Author Topic: Westinghouse UV Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse  (Read 6845 times)
mr_big
Westinghouse UV Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse « on: January 31, 2008, 04:15:32 PM » Author: mr_big
We found a few of these units while cleaning the stockroom in our restaurant supply store. The units themselves are unmarked, but each contains a ballast and two Westinghouse Odorout bulbs. It appears that they were sold in the 1950s as a deodorizer that worked by producing Ozone via UV light. I'm keeping one for myself and listing the rest on ebay, but i thought they were too cool not to share.

The bulbs themselves look like standard incandescents until you power them up. When powered up the gas inside the bulb radiates an intense pale blue light. The picture doesn't quite do it justice. I've got to stop playing with these now.. I'm guessing my current obsession with these bulbs is not doing my eyes any favors. 

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 02:19:32 PM by ABC » Logged
mr_big
Re: Westinghouse Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 11:09:24 PM » Author: mr_big
Be careful with those :o those produce a lot of UV which can RUIN your eyes, AND give you a sunburn
J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westinghouse Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:41:11 AM » Author: J-Frog
I would suggest putting these here before you put them on ebay.  You see, ebay is full of hoarders that aren't really part of the lighting community, but buy up any vintage lamps and fixtures on ebay thereby never giving us LG members a chance at cool stuff like this!

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

ABC
Re: Westinghouse Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse « Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 01:37:11 PM » Author: ABC
Thanks for the suggestion, I will do that. I'd much rather these go to someone who really will appreciate them. I got the ok from my boss to post them here instead of E-bay so as soon as i test them and get a few more photos I'll put the extras up on the for sale page.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Westinghouse Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse « Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:02:49 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Yeah Jeremiah is right, too many people buy old lamps and even sometimes don't pay and get kicked out, then they sign up another name and get kicked out again!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Westinghouse UV Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 11:15:00 AM » Author: J-Frog
Yes that's another bad thing about ebay!  Thanks for deciding to post them here first!  I may get me one, haven't decided yet...

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

form109
Re: Westinghouse UV Bulbs found while cleaning warehouse « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 08:43:18 PM » Author: form109
nice lamps!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies