Author Topic: Louvred fixture identification  (Read 5222 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Louvred fixture identification « on: September 13, 2015, 04:25:53 PM » Author: sol
Does anyone know the manufacturer and model of the louvre fixtures in this post ? (Scroll about half way down.) They are identical to the ones in my elementary school although they had solid sides instead of perforated. In some of the pictures it appears there is a missing louvre blade but it is hidden. In fact, in the tandem rows, one of the louvre assemblies has a blade on the very end to fill in the space between the two. When doing ballast work, the louvre assembly is completely removed (otherwise it hangs from long V shaped springs that compress when the louvre is pulled down and only allows relamping). It is quite common for the electricians to put them up without noticing and the extra blade ends up on the wrong end against the end of the fixture. I'd love to find a good quantity of these fixtures in good shape.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:11:04 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 01:53:18 PM » Author: Medved
I would guess there were (or are) many makers doing practically the same fixture (a very similar looking one 2xF40T12/F36T8 we have was made by Thorn Lighting)

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:18 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Those are beautiful fixtures, I wish they were still made. Several of my old schools had ones simular to those

Administrator #5

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 03:34:54 AM » Author: Silverliner
Canadian fixtures? I saw very similar fixtures in the movie "RAD" from the mid 1980s. These fixtures were at the high school, and the movie was filmed in Alberta, Canada. Mostly in Cochrane, some scenes in Calgary and Edmonton.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 03:50:20 PM » Author: sol
I am guessing it is a Canadian fixture, maybe made by J. A. Wilson of Toronto or Electrolier of Montreal, but I'm really not sure. The ones in the ceiling fan blog are in Québec.
mobilite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 12:35:32 PM » Author: mobilite
This fixture is made by Curtis Lighting in Chicago. This one is called a "forty-sixty". The ad is from the IES handbook published in 1947.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:28:37 PM » Author: sol
@mobilite : I don't think these are Curtis lighting. The louvre hanging mechanism is different. These are not hooked by end blades, but have long V springs that compress when the louvre is pulled down. There are no clips, you just pull gently. Then you push them back when you're done relamping. They were very common in schools in Canada in the 1970's which leads me to believe they were made in Canada, but I might be wrong.

Update : My wife has been transferred to my old elementary school. The classrooms all still have these fixtures although they were converted to T8 in 2011. That's the good news. The less good news is that I found the manufacturer's labels but they were paper and they are all gone. They were either faded and disintegrated from the proximity of the lamp (UV) or partly dissolved when cleaning (which happened in 2001-ish when the carpeting was removed and mildew had to be cleaned up). I believe they were faded as I don't recall seeing them when I was a student there. I haven't opened one to see if there would be a label in there but I very much doubt it.
A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 09:55:40 PM » Author: A2ZAlarms
all 3 schools in toronto that I have attended have these, I believe they are C&M products.

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 10:00:06 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Hey!! these are the same fixtures as the ones I got back in January with brand unknown. Only difference is mine have solid sides as well as top panels (have since removed) but it is exactly the same model. Very interested in a confirmed lead on the maker of them.

I also have five 4-lamp units that don't have louvers but are the same maker as the over all design is the same (not pictured)

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 10:10:27 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 02:33:07 PM » Author: joseph_125
The louvers in the first link are very similar to the C and M Kawartha but it's not an exact match as the Kawartha have the centre v channel extend below the body of the fixture while the ones in the link have flush v channels.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 12:15:59 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
My unknown louver fixtures have these codes stamped in on the inner lip of the sides and V channel. Hopefully this might be helpful. Especially the KML
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:17:35 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 03:29:56 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Its over!! Using the blacklight trick on the very faded label revealed that these are made by Electrolier Corp in montreal

See attachement. I edited pic for best clarity
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 03:43:27 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 05:20:05 PM » Author: sol
Well, that hypothesis was out there on one of your picture's comments. Now we know. I hope to find some someday...
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Louvred fixture identification « Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 06:41:40 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I had a feeling they were brothers on that pic. As for that code that ends in 96 which seems like the length or the year, I'll look at the 4 foot fixtures I have that are the same make as these except not louvered. It's not too late for you, keep on the hunt, I hope you find them. That school that has them you know of sounds like a good bet if you talked to the right people.

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies