Author Topic: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers?  (Read 13181 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 09:33:13 PM » Author: M250R201SA
Looks like many of the lamps need replacing, and/or maintenance done on the gear.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #16 on: March 20, 2016, 02:38:09 PM » Author: hannahs lights
So now I know what a moon tower is theye are awesome I really hope at least some survive I think if they tried to put some thing like that here our council would have a hissyfit
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #17 on: March 20, 2016, 08:02:09 PM » Author: hannahs lights
That's a real shame that LEDisease will even after these historic moontowers I hope that the authorities will change their minds no I'm begging PLEASE don't convert them to LED. Electricity in the USA is relatively cheap so really there's no need
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #18 on: March 21, 2016, 01:02:34 AM » Author: tolivac
The Austin "Moon light Towers" are a traditional and historical thing-DON'T convert to LED-keep them as they are!!!!The mercury lamps being used can actually be MORE reliable and even efficient than the LED replacements!Since the towers are tall-the mercury can have a better "throw" then the LEDS.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 07:28:00 AM » Author: wattMaster
I just realized that Florida has a lot of these, But only in rural highways and with no support wires.
It's also made of Concrete.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 01:20:31 PM » Author: hannahs lights
I am surprised that given there height and that they are right in the middle of housing and businesses that the mobile fone industry hasn't used them to put there aerials on equally I thought other VHF comms providers would of wanted to use them this would be good because if they are seen to be more than just lighting  towers they would be seen by the city as even more useful
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 01:47:52 PM » Author: Lumex120
I am surprised that given there height and that they are right in the middle of housing and businesses that the mobile fone industry hasn't used them to put there aerials on equally I thought other VHF comms providers would of wanted to use them this would be good because if they are seen to be more than just lighting  towers they would be seen by the city as even more useful
They might have been marked as historic or something.

Unofficial LG Discord

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 02:53:13 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Or more importantly to the city as a source of revenue authorities like anything that brings more money in!!
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 08:44:00 PM » Author: sol
Well, one of these towers was converted to LED on August 31st. The rest are to follow along with renovations. What a shame...
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:12 PM » Author: lights*plus
Thanks much for the info & the link!

Can't even begin to imagine what 31 moontowers looked like. Even worse would be 17 of these with LED.
People will acquiesce upon anything & everything these days.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 09:26:52 PM » Author: Lumex120
Well, one of these towers was converted to LED on August 31st. The rest are to follow along with renovations. What a shame...
That's ridiculous! Now instead of being a soft, moon like light, they are going to be harsh and cold. Someone should start a petition to preserve them and not convert them.

Unofficial LG Discord

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 01:13:24 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Grrrr bloody LEDisease gets everywhere it makes me cross shame on you Texas for doing this!
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 01:55:16 PM » Author: wattMaster
Let's hope that they use different chip colors to imitate a MV spectrum.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 02:38:06 PM » Author: nicksfans
The article says they chose LEDs that preserve the original look. We'll see how true that is.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What's gonna happen to Austin's Moon Towers? « Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 04:19:54 PM » Author: Lumex120
The article says they chose LEDs that preserve the original look. We'll see how true that is.
Mercs don't flicker madly or fail within a day when the temps reach 110 F. Since the lamps in them are Lifeguards, they don't dim out within 2 years either.

Unofficial LG Discord

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies