Author Topic: 35w HPS vs 50W MV  (Read 5280 times)
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

35w HPS vs 50W MV « on: June 29, 2016, 10:00:54 AM » Author: bucket175mv
What bulb/ballast combination would emit more light, both running of a 120v feed.

1) 35 watt :hps: or

2) 50 watt :mv:?

Thanks.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:41 AM » Author: wattMaster
35 watt HPS I think, because of the higher efficiency.
But not much more, only about 500 lumens.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 10:09:48 AM » Author: bucket175mv

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

I just converted a Regent mini bucket fixture to 35w HPS for my front driveway light and after last nights trial run, the fixture is to bright.

I have on order a new 35/39 watt MH ballast and a NOS Philips 50w MV lamp. I'm hoping this will give the light output I'm after.

Do you think the 35/39 watt MH ballast slightly under drive this lamp?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:15:18 AM » Author: wattMaster

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

I just converted a Regent mini bucket fixture to 35w HPS for my front driveway light and after last nights trial run, the fixture is to bright.

I have on order a new 35/39 watt MH ballast and a NOS Philips 50w MV lamp. I'm hoping this will give the light output I'm after.

Do you think the 35/39 watt MH ballast slightly under drive this lamp?
It will, and the ballast may get burned out because the lamp is too much for it. Sorry for the slow reply, the server login verification acted up again.
The lamp may be OK, but no guarantees.
This situation is like a power supply with no protection trying to power something it can't.
I wouldn't risk it, just get a 50 watt MH ballast, that should be enough, I think, but you should measure the voltage and current to make sure it is not overdriving the lamp.
Try adding more diffusion, that usually helps with high light levels.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:31:11 AM by wattMaster » Logged

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 10:30:21 AM » Author: Lumex120
50w mercury vapor when operated on a 35w MH ballast is about 2/3 the brightness of a 35w HPS. The visibility and better CRI plus the fact that the light is not as harsh would make me choose the merc over HPS. I just got a 35w MH ballast and it runs a 50w merc perfectly. They are about the brightness of a 150w incandescent, and it would probably be perfect for your application.

Unofficial LG Discord

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 10:37:32 AM » Author: bucket175mv
50w mercury vapor when operated on a 35w MH ballast is about 2/3 the brightness of a 35w HPS. The visibility and better CRI plus the fact that the light is not as harsh would make me choose the merc over HPS. I just got a 35w MH ballast and it runs a 50w merc perfectly. They are about the brightness of a 150w incandescent, and it would probably be perfect for your application.

Hi there and this is just what I wanted to hear :) I did a lot of research on here and other forms and concluded that if you want to run MV at the correct voltage/current you need to use the next wattage down MH ballast with ignitor removed.

Hence why I just ordered a 35 watt MH ballast to drive a 50 MV lamp. I'm excited to build this fixture!
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:39:05 AM » Author: wattMaster

Hi there and this is just what I wanted to hear :) I did a lot of research on here and other forms and concluded that if you want to run MV at the correct voltage/current you need to use the next wattage down MH ballast with ignitor removed.

Hence why I just ordered a 35 watt MH ballast to drive a 50 MV lamp. I'm excited to build this fixture!
I just learned something, didn't know that.

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:40 AM » Author: bucket175mv

I just learned something, didn't know that.

I've learned lots off this site! I always thought a 50w MH ballast would overdrive a 50 watt MV lamp and I don't want an overly bright fixture as I'm trying to build lower light output MV fixtures for residential use.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:34 PM » Author: Ash
Out of them all, an actual 35W Pulse MH would probably provide the highest Lm

The HPS vs Merc, indeed HPS would put out mire Lm, but Merc put out white light, so there is the question : What lighting do you want to achieve, and up to what distance from the lantern ? Depending on that either the Merc or HPS can be the best choice
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 05:14:21 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah, if you say 35watt HPS is too bright, 50watt MV would be the better choice, as well as white light, its also diffused, and its traditional MV!
I use to run a 70watt HPS in my front yard, but this was way over bright, but I have settled with a trusty 50watt MV now, and at 1800 lumens, its just enough. 8)

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 05:53:30 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Yep, 50w MV is juicy, but 75 or 80 is great too. 50 and 75w MV ballasts are rare here unfortunately, but I managed to find a 50w MV ballast and put it in a flood lite. A 39w magnetic MH ballast without Ignitor is a good ballast with 50w MV and runs them perfect. A 100w MV CWA ballast with a 7.5-8uf cap can run 75w mercs.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 05:57:26 PM » Author: Ash
Use Fluorescetn ballasts for the Merc lamp then
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 07:21:11 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Well, it's kinda tricky here, since 40w is underpowering and magnetic preheat ballasts for 5ft and up are practically nonexistent here sadly. :(

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 09:39:08 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Out of them all, an actual 35W Pulse MH would probably provide the highest Lm

The HPS vs Merc, indeed HPS would put out mire Lm, but Merc put out white light, so there is the question : What lighting do you want to achieve, and up to what distance from the lantern ? Depending on that either the Merc or HPS can be the best choice

I'll get you a pic of the area where I have mounted the fixture so you can get an idea of what I'm after.
bucket175mv

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 35w HPS vs 50W MV « Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 09:44:11 AM » Author: bucket175mv
Yeah, if you say 35watt HPS is too bright, 50watt MV would be the better choice, as well as white light, its also diffused, and its traditional MV!
I use to run a 70watt HPS in my front yard, but this was way over bright, but I have settled with a trusty 50watt MV now, and at 1800 lumens, its just enough. 8)

Nice! Did you have a pic of your 50 watt :mv: fixture?

I think when Regent made these "mini bucket" type fixtures they went overboard with the lamp and ballast wattage's. The MV fixtures should have had a 50 watt bulb and ballast vs 100w setup and the HPS should have been 35w vs 70 watt.

Hence why these were not in production for very long.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies