Author Topic: Socket Questions  (Read 1166 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Socket Questions « on: August 02, 2016, 05:06:22 PM » Author: wattMaster
How do U-Bend tubes go in a lamp socket? They can't twist in, so how are they loaded in?
And how to slimline lamps go in? You can't slide them in, so how?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Socket Questions « Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 05:41:03 PM » Author: Ash
There are few options like -

- Tube pins push into 2 parallel slot sockets and something support the tube itself

- Tube held in by c clamps and the sockets are just a connector with 2 holes on wires, that plug onto the ends of the tube

Slimlines can use spring loaded sockets where the lamp is pushed into 1 socket on a spring and then can be inserted into the other
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Socket Questions « Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 05:42:22 PM » Author: wattMaster
There are few options like -

- Tube pins push into 2 parallel slot sockets and something support the tube itself

- Tube held in by c clamps and the sockets are just a connector with 2 holes on wires, that plug onto the ends of the tube

Slimlines can use spring loaded sockets where the lamp is pushed into 1 socket on a spring and then can be inserted into the other
But on the slimline sockets, there is plastic around it, so you can't just push the tube in, or the sockets will have to move for the lamp.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Socket Questions « Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 08:58:21 PM » Author: nicksfans
U-bend lamps use special lampholders that allow the pins to simply be pushed in and pulled out, no twisting involved. Some fixtures for linear lamps use these also but it's less common. The "U" part of the tube is supported by a metal clip which also helps with starting on magnetic RS.

Slimlines (and HO/VHO lamps) have one spring-loaded lampholder and one stationary lampholder. To install a lamp, you put one end in the spring-loaded lampholder, push the spring down, line up the other end with the stationary lampholder, and release the spring. The pressure from the spring keeps the lamp seated in the lampholders. This setup is also occasionally used with bi-pin lamps, typically in heavy-duty industrial fixtures.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Socket Questions « Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:46 PM » Author: wattMaster
U-bend lamps use special lampholders that allow the pins to simply be pushed in and pulled out, no twisting involved. Some fixtures for linear lamps use these also but it's less common. The "U" part of the tube is supported by a metal clip which also helps with starting on magnetic RS.

Slimlines (and HO/VHO lamps) have one spring-loaded lampholder and one stationary lampholder. To install a lamp, you put one end in the spring-loaded lampholder, push the spring down, line up the other end with the stationary lampholder, and release the spring. The pressure from the spring keeps the lamp seated in the lampholders. This setup is also occasionally used with bi-pin lamps, typically in heavy-duty industrial fixtures.
Any photos?

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Socket Questions « Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 10:04:29 PM » Author: nicksfans
U-bend socket:

Here's a video showing Slimline lampholders (skip to 3:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOT6LjWaRo

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Socket Questions « Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 10:22:20 PM » Author: wattMaster
U-bend socket:

Here's a video showing Slimline lampholders (skip to 3:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuOT6LjWaRo
Now I get it. I learn things better when I see videos or photos.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies