Author Topic: LED streetlights showing their age  (Read 334 times)
Zarlog

View Gallery

^50w mercury vapor wallpack

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
LED streetlights showing their age « on: September 15, 2016, 08:26:54 PM » Author: Zarlog
Some of the LED streetlights on the freeways that were installed in 2013-2014 are starting to become really dim. I remember when they were new they were much brighter than the HPS lights in the next section, and now they are only about as bright as 175w /DX mercs. The HPS lights are noticeably brighter now. These I thought would last longer because they have several small diodes spread over a large surface, not 3 high power diodes on a tiny surface (like the new ones they are installing.) What will they do when they become so dim they are unusable?

"Sometimes, the most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies."
LED = Low efficiency disaster

wattMaster

View Gallery

Lit With CFL

Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:34:25 PM » Author: wattMaster
I noticed that the LED streetlights here actually look very bright, but I have seen a couple of failures where the LED array just periodically flashes.

Where are daylight fluorescents when you need them?

Ash

View Gallery

Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2016, 01:49:26 AM » Author: Ash
They all look very bright because the light source emitting area is tiny
wattMaster

View Gallery

Lit With CFL

Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2016, 06:41:04 AM » Author: wattMaster
I thought that the light on the ground/road was bright.

Where are daylight fluorescents when you need them?

Solanaceae

View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 09:04:01 AM » Author: Solanaceae
LEDs that are almost a year old here are green and dim. Lol, so much for high lumen maintenance. Tongue

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

mdcastle

View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 10:46:08 AM » Author: mdcastle
Which LED lights?
Zarlog

View Gallery

^50w mercury vapor wallpack

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2016, 09:49:51 AM » Author: Zarlog
Which LED lights?
The ones that are stick-shaped. I can get a picture next week. The difference is quite noticeable.

"Sometimes, the most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies."
LED = Low efficiency disaster

Lightingguy1994

View Gallery

T12 are and always will be my favorite bulb

Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 10:58:15 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I have noticed some LED streetlights here getting a bit on the dim side as well. The biggest most noticeable ones are the gross yellowed out LED canopy lights on gas stations installed where MV/MH once were

I'm not lazy! I'm on energy saving mode!

lights*plus

View Gallery

George Liv

Re: LED streetlights showing their age « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 03:30:59 PM » Author: lights*plus
Generally speaking, if you don't have a light-meter or a lux-meter to measure the light levels, and at the same time write them down, you're talking out of your sinus.

I have documented proof that new LED street-light systems are very typically brighter than the former HPS. Conversly, most parking or lot-lighting LEDs provide less lighting on the lots. In the near future, I'll be comparing the before lux levels to the burned-in levels to see how well the LED systems really perform.

My Galleries on LG

Print 
© 2005-2017 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines