Author Topic: Different meanings of the term "Floodlight" in america and outside?  (Read 1518 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Different meanings of the term "Floodlight" in america and outside? « on: November 23, 2016, 03:45:24 AM » Author: dor123
Following this picture , which shows a thing that most of the american considers "Floodlight" but in most part of the world won't recognised such (And this isn't the first time I'm see american members using the term "Floodlight" for things that from my side, aren't considered "Floodlights"), I began to wonder if there are different meaning of this term in North American and outside (Europe, Israel, UK, etc...).
From how I usually uses to see this term, a "Floodlight" is a special lantern with dedicated optic design and either symmetrical or asymmetrical reflector that is used mainly for area floodlighting (Although here it is often used also for security lighting as well) and that produces concentrated beam, when compared to a street lantern.
From how I see the term used in North America (Both in pictures of american members here, and in other websites), it seems to me that in America, a "Floodlight" is simply a reflector lamp or an outdoor fixture (Usually security light fixture) that designed for reflector or PAR lamps.

Is this really true that the term "Floodlight" have different meaning or use in american compared to outside? And if so, why this is the case?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Different meanings of the term "Floodlight" in america and outside? « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 12:54:56 PM » Author: Medved
I understand the "floodlight" as a simple lantern simply "flooding" some area with a lot of light with not that much (or not at all) controlled beam.
With that definition are matching the linear halogen "floodlights" ere, as well as the PAR lamp based ones in the US...

No more selfballasted c***

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Different meanings of the term "Floodlight" in america and outside? « Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 01:38:06 PM » Author: rjluna2
What we have a few version of 'floodlights' as we call it has lighting beam wider than 90 degree apart compare to the 'spotlight' that has narrow beam lighting.  I hope that clears up on our nomenclature.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Different meanings of the term "Floodlight" in america and outside? « Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 08:11:15 PM » Author: mdcastle
In the US "Floodlight" can refer to any of
1) A powerful outdoor directional lighting fixture
2) A PAR lamp with a wide beam
3) The fixture designed to hold a PAR lamp.
The latter two are the most common. Normally there's no specific term used for directional lights.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Different meanings of the term "Floodlight" in america and outside? « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 10:23:51 PM » Author: dor123
The first thing is what I usually uses to recognises as floodlight, and it is the most common to refer to in Israel and Europe.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies