Author Topic: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps  (Read 5299 times)
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « on: October 19, 2016, 11:40:35 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Ok guys, I am considering ordering one of these just out of curiosity as nothing like these lamps exists in the US market. Ive seen pics on here of the Philips 400w HPI-T plus 645 and it looks so different from the usual 400w MH lamps I know. The arc tube appears to be about the size of one in a 175w MH lamp and is lacking the white end paint, also the bright yellow halide salts in the pics when the lamp is cold and color temperature rating of 4500K is interesting. I do have a couple questions though, will I have any trouble running this on a pulse start 400w MH or HPS ballast? I see that this lamp is pulse start like most european lamps. The box says "runs on SON and mercury gear", so will the 400w HPS S51 ballast be the best option?

Heres the lamp, comes from China
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-HPI-T-Plus-400W-645-E40-Metal-Halide-lamp-run-on-SON-and-Mercury-gear-/172368702574?hash=item2821f9ac6e:g:NzYAAOxyAc1SQvvj
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:30:38 AM » Author: dor123
These lamps at 220-240V runs on MV and HPS chokes + ignitor. On the HPS choke, it would have a shorter life than with MV choke, because of the higher loading on the HPS choke.
These lamps, being have a neon-argon penning gas, can be ignited by much lower voltage than the rest pulse-start MH lamps (750V ignitor is enough).
There are several members, including Philip Slawinski, which managed to operate this lamp on an M59 probe-start MH ballast without an ignitor at all.
You can also operate it with an M128 or M135 or M155 ballast for pulse-start MH lamp with ignitor, as the lamp don't require the HPS ballast for optimal performance (Compared to the Osram HQI-BT 400W/D, which would burn greenish if not operated on HPS ballast).

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 11:38:24 PM » Author: lights*plus
I bought my two different HPI-T lamps from ebay. Came from Hungary or Poland can't remember but came very quickly in about a week. Both are 250w (a coated one and a clear tubular one) and I can fire them up with M58 with 310 OCV!
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 02:57:05 AM » Author: Medved
The US HPS specifications are far different from the European ones, so the "runs on HPS gear" written on an European market lamp is not relevant in the US at all.
The fact it is rated for "SON and mercury" means the lamp is running on both (I mean the European specs), but each of them means different operating specs - mercury gear means lower real power and higher CCT. But it means, with these parameters it should work on an US MV ballast (so the US 400W probe-MH one should be OK as well), with an added superimposed ignitor (an European type; the frequency difference is of no problem)...

No more selfballasted c***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 03:48:58 AM » Author: lights*plus
The HPI-T lamps are European/Middle-Easterern, and yes, they are never supposed to run on US HPS gear.

I have always wondered, however, WHY did Europe & Middle-East retain the original tri-salt recipe while tri-salt lamps are NEVER found in N. America? Was the scandium-sodium-mercury lamp easier to make? Or the patents are US? Whas the tri-salt In-Tl-Na lamps a European invention?
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 04:04:08 AM » Author: lights*plus
So is it possible to run a 400w HPI-T on a 400w H33 ballast in N.America? Is the 750v superimposed ignitor ok for a 120volt tap?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 06:05:52 PM » Author: Medved
I have always wondered, however, WHY did Europe & Middle-East retain the original tri-salt recipe while tri-salt lamps are NEVER found in N. America? Was the scandium-sodium-mercury lamp easier to make? Or the patents are US? Whas the tri-salt In-Tl-Na lamps a European invention?

It all started about the need to operate the MH's on just a series choke, so just 230V OCV ballasts in Europe. That have excluded the probe start MH's, as they need at least 300V or so (or an igniter). That is quite easy to reach with the CWA ballast, so the simpler probe start systems became the common place for the US market. The presence of the starting probe brought some complications as well - the electrolysis between two electrodes so close to each other (so with a voltage potential between them and a conductive environment, so either liquid halides or even the plasma, the electroders would get etched away by the electrolysis), plus the need to really ignite with just the starting probe and few 100's V, it brought some limitations to the gas fill. But generally the NaSc was the earliest, or at least one of the earliest usable mixes, while at that time its performance was very good for the US probe start system, so it became the standard there.

If an igniter is necessary for the 230V, it was then easier to design the igniter as a high voltage one and get rid of the starting probe in the burner. And that opened other possibilities for the burner designs (more compact, with less thermal losses, no electrolysis problems,...), so allowed to go to more efficient designs.And the different fill composition was one of the results as well. Plus the need to maintain the arc at just 220V OCV put another requirements to the fill (lower arc voltage being one of them), so the US NaSc would not be usable. All this led for the pulse start concept becoming the standard in the 230V world, together with the corresponding mixes.
Because the European MH systems were anyway more expensive than the US probe start ones, to get some market share, the makers had to offer better light quality and efficacy, so that lead to broader range of fill mixes (as the different makers were trying to improve the lamp design).

No more selfballasted c***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 11:36:34 PM » Author: lights*plus
Ok Medved, interesting. I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion; I thought that the first M-H lamps were with tri-salt fills and then the scandium-sodium. On this lamptech page, it says that the In-Tl-Na fill was the first, but both were probably fairly closely developed and marketed, and clearly, each continent followed a different path seperately for the reasons you pointed out. Thanks for the detail.
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 12:27:56 AM » Author: lights*plus
Thanks Max, fascinating historical detail. Don't mind if I save all this in a txt or doc file for future reference. Interesting how the Na-Sc lamp got a foothold in the European market, but I'm still not certain why tri-salt lamps are NEVER found in N.America. Is it because the Na-Sc lamp's initial higher efficacy was improved over the years so the efficacy always remained above tri-salt lamps? Standard N.American Na-Sc lamps as well, have attained a lamp life of 20,000 hours. Is that comperable to the life of European HPI lamps?
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 04:52:43 PM » Author: lights*plus
Excellent, thanks!
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 03:12:27 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The US HPS specifications are far different from the European ones, so the "runs on HPS gear" written on an European market lamp is not relevant in the US at all.
The fact it is rated for "SON and mercury" means the lamp is running on both (I mean the European specs), but each of them means different operating specs - mercury gear means lower real power and higher CCT. But it means, with these parameters it should work on an US MV ballast (so the US 400W probe-MH one should be OK as well), with an added superimposed ignitor (an European type; the frequency difference is of no problem)...

From my understanding, European 250w and 400w high pressure sodium lamps do have the same arc voltage and operating current as the North American 250w S50 and 400w S51 high pressure sodium lamps except that the European high pressure sodium lamps will destroy CWA ballasts. I believe that it might be possible to also safely run the 250w HPI-T on a North American 250w S50 high pressure sodium ballast and a 400w HPI-T on a North American 400w S51 high pressure sodium ballast too.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #11 on: April 21, 2021, 09:09:10 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
So is it possible to run a 400w HPI-T on a 400w H33 ballast in N.America? Is the 750v superimposed ignitor ok for a 120volt tap?

I actually got a Philips HPI-T Plus 400w lamp and ran it on a North American 400w H33 mercury vapor ballast using a European 750-1000v 2 wire parallel ignitor in parallel with the lamp and I also got my Philips HPI-T Plus 400w lamp to instantly strike an arc on the 300v OCV of a North American 400w M59 probe start metal halide CWA ballast without using any ignitor at all.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 03:22:32 AM » Author: lights*plus
Yes on all counts, except for the part about European HPS lamps destroying CWA ballasts (mostly because I forgotten why or I'm not clear on the electrical aspects of the combo).

Nevertheless, the modern penning mixture in today's HPI-T (PLUS) lamps might be why they easily ignite with probe-start ballasts. I use a 250w HPI-T PLUS on an M58 metal-halide ballast with no problems, thus far, sans ignitors.

Forgot to mention: Where did you get your 400 HPI-T lamp?

This is such an old thread, I can see that some posts are missing or deleted.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 03:25:07 AM by lights*plus » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 03:37:19 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Yes on all counts, except for the part about European HPS lamps destroying CWA ballasts (mostly because I forgotten why or I'm not clear on the electrical aspects of the combo).

Nevertheless, the modern penning mixture in today's HPI-T (PLUS) lamps might be why they easily ignite with probe-start ballasts. I use a 250w HPI-T PLUS on an M58 metal-halide ballast with no problems, thus far, sans ignitors.

Forgot to mention: Where did you get your 400 HPI-T lamp?

This is such an old thread, I can see that some posts are missing or deleted.

@lights*plus, this is where I sourced my Philips 400w HPI-T lamp:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174698045196

In addition, I also found out that silverliner (Dave) had no problems running a European high pressure sodium lamp on a North American high pressure sodium ballast of the same wattage.

I was able to get my 400w HPI-T Plus lamp to run on a 400w H33 mercury vapor ballast (CWA and HX) with a European 750-1000v 2 wire parallel ignitor, a 400w M59 probe start metal halide CWA ballast without any ignitor, a 400w S51 high pressure sodium CWA ballast with the ignitor, and finally, a 400w M135/M155 pulse start metal halide ballast with the ignitor as well!!!!! I am also trying to eventually get some 767 and 667 Philips HPI 400w BU lamps into my collection as well as all other Philips HPI lamps in the 400w range including the BUS internal starter lamps.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Philips HPI-T Plus lamps « Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 05:12:05 AM » Author: dor123
@light*plus: The problem with European HPS lamps on CWA ballasts, is because HPS lamps suffer from voltage rise during life, which can allow CWA ballasts to run them at very high currents.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies