Author Topic: Replacement for 300 watt torchiere lamps?  (Read 1114 times)
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Replacement for 300 watt torchiere lamps? « on: June 10, 2016, 11:59:04 AM » Author: mdcastle
Is there any more efficient, direct replacement for these. As in something that puts out the same amount of lumens and bounces it off the ceiling?
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Replacement for 300 watt torchiere lamps? « Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 12:12:59 PM » Author: Lumex120
Is there any more efficient, direct replacement for these. As in something that puts out the same amount of lumens and bounces it off the ceiling?

Get one of these,
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/57250/MHS-007092587.html

and then one of these:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G20606

Just put it in an electronics enclosure box with the cord going in one end and the output going into the lamp. It will have over twice the lumens of the halogen and their color is also whiter.

Unofficial LG Discord

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Replacement for 300 watt torchiere lamps? « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 04:17:35 PM » Author: Medved
There is no significantly more efficient direct replacement.
For the lower energy use you have practically just two options:
First use the IR reflective coating lamp type, then the power will be about 250W. It is not that much energy saving, but still some and the lamp is 100% compatible (include the eventual dimmer).
The second option is to convert the fixture for MH as Zarlog wrote. The drawback is a higher investment cost and loosing the dimming possibility (unless you use a dimmable ballast, but even then the dimming range is rather limited). Plus it is an HID, so not suitable for short burning timne and frequent switching.
For the lamp type I would prefer the CMH (e.g a HCI-T70W/WDL from Osram/Sylvania), but any tubular 70W MH will do quite good job there (select according your color preference and available budget for the conversion)...

There are really no other way that would really work.
I've seen CFL's, but these are barely 18W, so about 2000lm (compare to 5..7klm of the MH's). Plus the CFL is really bulky, so it is visible on the top.
Recently appeared even some LED's, but they are the same output as the CFL, plus the overheating problems (too small size to handle reasonable power).
So I would not use any of these last two...

Edit: I just more carefully read the description of the Zarlog's recommendation and it is indeed a CMH, the picture there is misleading (it shows a quartz type), 1000bulbs does really bad job in correct offerings... But otherwise that bulb should be perfectly fine...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 04:22:13 PM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Replacement for 300 watt torchiere lamps? « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 04:24:53 PM » Author: mdcastle
I no longer need help on this. I bought a shoebox HID fixture that I'm going to convert to ceramic metal halide. The halogen torchiere will stay for if I need to flip it on quickly to grab the phone.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies