Author Topic: Have you converted your house?  (Read 53625 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Have you converted your house? « on: April 10, 2016, 09:54:19 AM » Author: wattMaster
We have buying LED bulbs for a while, The oldest is about 2-3 years old, And still looks bright!
Our whole house is mostly LED Feit electric bulbs.
The only fixtures I have not converted is the laundry light, Shed "Shop light", Desk light, Bathroom light above toilet (Which is an Incandescent bulb and has been going about 3 hours a day, But has been there for 10+ Years), Outdoor flood lights (We actually have started converting one bulb to LED), Attic light, A couple lights in the living room (Incandescent 3 Way), And 2 Bedrooms
(First has a lone fluorescent, Always pretty dim, The second has 3, 50 Watt halogen GU10 bulbs, Also been going for 10+ Years but at about 6 Hours a day).

All of our LED bulbs have been going strong for a while, Even though the thermal conditions are not prime(Hot Florida weather, lots of windows, And out of the way of Air Conditioning).

We are used to LED lighting, And everyone except me can't handle daylight lighting, Unless it's sunlight. :)
We have a No-CFL rule in our house, Unless they are kept in their boxes and in a safe place (My light bulb stash).

Have you converted your house to LED? Just don't use the cheap Ebay bulbs.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 06:22:45 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

HU112

View Posts
View Gallery

Chester

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 11:24:00 AM » Author: HU112
Conversion in progress, but not to LED. :D
My room:
Past: 1xE27 ceiling fixture, fitted with a Megaman WL130 cool daylight CFL
Now: 1x Fitzgerald LPFH220X 2x20W switch start fitting

Parent's room:
Past: 1xE27 ceiling fixture, fitted with a Philips 12W warm white spiral CFL
Now: (planned) 1x Thorn Diamond CD 21W 2D melt light / no name 22W T9 Circline fitting

Toilet:
Past: 1xE27 ceiling socket, fitted with a Osram Duluxstar 23W/840 CFL
Now: 2x Philips FBH032 2xPL18W recessed ceiling light

Kitchen:
Past: 1xB22 ceiling socket, fitted with an unknown daylight CFL
Now: a 4ft no-name flat style switch start fitting

Undercabinet light:
Past: generic brand 13W T5 electronic IS fixture
Now: GE Flat113 13W T5 switch start fitting + Fitzgerald MLP8 8W T5 switch start fitting

No more cheapy crappy Chinese junk, please.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 01:28:22 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I live at home with my dear sweet old mother who is a widow and in her early 70s. Her eye sight is dimming a bit as is normal as we get older.  I started an LED conversion project at the house, using mostly Feit Electric LED stuff I've purhcased at Costco, Home Depot, and Ace, when they are on sale.  I also have a few GE and Philips LED products. 

Bathrooms:  (3 total)
Vanity lights.  You know, those 6 or 7 little globe lights above the mirror? 

Guest bathroom- I've converted over to LED globes, and also replaced the light switch with that of a dimmer.  These suckers are bright, 60 watt replacements and they really light up the place nicely.

Master Bathroom-  Toilet stall/room I replaced the ugly cheapie mushroom looking fixture and put in an LED fixture, with dimmer.  Looks good.  Closet- Leaving fluorescent.  F32T8.  Going to change the ballast out from Instant Start to programmed start, and put in 2 new 3500k tubes.   Over Jacuzzi Tub-  Single recessed fixture, retrofitted from screw in single bulb to a Feit Electric retrofit flood kit.  Very nice output, it is on the same dimmer switch as the vanity mirror fixtures over the sings.  As for those fixtures-  I am currently running all clear 40 watt vanity incandescent bulbs, letting those burn out, then replacing with LED vanity bulbs.  1 so far. 

Downstairs bathroom (mine) Recessed fixture above the shower/bathtub, with a 60 watt LED bulb from Philips or GE.. I forgot.. does just fine.  Above the sink/vanity-  CFL vanity bulbs that I am running to EoL and replacing out with LEDs and will eventually add a dimmer, if I can find one for the type of switch I have once all are over to LED. 

Master Bedroom table lamps-  All LED, including a 3-way LED.  Ceiling Fan lights-  still 100W rough duty incandescent bulbs on a dimmer.  Will convert over to LEDs once the prices of 100W LED replacements come down. 

Kitchen, hallway, stairs, basement family room- LED flood lights.  Mixture of screw in LED floods which came out last year, and also retrofit kits.  Still 2 rooms, including my bedroom left to convert over to LED floods. 

Guest bedroom-  Combination LED/CFL table lamps. 

Garage-  ceiling mounted 4-tube high output F32T8 strip with very bright tubes. Also with a pull string, and wired to the main light switch  Also for the old traditional screw-in general fixture/socket-  I have a "T" with CFL floodlights, attached to pull string as well, tied into the main switch.  So I can either use the overhead fluorescent when I need super bright, or if at night and I don't need super bright and don't want to have night blindness issues, I can shut off the fluorescents and kick in the flood lights.   I also have 2 wall mounted F40T12 fixtures, one for each side of the garage, activated via pull string, I like using these at night when I don't need super bright white light from the high output ceiling mount.   Lastly I have a Feit Electric shop light above the work bench.  I like it.  It's right about 4100k. 

Laundry Room-  Single 2 lamp fluorescent fixture.  Going to swap out the instant start ballast with a programmed start and put in 2 new 3500 or 3000k tubes. 

Basement furnace room and food storage and general storage area-  All fluorescent.  F32T8.  3500K & one 4100K. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:21:24 PM » Author: Ash
Converted all the way back in 2006 to CFLs in all the parents' old lanterns and chandeliers. Some 2700K some 6500K. They work well, last fairly long ( i think lamp replacement on average every 4..5 years) and give out good light

There are 2 cloches in the kitchen that were originally 200W linear Halogens. At some point in the early 2000s we had bad batch of lamps stocked in all shops that were burning up fast, and it looked like they got some BIG stocks of the bad lamps - i got fed up with replacing the lamps all the time and converted the lanterns to 150W Incandescents, with ceramic E27 sockets. In the 2006 conversion i replaced the Incandescents to CFLs. Nowadays they have lower wattage CFLs in that put out less light, and i added a 2x36W T8 Linear over the cabinets that gives the bulk of the light. I was thinking to convert the cloches to MH, but have not done anything about it)

My room and few "technical" places around the house are Fluorescent - T8 (18W or 36W Magnetic) or PL (11W Magnetic)

Outside was small low power Incandescent. At some point i disconnected the Incandescent (but it is still there) and put up a Mercury lantern in a different position. Its been there for many years but about a year ago i replaced it with HPS floodlight

Few places i did not convert - For example the stairs and small toilet, the lighting there is switched on rarely and for short times, the energy consumption there is so low that it does not make sense to use anything but Incandescent
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 07:21:16 PM » Author: wattMaster
Oh yes, The rarely used locations really deserve Incandescents.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:06:37 AM » Author: tolivac
The main use of LED for me is portable lights.Have many CFL's in place of incandscent lights-waiting for the CFLs to burn out-then replace with LED-I have one LED fridge light,though.When the other in the fridge goes,will use another LED bulb.Otherwise-HID.
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 01:18:00 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Oooooh shame on you! Not one here and never will be mostly filament lamps except upstairs Hall is a 11 watt CFL just because it's difficult to reach to replace I have to stand on the hand rail that runs along our landing for that! The kitchen has a 6 foot 100 watt preheat flouro and my shack/workshop has 2x 36 watt preheats the rest are all filament lamps
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 03:50:36 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
We use mostly philips LED lamps (the flat A19 ones) and T8 bulbs in fixtures, there is 2 40w globe incandescents in the bathroom until i find globe LED bulbs and a PL13w in the upstairs hallway which is on all night every night.

There is a 13w  'squat' CFL in the downstairs hallway light which is used rarely and is awaiting LED replacement and a 9w A19 CFL in the wall pack on the side of the house ( Only use it cause it starts up deep purple and warms up to full brightness, lasted 2 years with nightly use so far. MY shed has 2 basic wrap lights, one is still magnetic 2x F34T12 and the other is 2x F32T8 IS, both of which worked fine all winter

Administrator #5

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:14:14 PM » Author: arcblue
I've slowly let them in. I started with flashlights & battery-powered incandescent lights (where LED is far superior to incandescent in terms of battery life, but sometimes the beam quality suffers). Then the refrigerator (though my new one has LEDs built-in). Then, MR16 and PAR20/30 uplights at mains voltage (with good results on light quality but have already had two failures). Lastly, I started upgrading 12V path lights (totally worth it) and the garage door opener bulbs replaced with Cree 4-flow daylight GLS lamps.

I'm going to keep my Philips Halogenas in the dining room as long as I can but when I run out of replacement lamps, I may consider filament-style clear LED GLS lamps.

No linear fluorescents are planned to be switched out to LED, ever. Most are preheat or magnetic rapid-start and have a lifetime of replacement lamps. Same with my outdoor & indoor HID fixtures and magnetic CFLs. The electronic CFLs may go to LED once they burn out and I've run out of replacement lamps.

I'm lampin...

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:49:34 PM » Author: BlueHalide
My house uses several different technologies. Garage lighting is four single-lamp strips in tandem F32T8 Sylvania Skywhite 8000K. Living Room has two torchiere uplighters converted to M90, one being Philips CDM Mastercolor 100w 3000K, and one Sylvania Metalarc Pro Tech 100w 3000K, the room also has three LED 20w 3000K floodlight uplighters (behind TV and couch) for instant light. The hallways use recessed cans each with GX24q-4 base Sylvania Dulux 42w PL in color 827. Office uses two uplighters, M57 175w GE Multivapor lamps in RAB floods pointed at ceiling. Master bedroom uses four Sylvania dimmable 16w LED a-shape lamps, master bath and second bath uses the same lamps but in daylight 6500K. Laundry room uses the same Sylvania Dulux 42w PL recessed cans that are in the hallways. Basement currently has six medium base lampholders with 5x 65w daylight 5500K CFL's and one 38w Feit 5000K LED. All closets are 26w 3500K CFL's
mbulb146

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 06:17:31 PM » Author: mbulb146
Cool, BlueHalide you have metal halide in your living room!  Are the torchieres regular halogen floor lamps converted to MH?

Matt
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 03:29:51 AM » Author: dor123
I also have a MH lamp in my room at my hostel: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-118819
The lamp is Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence Germany.
Currently I turning on the additional 21W T5 batten with an Osram FH 21W/840 HE T5 lamp, only when I turn off the floodlight, in order to reduce overlighting in my room, when the floodlight is on.
My desk/table/computer lamp currently have Osram Duluxstar 8W/827 CFL.
The lamp on my bed, which I turns it on before going asleep, and during awakening, is a NISKO one with Radium Relux 9W/840.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 11:06:54 AM » Author: wattMaster
I also have a MH lamp in my room at my hostel: http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-118819
The lamp is Osram HQI-TS 70W/WDL Excellence Germany.
Currently I turning on the additional 21W T5 batten with an Osram FH 21W/840 HE T5 lamp, only when I turn off the floodlight, in order to reduce overlighting in my room, when the floodlight is on.
My desk/table/computer lamp currently have Osram Duluxstar 8W/827 CFL.
The lamp on my bed, which I turns it on before going asleep, and during awakening, is a NISKO one with Radium Relux 9W/840.
Why don't you let the MH light up the room?

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 11:12:39 AM » Author: dor123
In most of the time, I use the floodlight, but at late hours of the evening, I turning it off in favor of my Hyundai 21W T5 batten to reduce the lighting level in my room before asleep.
Also, during hot weathers, I aims the floodlight directly to the floor to get rid of the lamp IR radiation which heats me considerably.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Have you converted your house? « Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 05:06:08 PM » Author: wattMaster
In most of the time, I use the floodlight, but at late hours of the evening, I turning it off in favor of my Hyundai 21W T5 batten to reduce the lighting level in my room before asleep.
Also, during hot weathers, I aims the floodlight directly to the floor to get rid of the lamp IR radiation which heats me considerably.
It's like a 70 watt heater constantly going. If you run it 24/7, It will generate 1680 watts a day.
Imagine running a 1800 watt heater for an hour.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies