Author Topic: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures  (Read 7552 times)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 09:20:01 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Whelp- 2 or 3 days after reporting the strobing fixtures, they have been fixed.  Went out early this morning to take a drive at 3AM since I could not sleep and lone and behold they were working properly I'm pleased with the response time.  I just wish they were as quick to fix the underground faults as we have about 50 or so poles currently out due to underground faults.  Some for over a year.  (all electrical lines here are underground) 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 10:17:58 PM » Author: mdcastle
I recently submitted a list of 100 lighting outages to Mn/DOT. Some of these could be underground wiring issues, but at some point I wonder if all the energy savings of LEDs is offset by having to go out and chase down bad fixtures.
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 03:55:48 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
For us, unless one of the utility company employees happen to see it in passing, they rely on the public to call in outages/issues. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 11:33:48 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Heh.. One of them is back to flickering again.  2 out of 3 LED panels.  I'm wondering if they never fixed it in the first place and the ballast is very spotty.. We got into the high 80s today. 

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 03:06:08 AM » Author: Ash
I seen ones that flicker in cold and are fine otherwise. Might be anything from bad joints, ESR of capacitors going up/down, and condensation dripping on the driver..
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 08:21:23 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Heard back from my contact at XCEL Street Lighting.  She thanked me for the update and informed me that these new Philips heads have a 10 year warranty so that is nice to hear.  Sounds like they are standing behind their products. 

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 07:21:01 PM » Author: Lumex120
I recently submitted a list of 100 lighting outages to Mn/DOT. Some of these could be underground wiring issues, but at some point I wonder if all the energy savings of LEDs is offset by having to go out and chase down bad fixtures.
Did you mean to say 10? Because 100 seems like quite a lot, and while I have seen numerous failures I can't say I have seen quite that many. If that is the case, it is most likely the underground wiring. If the lights themselves were really failing like this, you would think that they would have just dropped this whole thing

Unofficial LG Discord

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #22 on: January 14, 2017, 01:04:05 PM » Author: mdcastle
No, I really meant 100, and my list is up to 150 now just in the southwest metro (I've tallied I-35W south of downtown, Crosstown, and 5.
It's some combination of
1) Bad wiring
2) Blown fuses in the base, and
3) Bad fixtures.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #23 on: January 14, 2017, 01:14:22 PM » Author: Ash
Fuses dont blow for no reason
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #24 on: January 14, 2017, 04:06:04 PM » Author: Lumex120
No, I really meant 100, and my list is up to 150 now just in the southwest metro (I've tallied I-35W south of downtown, Crosstown, and 5.
It's some combination of
1) Bad wiring
2) Blown fuses in the base, and
3) Bad fixtures.
What is blowing the fuses in the base?

Unofficial LG Discord

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #25 on: January 15, 2017, 02:14:36 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Haven't seen anymore failures as of late.  We've had temps down to the -2 degree range for a few days straight but so far the Philips Road Focus fixtures are holding up well.  The 2 or 3 that were strobing were repaired or replaced.  Been keeping a watchful eye on all of em. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 01:54:06 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I have a follow-up to this.  My friend at the power company who is a project manager there and helps oversee the retrofit from the HPS to the LED cobraheads got back to me regarding the flickering on a few of the Philips heads.  Turns out the new fixtures are fine, what was causing this was a low power issue-  not enough juice getting to the head from the power lines due to underground wire faults which results in the cycling and sometimes only half the LED panel lighting up.  They've been working to get many of the underground faults corrected in the area I live in over the past month and I've seen fixtures come alive that have been dead since or in a few cases, long before the retrofit, as well as the cycling fixtures now working properly and at full capacity.  So in this case, not crappy LEDs, but crappy infrastructure.  

http://vid295.photobucket.com/albums/mm121/JustRyGuy/Mobile%20Uploads/20161010_202538_zpslszwwqmu.mp4
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 01:56:49 PM by RyanF40T12 » Logged

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #27 on: February 05, 2017, 02:54:06 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Interesting. I've seen some LED streetlights out (just off, not blinking) along a highway that was converted in July.
Now I wonder if they were actually dead, or just bad wiring.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #28 on: February 05, 2017, 09:27:11 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
CDOT and whatever energy company that is in that area, be it XCEL or IREA or someone else, usually don't have a high priority for the stuff on the freeway overpasses, as well as on-ramps and off-ramps.  Last night I was in the Castle Rock area along I-25 which is IREA territory.  Lots of EoL HPS in the Meadows Parkway area.  I do see though that they are converting them over to LED as they go EoL. 

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: 4 months after LED Streetlight retrofit = more failures « Reply #29 on: February 05, 2017, 11:10:19 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
@RyanF40T12:
I'm surprised there would be lots of EOL's in that area with as much traffic is there (unless they are planning to do a mass change-out anyway)... Oh and if you go back in the neighborhoods around there (Castle Rock) you'll find lots of MV .. (can't say forsure now since its been awhile since I've been down that way, but at one time all the neighborhood/side streets were MV :) )

-----
The place where was seeing newly installed LEDs out was on Santa-Fe between Littleton/Englewood.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies