Author Topic: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M  (Read 19177 times)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 06:45:16 PM » Author: nicksfans
If you really want longevity, I'd suggest going for a DTL, Ripley, Fisher Pierce, or Intermatic product. Those are the brands typically used for street lighting. I found an Intermatic here for about $10 shipped, and a DTL here for about $11 shipped.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 06:51:59 PM by nicksfans » Logged

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #31 on: September 12, 2016, 09:44:42 PM » Author: wattMaster
Utilitech is Lowe's in-house brand.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #32 on: September 21, 2016, 07:50:02 PM » Author: Pj
I ended up with a Touch-and-Glow EZ-344A Photo Controller (Home Depot "Defiant" 333 719).

I read on another forum where an installer had Intermatic photo controllers failing only weeks after use, until he pointed the photocell to the north.  Others posted they quite installing Intermatic years ago (these are 2013 message posts) due to quick failures.

Does sunlight dramatically shorten the life of the cell?  

My Cooper receptacle has any photocell plug-in pointing south, and this new one is with a clear housing.

Does the photocell receptacle adjust for North-pointing?  

Otherwise, I suppose I could make up a sun shield.  

I also got a spare Philips 175w MV bulb.  

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:51:41 PM by Pj » Logged

"I know just enough to be dangerous."   :mv: ;D

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #33 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:49 PM » Author: nicksfans
The receptacle on my Regent yardblaster would twist so you could point the photo eye north after installing the photocontrol. You might have to loosen a screw to allow it to turn...I'm not totally sure.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 12:43:03 PM » Author: Pj

The receptacle on my Regent yard blaster would twist so you could
point the photo eye North after installing the photo control.

You might have to loosen a screw to allow it to turn... I'm not totally sure.

I grabbed a mirror and looked at the receptacle, and indeed, there's a recessed Phillips screw in the center.  

After loosening the screw, I rotated the receptacle one way, then the other way where it easily rotated and I guessed where it would land North.  I tightened the screw just enough where I can still turn the receptacle with the new controller plugged-in to finalize pointing North.   I removed the controller to firmly tighten screw.  

I also put in a new 175W MV Philips lamp.  The used lamp (also a Philips) is now a spare backup.  I don't how many years this old lamp has, but it probably has a lot of life leftover.  

When I reapplied power at the electrical box, the lamp lit!   Oh, no! :o  Defective controller?   After about 30 seconds, the lamp turned-off.

I suppose something in there needed 'warmed-up' to open the relay.  

The old Photo Controller is now a back-up, always on device. 

I wonder if some of the reviewers for the Lowe's UtiliTech thought 'defect' and returned their controllers?  Or did the lamps stay on for many minutes or hours at daylight?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:45:28 PM by Pj » Logged

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #35 on: September 22, 2016, 01:55:44 PM » Author: wattMaster
That delay sounds normal for photocells/photocontrollers.

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #36 on: September 22, 2016, 02:08:27 PM » Author: Pj
That delay sounds normal for photocells/photo controllers.

Pj's Reply:

Yeah, the controller states an on/off delay for up to two minutes.  What caught me off guard was when came on this morning during daylight upon power-up before it shut-off after about 30 seconds.   I guess all controller brands of this type do the same. 

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #37 on: September 22, 2016, 03:49:43 PM » Author: Lumex120

Pj's Reply:

Yeah, the controller states an on/off delay for up to two minutes.  What caught me off guard was when came on this morning during daylight upon power-up before it shut-off after about 30 seconds.   I guess all controller brands of this type do the same. 

they just have a heater in them that has to warm up and open the connection, that is what causes the delay. If you want a very good lamp for this, get one of these:
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1815/MV0175-0005E.html

Unofficial LG Discord

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 09:48:59 PM » Author: Pj
I purchased the clear lamp vs the coated one from Home Depot. 

They are both listed at 7,900 Lumens.  Would the coated one be as bright at the longer distance as the clear lamp?

I also see a shadow-line across the back yard.  Is that from the 'nipple' on the inner tube?

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 10:05:00 PM » Author: sol
The arc tube support wire, probably.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #40 on: September 22, 2016, 10:18:33 PM » Author: nicksfans
A coated lamp will provide a pinkish-white light with higher color rendering than the clear lamp's blue-green light. Clear MV lamps make plants look really nice, though they aren't good for actually growing plants.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #41 on: September 22, 2016, 10:30:08 PM » Author: wattMaster
Coated bulbs look more "home" like, but I prefer clear bulbs for their more industrial look. :)

Pj

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #42 on: September 22, 2016, 10:38:32 PM » Author: Pj
So, is the illumination the same at long distance with coated and clear?

I suppose the coated ones have softer shadows vs the clear lamps?

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #43 on: September 22, 2016, 10:42:22 PM » Author: wattMaster
So, is the illumination the same at long distance with coated and clear?

I suppose the coated ones have softer shadows vs the clear lamps?

The coated would be smoother because the coating acts like a diffuser.
Clear has a greenish tinge in a good way. :)

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

Re: Inquiry on Cooper Lighting, Model NH1204M « Reply #44 on: September 22, 2016, 10:48:13 PM » Author: nicksfans
I would guess coated would give better illumination at a distance.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies