Author Topic: How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs  (Read 1926 times)
drogue design
How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs « on: January 28, 2015, 06:50:02 AM » Author: drogue design
Hello im just wondering if there's a possible way of prolonging the pink glow you get on the startup of some sodium bulbs.

Thanks dd
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:28:14 PM » Author: Medved
Underdriving the lamps would be easier on a HF ballast (from some CFL,...), e.g. a 9..15W ballast feeding a 35W SOX...
You just short circuit where was the tube filament and each of them connect to the SOX lamp.
But after this treatment, never ever try to turn ON the ballast without the lamp, it will blow within seconds...

In any case the lamp will not survive intact: Either the vacuum loss, or the electrode wear from underdriving.

No more selfballasted c***

drogue design
Re: How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:32:27 PM » Author: drogue design
Ok thanks guys for reply. Seems a little more hassle than its worth...maybe a cathode tube instead.
dd
Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:07:50 PM » Author: Luminaire
Take it to a neon shop and get them to fit it with a plain argon tube.
drogue design
Re: How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 12:00:29 PM » Author: drogue design
Luminarie will a cathode tube give me more or less the same effect as a argon tube?

Thanks dd
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs « Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 12:33:40 PM » Author: Medved
Luminarie will a cathode tube give me more or less the same effect as a argon tube?

Thanks dd

What do you exactly mean by the "cathode tube"?
Each discharge has all the time one cathode and one anode, eventually swapping over when the current polarity changes...
Or no cathode/anode at all, if it is an induction discharge...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:38:38 PM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

Luminaire

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to obtain and prolong the pink glow given off from sodium bulbs « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 03:38:55 AM » Author: Luminaire
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-noble-gases-in-ampoules-Helium-Neon-Argon-Krypton-Xenon-discharge-lamps-/171192525325

I searched the web and that's what I came up with. Expensive, but I wouldn't mind having a set. :D
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies