Author Topic: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they  (Read 374 times)
RyanF40T12

View Gallery

330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « on: September 17, 2016, 12:20:23 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
I've yet to make it to NYC.  Curious to know what they are using in NYC?  Mostly HPS?  Any MV left? 
jrmcferren

View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:24:36 PM » Author: jrmcferren
MTA is switching their bridges to LED, I haven't been to NYC at night since before Sandy hit so no idea, but I do know that in 2012 they were running a lot of HPS and Mercury. As funds become available I would not be surprised to see NYC start changing more lighting to LED to reduce energy costs. They are also wanting to get rid of one of the nuclear plants (Indian Point IIRC) so that will also have some say in the desire to increase efficiency.

Manhattan will probably see upgrades first. Queens and Brooklyn will probably be after Manhattan. Bronx and Staten Island will probably be last (Bronx due to being poor, Staten Island due to lower density).
Ugly1

View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:20:01 PM » Author: Ugly1
 Here is some information on Street lights in The City Of New York. Starting in 2007, all street lights were changed to
100 and 150 watt HPS  Cooper luminaires equipped with electronic ballasts. Whatever mercury lights ( no more than a few hundred,if that many) still existing were replaced. In 2012, a test installation of LED fixtures was made on the Honeywell Street bridge in Long Island City.(Google Honeywell Bridge LED). This went well,so the first contract awarded was to replace all highway and parkway lights.
  The contractors purchase the luminaires from manufacturers on the list approved by The NYCDOT. The contractor chose Cree 101 watt luminaires for the highway replacements.The next major contract was for what was called by the City "The Vision Zero" program. In an attempt to decrease pedestrian fatalities, thousands of street lights were added at intersections,mounted on existing poles at a 90 degree angle to the original luminaire. For this contract Cooper Verdeon 77watt luminaires were used.
For  Brooklyn The contractor chose Cooper Verdeon luminaires in 77 and 91 watt versions.Brooklyn is completed.        Queens was next and the contractor,Welsbach Electric,chose Philips Lumec in 108 and 64 watt versions. Queens is nearly completed. The lights on my street were changed on tuesday. The light in front of my house was a 150watt HPS and was replaced with a 64 watt LED. It's quite astounding to me how well the street is lit, with the light being thrown up and down the street much better than I expected. The only difference is the loss of the stray light that lit up the yards.
  I was able to purchase a copy of the next contract, for The Bronx,Manhattan,and Staten Island.Welsbach was again the low bidder. Purchase and install 86,000 luminaires and photocontrols. Low bid ,a little over $17,000,000. That's about $200 per luminaire. Work to start Jan. of 2017. In case you think that's a high price,consider this. The contractor must use Local 3 "A" construction electricians. The salary is $54.00 an hour,with an additional benefit package of $55.00  an hour. It's no wonder that according to one of the guys I talked to, that the company is trying to get them to change 32 luminaires per day.
Ugly1

View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 05:40:09 AM » Author: Ugly1
Correction- the Phillips fixtures are Roadfocus RFS 64 watt and RFM 108 watt.
RyanF40T12

View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 07:16:45 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Yup, the road focus is what they are using out here now. 
lights*plus

View Gallery

George Liv

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 06:21:36 PM » Author: lights*plus
Thanks for the new NYC LED luminaire info!

The RoadFocus is indeed a Philips Lumec product.
The RFS (RoadFocusSmall) is only listed as either a 35w & 54w model.

http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/our-brands/lumec/roadfocus-led-cobra-head-small-rfs.html
http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/Documents/webdb2/Lumec/pdf/RoadFocus-RFM-Spec.pdf
http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/our-brands/lumec/roadfocus-led-cobra-head-large-rfl.html

My Galleries on LG

RyanF40T12

View Gallery

Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 08:05:39 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I'm still quite happy with the Road Focus.  It's a good light.
xmaslightguy

View Gallery

^homebuilt fixture

GoL ATL
Re: 330,000 Streetlights in NYC. What are they « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 06:35:52 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I see versions of this one around (now with lights*plus 's link I know what brand they are LOL)
http://www.lightingproducts.philips.com/our-brands/lumec/roadfocus-led-cobra-head-large-rfl.html

Also see a fair number of GE Evolve's ( a couple different versions )

And some others too, but not as many as the above 2

Colored Fluorescent's such as F40T12 Red or  Green or Blue are awesome...

Print 
© 2005-2017 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines