Author Topic: Woolworth's  (Read 7600 times)
Bluesvan

View Posts
View Gallery

Woolworth's « on: December 19, 2014, 10:23:48 PM » Author: Bluesvan
Interesting half pipers shown at the 4:20 mark.  This building has been empty for 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb5xyaQ5tcE
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Woolworth's « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:55:28 PM » Author: nicksfans
They say they're going through "with a fine-toothed comb" to preserve anything significant. Guess a few awesome halfpipers don't fall into that category. :'(

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Woolworth's « Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 12:20:41 PM » Author: hannahs lights
O remember our Woolworths in Newbury where I used to live had large square lights I think they were 4 tube fittings with a lightbulb in 2 corners. I only remember seeing the bulbs lit once during the power shortages of the early 1970s. I was only a small girl them so I don't remember if they were battery or mains
rlshieldjr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Woolworth's « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:02:32 PM » Author: rlshieldjr
I remember Woolworth's, my mother would call it the "Dime Store", I think the light were 2X F96T12 strips.
@ Hannah: Those incandescents may have been low voltage bulbs on a central battery backup, or even 120 volt on a 120v battery string like 10 X 12v.
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Woolworth's « Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 02:00:43 PM » Author: hannahs lights
They could well have been in those days everyone had to reduce there electrical load so they fired up the emergency lamps and switched off the main lamps. I guess they recharged the battery's at nite when when there was no power restrictions.
vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Woolworth's « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:45:15 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
Had I seen this posting last year I would have made the trip there,

If they closed it in 72 that means the fluorescent bulbs are from that time or older,

Here's what I would have saved,

1. All guth fans hanging over the lunch counter,

2. Those cool half pipers hanging up in the back office at 4:20

3. All 4 ft fluorescent light bulbs and other fixtures I could get my hands on,

This makes me sick :(

Interesting half pipers shown at the 4:20 mark.  This building has been empty for 40 years.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Woolworth's « Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:21:49 AM » Author: Lumex120
Had I seen this posting last year I would have made the trip there,

If they closed it in 72 that means the fluorescent bulbs are from that time or older,

Here's what I would have saved,

1. All guth fans hanging over the lunch counter,

2. Those cool half pipers hanging up in the back office at 4:20

3. All 4 ft fluorescent light bulbs and other fixtures I could get my hands on,

This makes me sick :(

Sickening for me to watch too. I would have paid a nice wad of cash for one of those halfpipers or fans over the counter. But, as usual, they only pay attention to the stuff that they "think" is rare, and pay absolutely no attention to the stuff that should be saved. >:( >:( >:( :'(

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies