Author Topic: Too much lamps?  (Read 6174 times)
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Too much lamps? « on: November 19, 2016, 05:10:42 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Can you have too much lamps? Well, I think many of us think no. I just have recently come across of storage space problem and was thinking do other collectors have similar problem?

I think the main reason of my problem is I usually buy random lots of lamps on the internet since there are usually some gems included + usefull lamps and the price is usually pretty low for such lots but the problem is all the non-usable lamps that also come with the package.

I roughtly divide all lamps in one of the four category below.

1. collectable lamps, these are lamps I consider to be highly collectable. Mostly rare and hard to find lamps that I find interesring. Usually not to be used at all.

2. Lamps that are not common anymore (eg. Mostly Nos lamps) may be put in use if there are atleast two speciment of such lamp in my collection.

3. Usable lamps. Lamps that can be used without any futher thinking. Meaning that fixtures for theese type of lamps are still commonly used today. Roughtly speaking lot's of modern lamps.

4. Non-usable lamps. Lamps that dont fit in any of above categories. Special purpose lamps I find no interesring. Extra pieces of cat 2 lamps that dont fit in cat 3. eg. Incandescent lamps above 75w or high wattage low voltage halogens.

The cat 4 is the problem as I have not figured out what to do with those lamps. I would not want to throw them to trash as there are basically unused lamps but I don't have (and probably wont ever come across) fixture that I could use those. If I had infinite stirage space that would not be a problem but since I dont it's kind of a problem.

How other members of lg keep off their collection not to grow too big?

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 06:38:27 PM » Author: ace100w120v
I haven't run out of space yet back home, but I categorize similarly to how you do, I can relate.
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 03:50:35 AM » Author: Lodge
Re-Store donations, I give them a second life by dropping off the un-wanted ones, and sometimes I luck out and buy a few replacements that I do want.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 07:27:59 AM » Author: funkybulb
There a few classes of lamps

Fluoresencent

I try to make sure i have a fixture to run them
Also  those odd ball leanth  fluorescent lamp
Usually 1 or 2 i keep.  Unless i make a fixture
For them.  Also extra lamps i try see if other
Collector is interested.

Everyday common lamp. Just buy what u need and
Use them and dont stock up.  Or using Older common NOS lamps caise newer one is crap.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:16 AM » Author: Foxtronix
You definitely can.

I don't have the same passion for collecting lighting stuff that I used to have when I subscribed here in November 2007. That's... gee, almost 10 years ago already.  :-\

It started with collecting for the sake of collecting, but I grew tired of that, became more selective toward what I chose to get, before eventually stopping the pure collecting. It was especially the case after getting a few streetlights. They're awesome but man those suckers are bulky! I still got lighting fixtures and lamps afterwards but at that point it was only 1)stuff I planned to use sometime in the future, 2)super rare items and 3)lamps if they were worth saving.

Now that I mostly moved to electronics as my main hobby I prefer keeping electronic parts rather than lamps around. That being said I do have a few project ideas involving both electronics and lighting!  ;D

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 01:02:31 AM » Author: Lodge
You definitely can.

I don't have the same passion for collecting lighting stuff that I used to have when I subscribed here in November 2007. That's... gee, almost 10 years ago already.  :-\

It started with collecting for the sake of collecting, but I grew tired of that, became more selective toward what I chose to get, before eventually stopping the pure collecting. It was especially the case after getting a few streetlights. They're awesome but man those suckers are bulky! I still got lighting fixtures and lamps afterwards but at that point it was only 1)stuff I planned to use sometime in the future, 2)super rare items and 3)lamps if they were worth saving.

Now that I mostly moved to electronics as my main hobby I prefer keeping electronic parts rather than lamps around. That being said I do have a few project ideas involving both electronics and lighting!  ;D

Got any plans /schematics for some low voltage switched mode ballasts ? like an 18 watt LPS ?
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:41:46 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
yea im running out of space aswell and my parents hate it and im moveing out soon so im not sure what to do

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 05:42:33 PM » Author: dischargecraze
yea im running out of space aswell and my parents hate it and im moveing out soon so im not sure what to do
We lamp collectors probably all had that problem ;)

What I'd do is get a banana box or something like that. Get all your lamps ready and sort through incandescent, mercury etc. Put the lamps that have packaging in first, then sort through your lamps without packages. Throw away the broken ones unless it's a very rare specimen, or the ones with memories attached. That's a great first step. You can also store your lamps somewhere in your closet of course.

When I buy a new lamp for the collection, I need to determine wheter it will replace a lamp that I'll use on a daily basis. When I know I won't be using it (yet), I store it in a box behind my wall. This way it doesn't take up more space than needed. You could also throw away the package when you are going to use it. This might hold you back from switching it again. Wrap the yet unused lamps in news paper and write their type on the paper so you don't use them when not necessary. Seal the box and put it in a dry place.

When you will be using it get the lamp about to be replaced and either throw it away or wrap it. Fluorescent lamps can be stored vertically to save space, although nobody recommends this step, it's how careful you'll want to be yourself for your lamps.

Moving out is a big step, and you're probably stepping down on space. Maybe you could store some lamps at your parents house if you ask them. Label the box as your property and put on it that they shouldn't throw it away. Then take it when you have some more space.

It worked for me :)
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 01:20:55 AM » Author: RyanKorponay12
thanks that helps alot! im going to start putting away lamps into paper and stuff like that and OMG i have so many fluorescent tubes i need get rid of alot of them, lots of them philips alto, murcury starved/eol/or close to eol and i have quite a bit of fixtures as well

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:43:49 PM » Author: hannahs lights
If your collecting lamps and you run out of space its not because you've got to many lamps its because the space is too small
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 06:48:50 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I have far too many lamps, but its not space thats the problem with me!, I take in too many spares!
When I moved in, I had all GLS lamps over the house, some got changed for 2 foot fluorescent battens, some with the early CFLs.

I thought I would have the battens forever, and set about filling a spare cupboard upstairs with about 20 2 foot tubes, and starters.
Trouble is though, (I was 23 when I moved into my house), but 8 years later I hated the `cold` look of tubes, even 830 WW ones!, so I changed it all to CFL!, result?, loads of spare tube that will now never get used!

By the time I switched to all CFL, the newer electronic ones were king, good light, low wattage, and better colour than linear tubes, I thought I would keep CFL forever! ::), I had them in all the light fittings, and under my kitchen units, so I hoarded spares in 7, 11, 20watts, boxes full of the things in all shapes from stick to spiral!

And yes, you`ve guessed it, 12 years later I got fed up of CFL too!, result?, 4 boxes of CFL that will now never get used again!
When I went all LED in 2013, I promised myself I wouldn`t hoard spares, I wouldn`t need to!, with the better lives now of the newer ones, I would get one for each fitting and then thats it!

I now have a box full of LED ;D, their not spares though, its just that now I have a new problem!, because LED are still `evolving`, each new model comes out year on year, in a new design, a new colour and a lower wattage, and I can`t help it, I think, "these would look good in the hallway, kitchen or wherever"!!!, and the hoarding continues....... ???

So yes, you can have too many lamps!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:51:14 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 07:37:55 PM » Author: Rommie
If your collecting lamps and you run out of space its not because you've got to many lamps its because the space is too small
I was just thinking that when I saw this  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2020, 07:43:19 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I need to get on with putting up shelves then.  ;D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #13 on: January 05, 2020, 10:06:26 PM » Author: Cole D.
For me, I collect light fixtures and electrical parts more so than lamps, so if I ran out of space, it would be due to that more. But I do collect lamps that I like which are unusual or most of my lamps are ones that I can use. Like I collect MV and HPS lamps that I can use in my fixtures for that wattage, etc. Or S11 base incandescent for my little reading lamp, etc.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Too much lamps? « Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 10:42:32 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I'm pretty much out of space...
I have far too much stuff (majority being Christmas - lights/trees/decorations, 2nd would be fluorescent fixtures/lamps, 3rd being aquariums/fish-related )

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies