Author Topic: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town  (Read 2028 times)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « on: November 25, 2015, 10:47:47 PM » Author: Lumex120
Just wondering if you know of any HID lighting installations refurbished or installed within the last year. There are 3 I currently know of:
1: A nearby church has those MV posttop globes that cause serious light pollution. For years, they were greened out and the covers had turned yellow. Earlier this year, the covers got partially smashed, but the lights still worked. A few weeks ago, the cover and lamp had disappeared from all of them, and I was certain it was the end for them. Well, I just saw them again tonight, and they have brand new /DX lamps and globes! I was happy to see that they weren't replaced with LED.
2: Some abandoned buildings nearby are undergoing mass renovation, being turned into various restaurants and cell phone stores, etc.
They have installed new parking lot LED "shoeboxes", one of which has already failed and not been repaired. However, the outside of one of the buildings have had CMH wall sconces installed. I wish they would learn that LED is not a mature enought technology to be used like this yet.
3: The best one so far: A superamerica gas station recently replaced their failing and dimming out canopy lights with MH units. Guess they learned that MH was a much better technology than LED. ;D

Unofficial LG Discord

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 10:54:31 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I've seen some early 1950s OV-20s relamped in MV used in an apartment complex. There are also a row of six Silverliners that are maintained and have shiny blue PCs. The town has a bunch of unistyle 400s on original octagonal concret posts and arc arms.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 11:19:46 PM » Author: mdcastle
New 150 watt HPS shoebox lights being installed on Lyndale in Bloomington, MN
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 02:20:51 AM » Author: Ash
In the city no, but i might be able to talk a hardware shop owner in my area to go from a mix of T8 FL and big CFLs to MH highbays in the shop

Long story short, he is unhappy with his present day lighting, and was considering to put up LED floodlights. I got him to consider MH as better light quality, healthier, longer lasting and more energy efficient option (as MH is, compared to LED)
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 07:16:54 PM » Author: nicksfans
There is a section of road in downtown Anderson, SC with three or four 400W MV Silverliners that had stopped working one by one. They were out for a long time, and I was sure they'd be replaced with LED flyswatters since that's what the POCO has been doing elsewhere, but much to my surprise, I went by there a few months ago at night and they were all working with new, bright /DX lamps. I don't have an explanation for this unless they just ran out of LED fixtures. I just hope they'll be kind enough to do the same with the last remaining GE Form 400 in town. It is still working as far as I know but the clear lamp is getting dimmer. If it was on the property of someone I know instead of lighting a major road, I'd be borrowing a cherry picker and relamping the thing myself. I might even replace it with a modern cobrahead and keep the Form 400.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:22:11 PM by nicksfans » Logged

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 06:37:58 AM » Author: Michael
Here in our town HID (HPS) streetlights are still installed on mainroads and in some nearby villages old MV streetlights were replaced in favour of new lanterns running HPS lamps (Philips Iridium SGS 354)
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 12:47:35 PM » Author: xelareverse
In my neighborhood a pole  have to be replaced,but they kept the old     m-250
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 09:34:41 PM » Author: Silverliner
They still service the remaining MVs here in So Cal, even incandescent too. New HID fixtures are still commonly installed out here.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:48 PM » Author: Lumex120
They still service the remaining MVs here in So Cal, even incandescent too. New HID fixtures are still commonly installed out here.
Suprises me that they relamp the fixtures with incandescent lamps. You would think they would at least use CFLs or SBMVs.

Unofficial LG Discord

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:44:25 PM » Author: Silverliner
Some of the incandescent lights operate on series circuits. Have to use specialized 6.6A incandescent lamps or retrofit them with plug in series HID ballast adapters.

Electrician.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:45:45 PM » Author: Lumex120
Some of the incandescent lights operate on series circuits. Have to use specialized 6.6A incandescent lamps or retrofit them with plug in series HID ballast adapters.
Ah, I see. By the way, are screw-in in HID adapters still made?

Unofficial LG Discord

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 11:31:33 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I wish I could see some photos of those incandescent lamps in use.  I would love to see old incandescent street lights in use. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: New/Refurbished HID installations in your city/town « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 11:42:44 PM » Author: Silverliner
I posted some night scenes of incandescent street lights on the other site galleryoflights.org. You should check it out.

Electrician.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies