Author Topic: Accidents with bulbs  (Read 1845 times)
TheUniversalDave1

View Posts
View Gallery

Accidents with bulbs « on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:33 PM » Author: TheUniversalDave1
Just today, my dad's coworker was severely injured by a broken light bulb. Legend has it that he was trying to replace a 26 watt 4 pin CFL, the bulb broke and got microscopic bits of glass in his eye. He had to go to The Eye Foundation and that's all I know. I thankfully haven't had any major accidents of my own yet.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 07:27:55 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Ouch :-[ I hope he's ok. I've had an incandescent that arced and went Pop. I also had a fluorescent tube that llost vacuum slowly. I picked it up to examine the end and it suddenly cracked and a shard o f glass barely missed my eye by about a centimeter.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:58:58 PM » Author: nicksfans
I was installing a Sylvania 25W G16 lamp with the power on, and as soon as the lamp made contact in the socket, the glass broke. Fortunately, I didn't get cut.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 02:53:55 AM » Author: Ash
I dropped a 70W SON-E/I HPS (Philips China with thinnish outer glass) into a box of CPU cooling heatsinks/fans. The thing covered them all with shards of glass and powder (coated lamp)

I found a 110W F96T12 on ther earth in a construction site. That looked intact. Picked it up (one hand in the center of the tube) and walked exatcly one meter. The tube broke in half (very clear ring crack) exactly next to my hand, with the implosion of a vacuum loss, and half of it fell to the earth and smashed to pieces. The other half was still in my hand. I got some minor scratch from the ends of the glass of it

Recently : I inserted a 18W T8 into a lantern that was laying around, but did not turn it in the sockets. Few days later i picked up the lantern, as soon as i flipped it over the lamp fell out and smashed
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:34 PM » Author: CEB1993
One time I was screwing in a GE 3-way bulb into my bedroom lamp.  I gripped the neck of the bulb and wanted to tighten it enough so the 3-way function would work.  The bulb shattered into hundreds of small pieces!  I got a pin (...) sized cut on my thumb that had one drop of blood and healed after only one day.  That could have been a lot worse.  It was a pain to clean up as the glass got all over the floor, the table, and on my bed.  I vacuumed it all up and was careful with bare feet just in case I missed a piece of glass.  The bulb was a 50, 100, 150 watt variety, made in Hungary, so not a cheapo off-brand bulb.  I guess the skinny part of the bulb at the neck is weaker than the wider part on top.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 05:11:22 AM » Author: Ash
It might have touched the socket neck
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 04:21:35 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
i have a very large list of bulb related accidents... in no particular order

I've accidentally dropped several HID lamps resultion in a loud bang
ive dropped many CFL's
many incandescents
i've prettymuch broken a lamp of each type...

luckily none of them special

ive also been shocked by mains voltage manytimes while changing bulbs.... unpleasant feeling but not as bad as many might think..

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 01:32:01 AM » Author: Ash
It may well depend on how much current oyu got. If you touch a Phase wire while standing up on a Wood ladder or another isolating surface, the current is limited mainly by the capacitance between you vs Earth, so will be low. If you happen to touch both Phase and Neutral it'll be a whole different story
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:39:24 AM » Author: Lodge
It may well depend on how much current oyu got. If you touch a Phase wire while standing up on a Wood ladder or another isolating surface, the current is limited mainly by the capacitance between you vs Earth, so will be low. If you happen to touch both Phase and Neutral it'll be a whole different story

20kV even insulated wasn't very nice to say the least from a neon transformer outputting about 250 watts, I couldn't move my arm for like an hour afterwards...
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Accidents with bulbs « Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 02:52:23 PM » Author: CEB1993
My new Bayco halogen work lamp included a 500 watt T3 halogen bulb.  It was a generic brand made in China bulb, so I attempted to install it until my good GE and Philips T3's arrived in the mail.  The end caps on this bulb were not cemented and broke off the moment I tried to snap it into the fixture.  Luckily the glass didn't break. 

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies