Author Topic: Philips TL-D  (Read 3642 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Philips TL-D « on: November 20, 2016, 08:47:33 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Heya  :)

My local B&Q store has changed their lighting stock to Philips in the fluorescent tubes and they are marked TL-D with ordinary steel silver caps. Question is that are they good tubes?

All best

Fluorfan96 :)

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:00:39 PM » Author: dischargecraze
A bit of a late response, yes they are. My Philips TL-D's have done well over 17.000 hours and failed just recently. They have a high quality phosphor and are inexpensive bulbs. So a pretty neat deal.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:57:10 AM » Author: Ash
Many types of TL-D out there. The ones we have are "TL-D" for Halo tubes (those are not supposed to be on sale in the EU) or "TL-D Super 80" for the Tri
Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 06:50:05 AM » Author: Roi_hartmann
I've had no problem with TL-Ds. Most of my experience is from european size of 18, 36 and 58W.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 08:38:21 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Heya all  :)

Thanks for the responses, now I'll know that these Philips TL-D tubes are fantastic because I don't know about you guys but my cousin had an awful experience with Philips 28W 2D lamps as he used two of them and both of them failed after a month and a half. First one got gradually dimmer to a pink colour and the second one sputtered and did a typical EOL failure  >:( so then I advised him to switch to GE back in March this year and its still working now!!! Hopefully he can get a good 5-8 years of the GE 2D lamp.

I'm just curious about the quality of the Philips lighting range, from what you say that their modern TL-D FL tubes are very good but from MY experience their 2D lamps are totally crap as my cousin had 2 of them lasting 1.5 month(s) and Prismatic showed his Philips filament LED GLS bulb and titled it "worst LED filament lamp I had so far.."

I have known GE lighting when B&Q stocked its entire range on its lighting aisle during my little boy days  :D and their FL tubes (we still have them in our FL fixtures!!) and their BIAX CFLS with BC base have not failed on me  :)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 12:01:08 PM » Author: Ash
Maybe a dud ? A year and half back i put up 4 Osram Lumilux 36W/865 in one of our IT offices. One of them went Hg starved within a couple months, the others still going strong (the failed one i removed from the luminaire and never bothered to put another tube in)

As for the 2D's, check out the Lm ratings between Thorn (from old catalogs), Osram and Philips (nowadays) for the 28W/38W sizes. Surprisingly the modern tubes can be as much as 150..250 Lm dimmer than the old ones. One would expect the opposite... Then some Chinese 2D's like Eurolux perform very decently if not better than the "big names", and are rated with high Lm too
HU112

View Posts
View Gallery

Chester

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:21:10 PM » Author: HU112
Modern fluorescent lamps are actually 'hit and miss' when talking about quality.
Osram 'Lumilux' series is the worst choice if you run the lamp 24*7, they usually become mercury-starved before reaching the real EOL.
Some of the Chinese tubes even outlasts these European lamps.
-------------------------
The Hungarian / American / British GE, Holland / French / Polish Philips are quite nice in quality.

No more cheapy crappy Chinese junk, please.

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:39:05 AM » Author: Flurofan96
OSRAM Lumilux series are they the ones with the green tree etches because yes these are shoddy  :D Liam was telling me about these as they go EOL pretty quick in less than 3 years.

Its quite amazing of how some China made tubes outlast even the European made lamps, I mean with the case of my CFLS I've had a China made OSRAM DULUXstar made it to 5-6 years of overnight use and my Philips Polish made Master CFL only lasted 3 years with less use and frequent switching  :o

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 12:48:35 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
OSRAM Lumilux series are they the ones with the green tree etches because yes these are shoddy  :D Liam was telling me about these as they go EOL pretty quick in less than 3 years.

Its quite amazing of how some China made tubes outlast even the European made lamps, I mean with the case of my CFLS I've had a China made OSRAM DULUXstar made it to 5-6 years of overnight use and my Philips Polish made Master CFL only lasted 3 years with less use and frequent switching  :o

Didn't Osram drop the green-tree out of etch of it's lumilux fluorescent lamp as it was "reserved" for the most ecologic and efficient lightsource so Osram leds inherit it?

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 02:56:18 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
To answer my own guestion, apparently they did drop the tree logo. Upper one si from around 5 years ago and lower one I bought just couple of weeks ago.

http://www.whitenightcape.com/kuv/osram15w.jpg

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 02:39:02 PM » Author: Ash
So far i am happy with the Osram Lumilux T8's. Dont know what wentup with the ones you have. i take that one in the IT room as a one-off for now

The tree-less ones with the thick Grey font came here about a year or less ago, in fact, i cleared the few last tree ones from the bin (where they were mixed with the non tree ones) in the nearest Homecenter about a month ago
TL buis

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 04:14:48 AM » Author: TL buis
TL-D lamps are very common in Holland, and not so many problems with it. Lifetime is quite OK even output will remain the same during lifetime. Some of them are running 10/24 and for 12 years. ( Not so good as the 90's produced TLDs, these are still running on some locations!!) Only thing about the TL-D Extra: little dissapointing max lifetime 6 years...
Funny to say about these 2D lamps: These are not produced by Philips, and is only rebranded.
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 02:20:08 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Looks like the OSRAM FL tubes with tree logo are becoming collectibles now! Once a common product even at the time I've joined LG in 2014!!!!

Ah so its only the 2D lamps Philips do not actually make, its been rebranded sneakily by a Chinese plant of no name with fake safety labels slapped on so it will bypass the standard checks and gain approval. I know the story, its GE and Thorn have the rights to the 2D patent (Thorn invented the 2D and Ge had the right to the patent) so I'm gonna avoid them fake China made 2D's slapped with Philips name on it!!

Feeling rather confident with Philips TL-D tubes  :)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 02:53:08 PM » Author: Ash
Chinese plant of no name can make safe lamps if they want to. And they probably do if the lamps dont fall apart when you handle them. I dont see how fake approvals become needed ?
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips TL-D « Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 05:13:47 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Don't get me wrong but there are some no name Chinese plants that do an excellent job- some LG members have posted pics of China made lamps doing extremely well regards to lifetime

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies