Author Topic: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds  (Read 6970 times)
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #30 on: February 06, 2016, 09:48:48 AM » Author: hannahs lights
To mbulbs my colo4ed bulbs get that hot too in fact I notice the ones with solid color run a lot hotter than the fireglow transparent red bulb. I shouldn't complain any extra warmth this time of year is welcome
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #31 on: February 06, 2016, 10:17:44 AM » Author: sol
I've had a 34 W T12 lamp loose vacuum this morning. It had been running for about 10 minutes when the EOL happened. It made TINK sounds for a couple of minutes afterwards, probably due to thermal contraction. It also hissed softly for about 20 seconds.
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #32 on: February 07, 2016, 02:21:00 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Aww that's a shame e bet I know where you'll be going Monday morning☺
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #33 on: February 07, 2016, 06:42:03 PM » Author: sol
Aww that's a shame e bet I know where you'll be going Monday morning☺

Already done. Went to the hardware store saturday afternoon. :)
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #34 on: February 15, 2016, 12:28:41 AM » Author: ace100w120v
What was its replacement?

Wow, 20 seconds is a long time though for a Hiss!  I've had all kinds of exciting lamp EOLs on electronic ballasts myself.  It's fun to watch. 
RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 12:45:01 AM » Author: RCM442
I've never had one hiss that long! What brand was it?

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #36 on: February 15, 2016, 08:47:46 AM » Author: sol
It was a GE Watt Miser T12 of 34 watts, cool white, made in Canada. It had most of its life on a full power magnetic 2 lamp RS ballast before I got it in a used fixture. I replaced it with a modern Sylvania F40T12/DX of 40 watts. When time permits, I will take another picture. I have pictures of the near EOL lamp in my gallery.
icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 09:26:19 PM » Author: icefoglights
Many years ago, I had a GE 13 watt PL fluorescent adapter that made a hissing-like buzz when operating.

A few years later, I had my Electripak security light running off the generator.  Also being powered by the generator was a screw gun used for hanging drywall.  Whenever the screw gun was used, the ballast in the light would make a whine corresponding to the motor of the screw gun.

A few years ago, my Westinghouse Wallguard would make sounds, similar to crumpling an aluminum can, when operating.  Unfortunately it turned out to be the capacitor puffing up, until one day it popped.  Not a fan of running oil-filled caps indoors after that.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 10:34:29 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I had a EOL Sylvania go out with a nice big clank-clinkle-clinkle :o hiissssssssssss today LOL
Pretty much shattered the internal filament support glass! (light was standing vertical & it was the top end, so all the little glass bits  clinkle'd down through the tube)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #39 on: April 09, 2016, 10:58:10 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Icefoglights, did you ever get that fixture cleaned up and working again?  I remember you relating the story of the capacitor going out with a bang once before; the lamp survived, right? 

Xmaslightguy, what size? F40T12?

Not really lamps, but I have several ballasts whose sound changes as they warm up.  (both fluorescent and HID).  One in particular, a 2X40w Universal Therm-O-Matic (mid-'70s, PCB-laden but lists 35 watt lamps (NOT 34s), green/yellow label) that hums when first turned on, then as it warms up it develops a loud, raspy buzz, then suddenly quiets down.  I assume it's the coils/case/etc. expanding and vibrating from the magnetic field.  I've also heard the tar in that specific model/era of ballast tends to crumble, others on Lighting Gallery have dissected them after they (finally, they go practically forever, it seems) fail.  I imagine that's the case with mine, after all it's been in almost-daily use since 1979.  (It came out of my school, then it went right back into regular service at my house). 
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Lamps making strange/spooky/funny sounds « Reply #40 on: April 09, 2016, 11:12:21 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: ace100w120v
Xmaslightguy, what size? F40T12?
Yep F40T12

----
I have a 6xF40T12 fixture that hums/is kinda noisy when first turned on, but once warmed up is silent
(probably would be quieter on startup, but I have 3xF32T8's & 3xF40T12's in it (one of each per ballast) purposely done to get some extra brightness out of it :-X )

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies