Author Topic: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers?  (Read 13276 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 05:43:35 PM » Author: Ash
Induction. Is allready used for road lighting with good results

Ordinary Fluorescent. Most motion sensor systems only do dimming and not full off, so there is no problem of frequent starting
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 05:54:49 PM » Author: wattMaster
And induction can have a very long life, too.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 06:27:37 PM » Author: Ash
They make T8's capable of 80K hours nowadays
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 07:32:33 PM » Author: wattMaster
I always thought that linear fluorescent streetlights were strange.

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #49 on: September 30, 2016, 08:13:40 PM » Author: mdcastle
So when they switched from carbon arc lamps to incandescent, was the lighting collector community furious and demanding they not got with "fads" like incandescent lamps?
When they switched from incandaescent to mercury vapor, was the lighting collector community furious and demanding they not go with "fads" like mercury vapor lamps.

Lighting technology changes and improves. The towers are still there.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 09:28:08 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
The lighting collector.. has no say in the matter.  They are the very low man on the totem pole.  Meaning, they can cry and complain all they want, it won't do one ounce of good. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 10:07:58 PM » Author: wattMaster
The lighting collector.. has no say in the matter.  They are the very low man on the totem pole.  Meaning, they can cry and complain all they want, it won't do one ounce of good. 
Unless you can take legal action.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 11:05:29 PM » Author: RCM442
Unless you can take legal action.
Legal action...no lawyer would even go near that as there is no legal action to be taken.  ::)
wattMaster, you need to get your facts straight before you comment on something you really don't know anything about. I know you are trying to learn, but NOBODY would touch that, as there is no legal case, no laws were broken, they simply removed one light source for another, as they were told to!
It's not illegal for people to do the job they were told to do!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:05:20 AM by RCM442 » Logged

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 08:34:16 AM » Author: wattMaster
I thought it was about the lamp collector crying and complaining about the lamp bans.
But it doesn't seem like that has been talked about, as it likely doesn't apply much here.
Maybe the LEDs they are going to use will be better models than the ones we usually see?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 08:38:02 AM by wattMaster » Logged

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #54 on: October 01, 2016, 08:49:23 AM » Author: Lumex120
Think of it this way. There are only 17 ford model T's left in the world (not sure if this is exactly the case, but just to show my point) and they all have original parts. But then someone comes along, says they are "inefficient" and converts them all to solar power, and their originality is destroyed. I get that the lights weren't originally mercury vapor and were converted to mercs in many years ago, but it has proven how reliable the technology is and how it was built to last that long. It wouldn't surprise me if they all have original ballasts in them too. LED is made to last for 5-10 years at most, then the whole fixture has to be replaced. I hope they are just using LED retrofits and not replacing the entire thing, but I don't see how any LED retrofit is going to be as powerful as a 1kw merc. Most LED retrofits I have seen are equal to a 250w merc at most.

Unofficial LG Discord

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #55 on: October 01, 2016, 09:06:10 AM » Author: Ash
If the LED device is custom made, it can be made to satisfy any wanted life time, reliability and brighness values. Not high tech challenge, just brutal size and big margins (so not loading to the edge) of all components
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies