Author Topic: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt?  (Read 6489 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #15 on: June 19, 2016, 10:38:40 AM » Author: wattMaster
And there are the exploding PC fans in a factory where i did IT work

Computers there were starting to massively overheat suddenly for "no reason". Yet when you check in software, temps are burning but none of the fans appear stuck

They were doing metal part machining with oil and emulsion lubrication/cooling by spraying it on the cutting head as it goes through the metal. The fans in computers were exposed to the oily vapors from the air, and with time degraded to the point that the blades would simply break off from the centrifugal forces of the fan spinning (at its normal 1500..3000 rpm). As the 1st blade goes it it hit by the 2nd and after this domino they are all in pieces in the bottom of the PC case. The motor keeps running tho so no "stuck fan" detected..

Then as i come to replace it (those were HP computers with custom CPU coolers, but the fans on them were standard, so i normally did replace only the fan itself), comes out that all the mounting frames it is installed on break as i handle them

Wow, why have I never heard of this?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 12:25:02 PM » Author: Medved

Wow, why have I never heard of this?

Well, could be in your country are a bit higher standards regarding the workplace air pollution.
Because if the oil in the air reached such concentration it have damaged the plastic, I can not imagine, what it did to the workers lungs...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 12:51:16 PM » Author: Ash
The bright sparkles who installed those machines decided to save on the special custom computers (industrial Aluminum chassis PC + screen integrated in 1 device), they put there ordinary desktops. The monitor (simple desktop one) is where the original device would go behind the glass window, and the PC they stuffed in the bottom cabinets of the machine, so inside the vapor zone...

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 02:24:10 PM » Author: Medved
...the PC they stuffed in the bottom cabinets of the machine, so inside the vapor zone...

That is not much better: An electric spark (from failing PSU,...) where the oil mist is present...
Apparently they haven't heard about a "thermobaric" weapons...
I would not like to be anywhere close to that fireball...

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #19 on: June 19, 2016, 03:31:50 PM » Author: wattMaster
...the PC they stuffed in the bottom cabinets of the machine, so inside the vapor zone...

That is not much better: An electric spark (from failing PSU,...) where the oil mist is present...
Apparently they haven't heard about a "thermobaric" weapons...
I would not like to be anywhere close to that fireball...
I have never heard of those, better have fire extinguishers!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 04:46:50 PM » Author: Ash
The coolant/lubricant is a blend of oil with water, the concentration of the oil in there is way too low to burn. http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/Rock Oil Data/Maxsyn-SLF-MSDS.pdf

The computer however pulls those vapors through all the time, so even at quite low concentration, damage to plastics is accumulating

And i'd think that the work of the machine itself - Machining hard metals with fast spinning cutting tools - is more likely cause of a spark than any electrical faiure..
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 12:48:25 AM » Author: Medved
The coolant/lubricant is a blend of oil with water, the concentration of the oil in there is way too low to burn. http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projects/Rock Oil Data/Maxsyn-SLF-MSDS.pdf

The computer however pulls those vapors through all the time, so even at quite low concentration, damage to plastics is accumulating

And i'd think that the work of the machine itself - Machining hard metals with fast spinning cutting tools - is more likely cause of a spark than any electrical faiure..

During the machining, the critical area is practically submerged in the liquid, so there is no oxygen to burn, plus the concentrated mass has way too low surface to provide enough combustion heat to support the flame there.
But with the mist, the water evaporates and the remaining oil is then well mixed with air, so free to burn.
The MSDS describe the oil only in it's liquid form, there it is indeed way more difficult to ignite it. Yet it cites the possibility to get ignited (already the compact liquid - not too far specs from common kerosene/diesel fuel) by an intense flame - that means in an airborne mist form the flammability will be very high...
Nor the MSDS treats am eventual formation of a "wick", again helping the fire to burn. (quite good example was, what a "non flammable" escalator lubricant did at Kings Cross station in London in 1987...)
It is quite common misconception to ignore the dangers of a mist/dust form as a fire risk. Not only with oils and oily fuels, but as well with wood dust, many metals,...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 03:37:28 AM » Author: Ash
In what quantity ? The concentration remaining is too low to burn either

I dont think its the cooling of the cutting location that renders the thing safe. What if the sprayhead is misaligned and does not spray in the correct direction ? This occasionally happens, along with resulting desruction of tools and products being machined, but never heard of a fire from that

What in the setup may form a "wick" here ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 07:59:56 AM » Author: wattMaster
I'm getting confused. ???

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 10:25:04 AM » Author: Medved

I admit, the discussion drifted a bit away from the original topics.
What remains valid for you: be careful with such cleaning or similar oils and/or solvents (include water), they may attack the lamp components in an unpredictable way, even when first few days everything seems to be OK (the attack is of a longer time degradation nature).

The effects of water is with some types tested (and some lamp types are designed to be immune towards moisture), but unless it is really some special purpose lamp, no other chemicals were ever tested, nor considered during the lamp design, so it is very likely many solvents or cleaners will attack it in some way.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a vintage lightbulb from grime and dirt? « Reply #25 on: June 20, 2016, 10:41:16 AM » Author: wattMaster

I admit, the discussion drifted a bit away from the original topics.
What remains valid for you: be careful with such cleaning or similar oils and/or solvents (include water), they may attack the lamp components in an unpredictable way, even when first few days everything seems to be OK (the attack is of a longer time degradation nature).

The effects of water is with some types tested (and some lamp types are designed to be immune towards moisture), but unless it is really some special purpose lamp, no other chemicals were ever tested, nor considered during the lamp design, so it is very likely many solvents or cleaners will attack it in some way.
It's the same problem here, but on a much bigger scale, you have to combat the humidity and weather conditions that Florida is known for. That involves strategic planning of materials and designs for durability, and Florida is the would's capital for corrosion and rusting. You can even get a coating for your air conditioner to help keep it from rusting, simply because the weather is that bad.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies