Author Topic: whats the difference  (Read 1166 times)
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

whats the difference « on: April 24, 2015, 02:34:15 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Can someone tell me what's the difference between instant start and and rapid start they both seem the same to me but I know there must be some differences
themaritimegirl

View Posts
View Gallery

Florence

themaritimegirl themaritimegirl themaritimegirl
Re: whats the difference « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 04:12:39 PM » Author: themaritimegirl
Rapid start constantly heats the cathodes of the lamp at a low voltage, both before and after the lamp has started. The open-circuit voltage applied to the lamp is, ideally, such that the lamp won't start until the cathodes have heated up.

Instant start doesn't heat the cathodes at all. The open-circuit voltage is very high so as to permit starting the lamp with cold cathodes.

Electrical Engineering Graduate
YouTube | Twitter | Instagram

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: whats the difference « Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 07:52:48 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
In other words, rapid start is much less destructive to the cathodes. When a lamp is started instantly, the voltage is so high, that it blasts much more of the valuable emitter off of the filament causing reduced lamp life in frequently switched environments. Not to mention, rapid start is much more fun to watch!
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: whats the difference « Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:40:24 AM » Author: hannahs lights
Now I know the difference I think instant start must be a real tube murderer we don't see them much in the UK thanks for the replys guys
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: whats the difference « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 02:58:43 PM » Author: Medved
If the lamps are operated many hours per start, the starting wear does not play that much role anymore, so the higher reliability of the instant start means less problems in the field - the IS does not need so perfect lamp contacts (few Ohm contact resistance on RS means that cathode does not get sufficient heat, so the lamp does not start), less wiring, so less prone to wiring errors, mechanically broken filament does not mean nonworking lamp, just high enough ignition voltage on IS means less sensitivity towards humidity or low temperatures (RS needs to have the voltage limited, to prevent cold electrode start in favorable conditions),...

Note, by the "higher reliability" I mean comparing two otherwise equivalent systems, so e.g. both autotransformer style, comparing the reliability of "magnetic" RS versus an electronic IS does not count...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies