fixture.  Many people think they can re-wire and paint with a spray-can from Home Depot and it is restored.  The enjoyment is researching the original finishes, etc., which are usually destroyed by the restoration.

The ebay seller who sells a "restored" fixture are just looking to get more money.  I guess I can't can't blame them for trying to maximize income but they are often destroying a historical artifact in the process.

Lampwizard

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't get it « Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 03:46:24 PM » Author: Lampwizard
Well, I do get it.

This seller is simply trying to make a buck by targeting people who want a fancy retro fixture to decorate their house or store and who have plenty of money left to burn. Unlike us, the intended buyers do not have the anal obsession with lamps, ballasts, staters, sockets, wires and what have you. So they couldn't care less if a repair or restauration has been done by the self-imposed tandards that "we" as purists hold highly or not. All they care for is that the fixture has the right external looks and the promise that it is somehow rare and thus unique. Since the price is high, it must be rare, so they reason.

Frankly speaking I can't be bothered at all by asking prices for lighting-relaed stuff on fleabay, no matter how high they may seem. For every price there is a buyer and it takes only one buyer -and patience- to find out that the asking price was right.

A comparison with classic cars would be a bit skewed. These cars are not only bought for fun but also as an investment unlike fixtures. So no one in his right mind would put a modern fuel-injected twin-turbo charged 2014 engine in a vintage V8-equipped Corvette; that would diminish the resale value of the car drastically.

Most stuff that once used to be discarded of as "junk" like cars, fixtures, audio equipment etc. etc. will at one moment in time return in fashion. That's when you suddenly see asking prices go up. A bit sour for those who were ahead of that curve when prices were still low but that's how it goes in the marketplace. Today's junk can be tomorrow's gold. Those with a crystal ball can tell what exactly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:51:24 PM by Lampwizard » Logged

Philips colour 27: best fluorescent tube colour.

dspiffy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I don't get it « Reply #13 on: March 01, 2015, 03:24:25 PM » Author: dspiffy
Lampwizard hit the nail on the head.  The money is in selling to people who want a vintage item for use and decor purposes, but are not collectors.  Collectors are comparably cheap.  Collectors would rather buy something original and do the work themselves, other buyers dont have the faintest clue and want something they can trust, if not they'll get a reproduction.  And the (in this example) $400 price tag is often cheaper than a reproduction.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: I don't get it « Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 06:53:27 PM » Author: lights*plus
The horrible pictures on many ebay sellers speaks volumes. Bad Pics = Bad Seller as far as I can tell, and always turns out to be dissapointing. And "vintage" is subject to each one's interpretation, so I always stay away from ebay vintage stuff.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies