Author Topic: Plastic Fluorescent Tube  (Read 3423 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Plastic Fluorescent Tube « on: October 11, 2016, 08:03:29 PM » Author: wattMaster
Is it possible to make a plastic fluorescent tube? It could be stronger, and more flexible.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:58:21 PM » Author: Lumex120
Is it possible to make a plastic fluorescent tube? It could be stronger, and more flexible.
ISMGM. Icky Sticky Melted Gooey Mess  :D

I have actually wondered the same thing for a long time too.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:02:35 PM » Author: wattMaster
Would it melt because of high temps?

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 11:17:48 PM » Author: RCM442
It would suck itself in when they tried to pull a vacuum on it...it's not going to happen. You want a plastic tube that lights up, get one of those new fangled LED retrofit tubes! :P

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:29:44 PM » Author: wattMaster
No problem, just make the plastic thicker.
But there's a potentially disastrous disadvantage of using a plastic fluorescent tube compared to a glass version, and that's the UV degradation of the plastic.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:50:52 PM » Author: RCM442
Not only that, plastic is can never be perfectly sealed, so it will never ever work.

Administrator #4

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 08:45:59 AM » Author: wattMaster
That's a bad one, unless you can attach some kind of vacuum pump so it will be "sealed".
But then you have to find space for the pump, and you might as well use glass fluorescents.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 09:19:28 AM » Author: Ash
Many non lighting related devices are made of Plastic and do hold gases at pressure, like an ordinary lighter..

Yep, the lighter leaking some fuel out won't affect its functionality, while the lamp leaking even little quantities of atmosphre gases in would

Yep, the fuel in the lighter is big Carbohydrate molecules, while the gases that would leak into the lamp are mostly smaller 2-atom molecules that would tend to leak easier through other substances

So maybe they would leak over long time, but that only means the lamp would have limited shelf life, not that it won;t work at all. It probably won't affect much the life of some lamp that is made for fast consumption and short life anyway. But i dont see an application where a FL lamp would be used like that
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 10:33:15 AM » Author: wattMaster
Rough service installations? But that usually calls for long life.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 11:32:23 AM » Author: RCM442
That's a bad one, unless you can attach some kind of vacuum pump so it will be "sealed".
But then you have to find space for the pump, and you might as well use glass fluorescents.
Exactly. Just use glass ones, they just work.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:55:50 AM by RCM442 » Logged

Administrator #4

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 02:58:57 PM » Author: dor123
Plastic manufacturing is less environmentally friendly than glass manufacturing, since plastic is made from petroleum, while glass are made from sand and other minerals.
Recycling of glass is easier and more environmentally friendly than plastic recycling, as glass can be reused to the same application, while plastic can't.
I think that the low pressure discharge in a fluorescent lamp, is still too hot, so it can melt and burn the plastic. Even neon glow lamps are made from glass.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 05:53:41 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 05:14:48 PM » Author: wattMaster
Then I wonder why LEDs are made of plastic, not glass...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 05:55:37 PM » Author: dor123
The plastic LED lamps, are made in a similar manner to a CFL. Also, the LEDs aren't gets as hot as the discharge in fluorescent lamps and the filament in incandescent/halogen lamps, so it is possible to use there the cheaper plastic.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 05:59:23 PM » Author: wattMaster
It would be interesting if LED lights used glass.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Plastic Fluorescent Tube « Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 06:03:54 PM » Author: dor123
LED filament lamps, are made from glass, as they are filled with a noble gas to cool the LEDs. So the gas probably reaches temperatures that plastic would melt. Also, these lamps intended to looks like the classic incandescent lamps, so the use of glass rather than plastic is also a reason for here.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies