Author Topic: What do you do with eol fluorescents  (Read 6323 times)
good223

View Posts
View Gallery

What do you do with eol fluorescents « on: March 18, 2016, 12:04:46 AM » Author: good223
What does everyone do with their fluorescent bulbs that reach eol?

If it's vintage and I don't have multiples of the same bulb, I'll generally keep it.

If it's not vintage I'll just toss it out after having some fun with it on the instant start.
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:16:14 AM » Author: nicksfans
I finish them off on IS and then recycle them. At present, the only failed lamp I am keeping in the collection is a dead F90T17 that John gave me.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

vintagefluorescent

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 07:59:46 PM » Author: vintagefluorescent
I keep all the westinghouses, GE main lighters and Sylvania lifelines, Especailly 1970s and older ,
Anything from the early 1990s goes to the recycle center, I'm very passionate about saving old fluorescent bulbs and ballasts ,once the old ones are gone there gone - I don't care if they are eol , I'm just happy to save and preserve them so younger generations will have them , I would much rather have a couple of dead F90T17s
Instead of none ,

Roger

What does everyone do with their fluorescent bulbs that reach eol?

If it's vintage and I don't have multiples of the same bulb, I'll generally keep it.

If it's not vintage I'll just toss it out after having some fun with it on the instant start.
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 03:19:01 PM » Author: ace100w120v
If it's something REALLY vintage and/or uncommon I'll keep it, but otherwise I save it until there's a hazmat drive in my area.  Let's put it this way, I even got rid of dead lamps like a March '76 GE Mainlighter, (It was totally dead, even finished on instant-start), and a '71 GE F15T8/CW. 
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 09:14:50 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Once it's dead, it's dead.  Serves no purpose.  Not even for people of the future.  It goes to be recycled.   

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 05:43:48 AM » Author: funkybulb
Vintage stuff like mazda fluorescentt or some  some screwball color temp fluorescent i will  only light them
 With induction.

The common  sttuff 1995 onward for for 4 foot to 8 foot lamp.  The 3 foot or less around 1980s onward  get to used to EOL 

I try to replace dead lamps with working ones as i come across it

at vintage fluorescent are u trying get all the westinghouse from each month for the year in production they are made?

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 01:23:36 PM » Author: Lumex120
I generally turn them on and off really fast on an instant start ballast from a CFL. If that doesn't kill it, it gets the h38 treatment. If it still doesn't die, I just toss it in the recycle bin at Ikea.

Unofficial LG Discord

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 04:43:58 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: RyanF40T12
Once it's dead, it's dead.  Serves no purpose.  Not even for people of the future.  It goes to be recycled.

^^This exactly.

Doesn't matter what brand/age/rare-ness/etc it is, if it goes EOL, I have the fun of finishing it off with an IS ballast, then it goes in the to be recycled pile

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 03:11:45 PM » Author: DieselNut
I have a few dead vintage tubes (Many F90T17s and the T12 version, several F40s and a few shorter tubes).  Unless it is really old or rare, it gets recycled after maybe a good frying, which is only fun with spectators around.

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 09:20:18 PM » Author: mbulb146
You could do this, also a good use for 60W Alto lamps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aInTYAiE-1c

Kids, don't try this at home.

Matt
veryhighonoutput

View Posts
View Gallery

T12

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 08:40:48 PM » Author: veryhighonoutput
Hahaha! That's my way of disposal!

T12/ t17 there's a reason they made heavy magnetic ballasts

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 03:10:39 AM » Author: Medved
You could do this, also a good use for 60W Alto lamps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aInTYAiE-1c

Kids, don't try this at home.

Matt

Bunch of idiots, no other words for that stupidity...

No more selfballasted c***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 12:30:09 AM » Author: tolivac
Now we know what is done with the flourescent bulbs when they relamp that wrestling auditorium!Phosphor and mercury anyone?Unique way to "recycle" lamps!The bulbs are precrushed for the recycling company!Sweep up the pieces and put them in the recycle bin!Oh yes,throw in the wrestlers, too!
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 04:05:23 AM » Author: Ash
Wait untill they discover the wonders of LED tubes...
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you do with eol fluorescents « Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 02:13:40 PM » Author: xelareverse
Or those huge HPS bulbs
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies