Author Topic: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures  (Read 5394 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « on: June 19, 2016, 05:35:53 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Hi there.

Found a sweet :mv: stash on the local classifieds. 3 vintage "power bracket" style fixtures, an unopened Regent 100w MV mini bucket light, 2 Sylvania Phosphorus X BT-28 175w MV lamps. The fixture in the middle is a 1972 Westinghouse Vanguard 175w MV with a cool and unique swing out ballast. The other two fixtures are a brand I've never heard of before. Labeled as a "Douglas Power Pack" these are both 175w MV and the larger one is missing the refractor. The one on the right has never been installed before. Let me know what you folks think and and if you'd like to see more pics.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 08:15:36 PM » Author: Lumex120
That...  :o

I have always wanted a ballast in arm fixture. You sure are lucky to get all that good stuff! I would love to find something like this on Craigslist sometime...

Unofficial LG Discord

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 09:30:11 PM » Author: fran4001
Interesting. Never saw the Douglas ones before. Similar to GE Powr Brackets, but some odd features. Cool.
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 04:15:45 PM » Author: bucket175mv
That...  :o

I have always wanted a ballast in arm fixture. You sure are lucky to get all that good stuff! I would love to find something like this on Craigslist sometime...

Keep searching bud, you'll find someone with something you will want. I've placed wanted ads before. I use the Canadian Equivalent, Kijiji.

When I move to a larger more rual area, I'm going to install these bad boys. They kinda look out of scale in my suburban back yard lol.
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 04:21:50 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Interesting. Never saw the Douglas ones before. Similar to GE Powr Brackets, but some odd features. Cool.

They're new to me as well. I do believe they were manufactured in Canada. They are all riveted together and have very large ballasts, almost looks like large florescent ballast. 

The seller has about 5 more but they are in a pretty sad state. I grabbed the best most complete fixtures and passed up a 400w version. I kinda regret not getting it but I've got no use for a MV fixture with that much light output.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:37:07 PM » Author: sol
Very nice catch indeed. I wouldn't mind more pictures as some similar ones have been installed in my area (all but a couple are now gone, though).
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 09:45:09 PM » Author: joseph_125
Very nice find! They're fairly rare in my area which seems to have more Vanguards, Powrbrackets and Powerlites. Yeah they use F-can ballasts instead of the typical core and coil ballasts. It's basically a core and coil and cap potted and enclosed by a metal case.

Do you happen to have a close up shot of the label. It'd be interesting to see one up close. 
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 06:01:06 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Very nice catch indeed. I wouldn't mind more pictures as some similar ones have been installed in my area (all but a couple are now gone, though).

I'll get some more pics posted. These type of fixtures are everywhere in Ontario. I'd say 50% :hps:and the other 50% :mv:
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 06:05:47 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Very nice find! They're fairly rare in my area which seems to have more Vanguards, Powrbrackets and Powerlites. Yeah they use F-can ballasts instead of the typical core and coil ballasts. It's basically a core and coil and cap potted and enclosed by a metal case.

Do you happen to have a close up shot of the label. It'd be interesting to see one up close. 

Hi there.

Thanks and I take it Vanguard is Westinghouse, Powerbracket is GE and Powerlite is?

I'll get some more pics posted of the labels. I never heard of a F can ballast, pretty neat.
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 07:12:31 PM » Author: sol
Normally F can HID ballasts are used where humming ballasts would be an issue, such as recessed fixtures. I've seen some in streetlights like these before, though. Maybe they use them as they are easier to install (no separate capacitor), but I'm not sure why.
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 02:48:45 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Normally F can HID ballasts are used where humming ballasts would be an issue, such as recessed fixtures. I've seen some in streetlights like these before, though. Maybe they use them as they are easier to install (no separate capacitor), but I'm not sure why.

Himm interesting. They're probably impossible to find nowadays!
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 02:51:38 PM » Author: bucket175mv

Here are some more pics :)

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:36 PM » Author: bucket175mv

Here is a few pics of the labels. The Westinghouse label is tough to make out tho.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 03:16:24 PM » Author: sol
Here we once had several of the Westinghouse Vanguard version you have here. They have since all been removed, either changed to HPS or taken out completely. Most were power company rental fixtures. Most had one clip on the lens come loose and it would hang unevenly in the cone reflector. Several of them lost both lamp and lens in windstorms. I could never figure out why the lens coming off would take the lamp with it unless it was vandalism, but it never seemed to happen to other models.

Anyways, very nice fixtures, the BT lamps sure add a nice touch.
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Vintage Mercury Vapor Power Bracket Fixtures « Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 03:50:20 PM » Author: bucket175mv
Here we once had several of the Westinghouse Vanguard version you have here. They have since all been removed, either changed to HPS or taken out completely. Most were power company rental fixtures. Most had one clip on the lens come loose and it would hang unevenly in the cone reflector. Several of them lost both lamp and lens in windstorms. I could never figure out why the lens coming off would take the lamp with it unless it was vandalism, but it never seemed to happen to other models.

Anyways, very nice fixtures, the BT lamps sure add a nice touch.

These are most certainly getting more rare everyday, especially with the LED craze that's going on. I've always wondered why bucket light type fixtures would eventually lose their shade or lens. I am only missing one shade for my fixtures I posted. The Westinghouse lens is in perfect shape :)

Thanks for the compliments!   
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies