Author Topic: Minneapolis area street lighting  (Read 18214 times)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #30 on: December 02, 2016, 02:24:02 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Are they on poles with electrical wires on em or are they underground fed?  I've got about 40 dead underground poles here in my community from underground faults.  So far about 4 cobra heads out of over 200 are actual failures.  We've gotten down into the 20s (20-F) but surprisingly I haven't seen any cold weather failures other than possibly 1. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 06:29:51 PM » Author: Lumex120
And two LEDs are dead already, Time to report them to Xcel.
::)

A few days ago I saw one of those hideous new AEL fixtures on the freeway dim and strobing madly.

Unofficial LG Discord

EpicStreetlights

View Posts
View Gallery

Epic_Fire_Alarms
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 11:01:00 AM » Author: EpicStreetlights
Well, i'm sad to report that having watched Eluko79's new video, the truss-arms at the MN-5/I-35E interchange are no more  :'(. Unfortunately, that means that the only still-functioning original 1960s truss-arm freeway lighting (to my knowledge) is at the Huron Avenue on/off ramp on I-94 in Minneapolis.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #33 on: December 03, 2016, 07:27:10 PM » Author: Lumex120
Well, i'm sad to report that having watched Eluko79's new video, the truss-arms at the MN-5/I-35E interchange are no more  :'(. Unfortunately, that means that the only still-functioning original 1960s truss-arm freeway lighting (to my knowledge) is at the Huron Avenue on/off ramp on I-94 in Minneapolis.
Link?

Unofficial LG Discord

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #34 on: December 04, 2016, 11:15:38 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
You can't link what you see with your eyes :)

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

EpicStreetlights

View Posts
View Gallery

Epic_Fire_Alarms
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 05:05:06 PM » Author: EpicStreetlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6oNm3bV96g&t=208s
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #36 on: December 04, 2016, 06:20:42 PM » Author: mdcastle
Report freeway lights that are out to Mn/DOT...
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #37 on: April 10, 2017, 11:07:46 PM » Author: mdcastle
Two new approved products for Mn/DOT lighting

250 Watt Equivalent: Cooper Streetworks Verd-G Verdion (143 watts)

400 Watt Equivalent: GE Evolve ERS2 (162 watts)
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #38 on: April 11, 2017, 12:14:03 AM » Author: Lumex120
That 162w is NOT going to be a suitable replacement for the 400w. The 143w will probably be ok though (not that there are any 400w HPS lights left in my area anyway.) Also, Cooper Verdion? This is the first thing I think of whenever I see one of those.

Unofficial LG Discord

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #39 on: April 12, 2017, 10:23:27 PM » Author: mdcastle
I haven't noticed that the freeways are noticeably dimmer since the LED conversion. We're not lighting engineers so I'm going to trust their judgement. I assume since the 400 watt lamps were mounted up higher that there was a lot more slop behind the fixture and other places it wasn't designed for as opposed to the 250 watt models.

For comparison the Autobahns are 164 watts and the Navions are 157 watts. The Roadviews were yanked off the approved product list for being too energy wasteful at 209 watts, but there's a lot of them that got installed especially in the northeast metro.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:35:52 PM by mdcastle » Logged
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 03:33:00 PM » Author: mdcastle
A brief history: Until the 1980s the St. Paul lanterns were incandescent. I-35W from 66th to Lake Street, I-35E north of downtown, and Lyndale Ave in Bloomington were HPS, and the rest of the lights were mercury.

In the mid 1980s NSP, now Xcel energy, converted it's lights to HPS, primarily American Electric 15 / 115s and GE M250Rs, although some areas had Cooper OVZs. OVX saw some use as replacement. Mn/DOT did not convert the rest of the freeway mercury lights to HPS until around 1990. Richfield converted it's lights about that time; for a while the city owned lights on N-S Richfield streets were mercury and the E-W NSP lights were HPS. The last of the incandescent St Paul lanterns were converted to HPS about this time to.

LPS was never used much. There were some on Old Cedar until 1988, and major Richfield N-S streets from the early 1980s to the early 1990s. These were converted to HPS. There used to be a LPS wall pack on the running park building that's gone, the lights on the Thunderbird Hotel parking lot were removed last year when the hotel was demolished. The nearest LPS lights I know of are on the Big Blue Bridge in La Crosse; used because they do not attract Mayflies.

The new I-35W bridge in 2007 was the first use of LED lights on an interstate highway. At the time no direct replacement for a standard cobrahead was available so they needed to space the poles closer together. Mn/DOT has monitored their performance over time, there have been no failures and they are pleased.

Last year was the mass conversion of the freeways to LED, they used to use Philips Navion, but these got yanked for being too inefficient at 215 watts for a 400 watt equivalent, so they're now using Cooper and AE Autobahns driven at about 160 watts for 400 watt equivalent, 130 watts for 250 watt equivalent.

A few induction lights exist in Hudson. Afton finally got rid of their gas lights last year in favor of LED; these had automatic ignitors per Minnesota law. Afton was going to keep a few in their park but I haven't verified it.

The mass conversion of Xcel lights, which covers most of the metro, started last year with GE Evolve fixtures, although Philips Roadview were used in Wisconsin. Richfield will replace a sodium light with a Leotek GreenCobra whenever they're called to service it. Minneapolis will generally replace a copbrahead with an LED but service a shoebox.

St. Paul is using corncob lamps to retrofit their lanterns, after complaints they're now testing out various warm white models. So far they have are not aggressively converting their overhead lights, mostly NEMAs on wood poles.

There is no LED approved for high mast, so some new HPS high mast lights were put up last year, replacing a metal halide installation running on mercury ballasts. Metal halide is used for Minneapolis parkway lights, 100 watts for mid-block and 150 watts for intersections, but new ones are LED. 
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 03:39:34 PM » Author: Lumex120

St. Paul is using corncob lamps to retrofit their lanterns, after complaints they're now testing out various warm white models. So far they have are not aggressively converting their overhead lights, mostly NEMAs on wood poles.

About the LED corn cobs, are they just using them in NEMAs or are they being used in cobraheads too?

Unofficial LG Discord

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 03:47:04 PM » Author: mdcastle
They're just using them in the lanterns. They'll replace a cobrahead with an LED fixture on occasion, but I've not seen to much of this and I've not seen a NEMA fixture been replaced.
streetlight98

View Posts
View Gallery

Mike McCann

GoL Mike McCann 88219189@N04/albums
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 11:24:30 PM » Author: streetlight98
Around here they retrofit the post top lights with corn cobs but any overhead street light or flood light gets replaced. No NEMA heads here.

Please check out my newly-updated website! McCann Lighting Company is where my street light collection is displayed in detail.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Minneapolis area street lighting « Reply #44 on: April 16, 2017, 03:06:10 AM » Author: Silverliner
The utilities in California has gotten approval from the California Public Utilities Commission to discontinue new installations of HPS and other HID light sources. But HID is still serviced and new fixtures are installed as replacements only.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies