Author Topic: Could someone ID the ballast type and capacitance?  (Read 1421 times)
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Could someone ID the ballast type and capacitance? « on: March 17, 2015, 09:46:09 PM » Author: lights*plus
Here is a working 100watt HPS ballast. Found in an OV-15 somewhere in Ontario, Canada. Every label is gone. I can tell that's it's likely a CWA ballast but need the capacitor value..what's the micro farads most likely for a 100w CWA HPS ballast?
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: Could someone ID the ballast type and capacitance? « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:26 AM » Author: themaritimegirl
Advance makes a CWA unit that uses a 35 uF cap. That's all I could find, since it appears most 100W HPS ballasts are HX.

If the ballast indeed works, you could use a multimeter that reads capacitance to measure it. Otherwise, if you like experimenting, you could use a multimeter that reads AC current to measure the lamp current, then, using a dummy lamp you don't care about like a 34 watt F40T12, substitute known capacitors until you find one that yields the correct current.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

ggillis

View Posts
View Gallery

AEL 175W NEMA

Re: Could someone ID the ballast type and capacitance? « Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:06:10 PM » Author: ggillis
This is probably a Magnetek or a Universal ballast I think,  since it uses the spade connectors/terminals.

Red Seal Electrician

Click on the link below to view my gallery:

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11790

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies