Author Topic: Close encounters with nature  (Read 10680 times)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 01:07:04 AM » Author: ace100w120v
I've seen some pretty spectacular lightning/thunderstorms (At least IMO) but I'm sure they're nothing compared to places like Florida or Iowa or Kansas.
Solanaceae, if you don't mind me asking, what state do you live in?

Once, when I was living in Atascadero, CA, we had a MASSIVE thunderstorm at the end of an August.  It was really impressive.  Don't remember exactly what year but I'd say around 2007 or 2008.  (Had to be 2008 at the latest, I moved to Alaska after that).
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 01:24:40 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I'm in Illinois. Back in 2010, to be more specific, may 26,2010 we had a massive storm. It was three red blurbs on the radar that joined together over Springfield and it punched us with 6 in of rain in about 3 hours. We also had a storm in 2012 that struck a tree across the street and struck a pole, killing the power. We are expecting severe storms here on Sunday so I hope the potted garden makes it. We also had a storm in 2013 that struck near my house and it fried the directv receiver in my basement. The storm today had a lightning strike a quarter mile down the road and I heard and saw it. It was crazy.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 01:56:51 AM » Author: Solanaceae
I also was down by a creek with some friends. When we were leaving I was walking up the bank to get to the road and I slipped. I ended up grabbing onto a dead plant stem (Queen Anne's lace I think) and it lodjed a massive splinter about half an inch long and a tad over 1/16" wide in my left thumb. It stayed in the thumb for a week. It became infected and leaked thumb juice (probably pus) until I tried soaking in Epsom salt. It worked the splinter partly out and I finished the job with tweezers.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 11:22:07 PM » Author: Solanaceae
We are now getting a severe t storm. It is pouring and lots of lightning. No car alarms have gone off yet.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

TL8W

View Posts
View Gallery

Lee

None
Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 12:47:19 PM » Author: TL8W
Mine was an (albeit small) CG lightning strike 2 metres away from a train I on which I was travelling. It was around 1800hrs in north London on 29th May 1999. The light was a sharp, blinding blue brighter than sunlight, and the "audio" was by no means insubstantial! Needless to say it somewhat "shaped" my experience of thunderstorms since!

We do not have to agree on anything to be kind to one another. The ability to be civil is available to everyone on earth, for free.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 02:15:40 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I also remember going on the bike trail with some friends. Out of nowhere a huge thunderstorm popped up and threw a bunch of raid Down on us and it was real windy. Thankfully there was a pavilion that we hunkered down in.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 08:04:17 AM » Author: marcopete87
some years ago i was going to sitting over a viper  :o
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 05:03:48 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I was out playing with Bubby (cat) and he walked to the AC units and started flipping out. It turns out that he was having a turf war with a garter snake. I stepped in and then slapped the snake away so he wouldn't hurt Bubby and vice versa. The snake bit me on the arm and it stung but thankfully they aren't venomous.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 12:15:19 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Just 20 minutes ago, we (the band) were outside marching on the football field practicing our show, and out of nowhere, a big huge stormcloud comes up. It went from no rain to a downpour in literally 10 seconds. We all rushed to put our instruments back in the cases. We ran back to the band room completely soaked.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 08:12:53 AM » Author: Lumex120
Due to the fact that I have such bad luck, I have quite a few:
The first one:
This happened in late 2009 when I was in second grade. Anyway, the school I went to was new and a former auto parts store, so there were big windows in the classrooms. Out of my classroom window, you could see a tornado siren (A Federal Signal 2001-SRN). One day there was severe weather, and the siren sounded off. Since the school didn't really have any safe places, the teachers just put us in the room with the printers and copiers. We were able to come back out after about 20 minutes, but then the same thing happened again, 4 times (!). On the third time, you could actually see the outline of the tornado in the distance. Mind you, it was scary  :-[. After that, for weeks, everyone in the class was drawing pictures of tornadoes and sirens ::).
2:
I have always seemed to be a wasp magnet. Seriously, I have never been able to go out without them harassing me. One day (about 2 years ago), we were at a park having a picnic, and I was watching some ants building an anthill, when suddenly, a huge wasp flies right by my shoulder, and two others sting me on both legs. There was no nest in sight, so they must have attacked for no reason. I ran out, screaming, attracting lots of staring from others, So that was the end of our picnic.
3:
Another encounter with a wasp. I was teaching at my 4-H club how to make homemade fire extinguishers. I lit a fire, then was about to use it on it, when another huge wasp landed on my leg. It clung on, despite me desperately tring to get it off, but then it finally let go. To make a long story short, that was the end of the meeting.
4:
This happened last month or so. I was riding my new bike in a park, and was by a huge electrical switchyard and power poles. On the way back, there was very loud thunder (a few other people were with me, and they were quite behind, so I was afraid they weren't going to make it.) So, anyway, what happened is I rode back as fast as I could, and everytime I heard thunder and saw lightning, you could feel the energy by the power lines (it's really a weird feeling). I was afraid that lightning going to hit the pole and fry me, but thankfully it didn't. The other people with me made it fine too. As soon as I got in the car, it started downpouring. Now that is really a close encounter... :o
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:15:09 AM by Zarlog » Logged

Unofficial LG Discord

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 12:40:10 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Zarlog, do you watch Ghost Adventures?

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 01:15:40 PM » Author: Lumex120
Zarlog, do you watch Ghost Adventures?
No. Why?

Unofficial LG Discord

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 01:34:27 PM » Author: Lumex120
Speaking of wasps, anyone else scared of them? I am, and I run from them because I am scared of them. I have heard that this attracts them, so I really need to break the habit. ::)
@Solanaceae Did you test the lamps yet (I am worried the starting probes got damaged in shipping)? If you can, do that. That way, if they don't work, you don't have to send the ballast to me.
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:37:41 PM by Zarlog » Logged

Unofficial LG Discord

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #28 on: September 08, 2015, 02:26:10 PM » Author: Solanaceae
They do work and I'll get your ballast out soon. Sorry for the delay, I'm back in skool.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Close encounters with nature « Reply #29 on: September 08, 2015, 02:32:08 PM » Author: Lumex120
They do work and I'll get your ballast out soon. Sorry for the delay, I'm back in skool.
Good to hear! ;D

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies