Author Topic: Request for Gas-Lighting  (Read 2941 times)
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Request for Gas-Lighting « on: February 05, 2016, 10:12:00 PM » Author: lights*plus
I find it fascinating as well as increadible that some historic areas around the world, including the United-States, still have a large number of gas street-lights operated with gas.

According to wikipedia in Gas-Lighting:
---------------------
Modern outdoors usage
The largest gas lighting network in the world is that of Berlin. With about 44,000 lamps, it holds more than half of all working gas street lamps in the world. In central London around 1500 gas lamps still operate, lighting the Royal Parks, the exterior of Buckingham Palace and almost the entire Covent Garden area. The Park Estate in Nottingham retains much of its original character, including the original gas lighting network.

In the United States, more than 2800 gas lights in Boston operate in the historic districts of Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Bay Village, Charlestown, and parts of other neighborhoods. In Cincinnati, Ohio, more than 1100 gas lights operate in areas that have been named historic districts. Gas lights also operate in parts of the famed French Quarter and outside historic homes throughout the city in New Orleans.

South Orange, New Jersey, has adopted the gaslight as the symbol of the town, and uses them on nearly all streets. Several other towns in New Jersey also retain gas lighting: Glen Ridge, Palmyra, Riverton, and some parts of Orange, Cape May and Cherry Hill. The village of Riverside, Illinois, still uses its original gas street lights that are an original feature of the Frederick Law Olmsted planned community. Manhattan Beach, California, has a gas lamp section in which all the sidewalks are lit by public gas lamps. Disneyland has authentic 19th century gas lamps from Baltimore along the "Main Street, U.S.A." section of the theme park.
-------------------------

Could someone from these areas confirm, then go and take a picture? I will pay for using it. I need a picture like THIS. Thanks.
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 10:44:48 AM » Author: mdcastle
Afton, MN uses gas lights, but they're being removed as they don't provide enough light, in favor of LEDs. They plan to keep a couple in the park.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 01:36:37 PM » Author: Ash
They have provided enough light since the 19th century and suddenly they dont ?
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 06:22:31 PM » Author: lights*plus
Remarkably gas-lamps for street-lighting reigned supreme from a forgotten period of about 1810 through 1890. Now that's longer than (or as long as) the period of street lighting with ALL vapor-discharge lamps (1940's mercury, 1970's HPS, 1990's MH)!

The bone I always like to pick: There is nostalgia for the vintage style gas-lamps in affluent suburbs or districts or historical sites fitted with grosely powerful sodium or MH bulbs. It might be pretty in the daytime, but it just doesn't work at night.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:41:45 PM » Author: Ash
The gas or the HID ?
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 10:24:15 PM » Author: lights*plus
@Ash: I got issues with HIDs in any vintage fixture.

Now how about these Moonlight Towers or Moontowers? Anyone close to these? Would love to get an idea of what they looked like in 1890.
Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 08:52:29 PM » Author: Cavannus
Batwsing burners (open flame with a flat "U" shape) consumed a lot: they were widely replaced by the mantle burner from the 1890's, until the 1940's. Nowdays only a few street gas fixtures use a batswing burner for the flickering effect (with a very poor lighting power due to natural gas rather than coal gas, and more flickering than the original burners), so the gas lighting you see (using mantles) is 120 years old technology.

A collector, who is also an antique dealer whose shop has a permanent gas lighting setup, told me that the cost for him was twice the cost of electric incandescent lighting.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 01:39:21 AM » Author: lights*plus
About the costs:

Searched online with much difficulty to find if street lighting was turned off in the past (gaslights or incandescent). I've come to the conclusion that because of the comparatively low cost of coal-gas or electricity at that time, they were not. But this is only after the infrastructure was in place & after a few years of acceptance of the lighting technology.

The very early arc-lamps were off within the first 2 or 3 hours as the rods were consumed. I also read that in various drilling operations if natural gas was found, it was piped to the nearby town to light gas street-lamps that burned day and night.

@Cavannus: Probabaly hooked up for gas but how does the collector antique dealer calculate the cost for his gaslight?
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Request for Gas-Lighting « Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 12:28:14 AM » Author: lights*plus
I Am In Love: http://gaslightsolutions.com/index.html
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies