Author Topic: Do you *really* hate LED's?  (Read 18556 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 07:11:05 PM » Author: wattMaster
Here is why LEDs are so successful.  They are simple, easy to use, are better than CFLs, and have a long life promise to them.  EXACTLY what most normal people out in the world want!  They don't care about any argument you may make against LEDs.  Why?  Because for most normal people it doesn't matter to them.  The people on this board are VERY opinionated when it comes to lighting.  Let's face it, most normal people are not going to have some huge passion in lighting and collecting light bulbs and fixtures and that is why there is not a market for it.  There IS a market for energy effeciant long life LED bulbs, which is why they are selling so well and which is why they are replacing the outdated MV, HPS, MH, Fluorescent, and Incandescent technology! NO amount of "BUT BUT BUT!" or whatever complaining you do regarding LEDs is going to amount to a hill of beans.  All you and your lighting knowledge amounts to is a few pennies out of thousands of dollars.  No offense.  You don't have to like it, but you DO have to put up with it going on all around you.  Not a dang thing you can do about it. 
Unless we create some advertising to make normal people care about these differences.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 11:06:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: RyanF40T12
Here is why LEDs are so successful.  They are simple, easy to use, are better than CFLs, and have a long life promise to them.  EXACTLY what most normal people out in the world want!  They don't care about any argument you may make against LEDs.  Why?  Because for most normal people it doesn't matter to them. 
I completely agree with this.
Like it or not, that is how it is, and its not gonna change.

Quote from: wattMaster
Unless we create some advertising to make normal people care about these differences. 
Unless you win the powerball or something there would be zero chance LOL advertising is extremely expensive!
LEDs are here to stay...until the next technology comes along to replace them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:09:42 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 01:02:52 AM » Author: Ash
Here is why LEDs are so successful.  They are simple, easy to use, are better than CFLs, and have a long life promise to them.  EXACTLY what most normal people out in the world want!  They don't care about any argument you may make against LEDs.  Why?  Because for most normal people it doesn't matter to them.

What is not simple and easy to use about any lamp ? The are all used the same way

In some parameters better, in some no. Which ones are important to you ? That is individual

The user does not remember when he last time relamped the CFL in the lantern but it was not in the last 3 years. so while the LED may last longer, the user already knows that CFLs last long too, and is not worried about the need to replace a lamp every 3 to 5 years

Most normal people dont know how the thing works inside, but they see the lighting effect from it. Some users like, some dislike, some dont notice any difference

If they can choose different lamps, each would use the lamp of his preference. The latter group would probably choose LEDs because LEDs are marketed and they dont have own preference. The ones who do have some preference in some direction, $2 a year (in energy) or $few for several years (in lamp purchase) are not going to change their choice of lamp

Now let me understand something ?

Are you fighting over whether the success of LED is good or bad ? Because if so then i am out of here

My point is that the success of LED made it into one more good lamp choice alongside other lamp types, not into the only legit lamp in the futture

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 02:21:54 AM » Author: dischargecraze
If you're going to put advertising about the bulbs lighting quality, most people will say oh wow, but they won't change anything because of the effeciency! Just because you don't like LED's doesn't mean other can't... nobody around me sees a difference even when you tell them. They don't care about it.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 03:02:23 AM » Author: Ash
Around here there are more peeps with preference to a lamp type, or who dont like a thing about one lamp or another. There is a fair distribution of different opinions

LEDs land in the disliked category most commonly on account of early failures (but that is of low interest to me, because this is not a problem of the LED technology), and less commonly on account of what users describe as "harsh light", "sore eyes" and so on (the type of lamp referred to is usually the E27 White ball with White neck, or integrated luminaires with diffuse White surface, at power ratings around 7W..15W) - which is consistent with my own observation

You still appear to think that if some users dont like LEDs, this implies that they would want others to not have LEDs either. This is not the case
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 03:17:00 AM » Author: dischargecraze
I think we should all accept eachothers opinions on this. The hype is true to some extent but you don't believe that, fine. They're all opinions and not facts and I think we should leave it there. LED's were not as good as today, some will not change their mind and that's OK.
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 01:17:37 PM » Author: dischargecraze
It's true. When all of us are old, we will have technologies in our homes that are long gone. And all people will tell us how ineffecient we're being but if it makes us feel comfortable staying in the past we should do so, if it makes ourselves happy.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 01:43:05 PM » Author: Ash
The Incandescent lamp could of been left for the history books the moment when the next lamp type after it was invented. For some reason this never happened. It took bans to try to push the 120 year old product away from the users. Apparently, there is some reason why it would stay if not for the bans..

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 01:50:44 PM » Author: dischargecraze
It's obviously it's colour rendering and warm colour. No other lamp has achieved a CRI of 100. Halogen falls in the 95-100 range if I remember correctly. And we are all so used to it's light that it's hard to go back to worse colour rendering.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 02:07:38 PM » Author: Ash
Discharge :
Not all, some. For many others the Incandescent isn't a form of "reference lamp" at all. Also, Halogen with apparently all the benefits of Incandescent is around for the last 40..50 years, and have not replaced Incandescent either

Thencheel :
You'll be surprised how many peeps i know who happily use Daylight Halophosphate T8 tubes in their living room. And those are peeps who have nothing to do with lighting except use it
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 03:51:43 PM » Author: dischargecraze
Then what is it about the lamp that makes it so succesful? I know people that bought hundreds of bulbs to live off for the rest of their lives. I asked some people and they said about "no other bulbs give off such a nice glow" fluorescent and LED's just don't do it for them.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #41 on: February 21, 2017, 04:27:26 PM » Author: Ash
Are all the people you know like that ?
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #42 on: February 21, 2017, 07:13:39 PM » Author: dischargecraze
Yes, my entire family likes to complain about fluorescent and LED lighting. It doesn't make the colours "pop out" as much as with incandescent. The red is very important, getting the deep reds is a must here. My friends also don't like newer lighting despite of it's many advantages it has booked over the last couple of years. A dimmer is what my family is used to which is also a reason why incandescent is still being used, and I suggested Philips WarmGlow which took off a bit in my family. :)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #43 on: February 22, 2017, 01:10:54 AM » Author: Ash
Sure not all of them ?

Here some peeps are only Incandescent, and some are generally accepting for non Incandescent and for high K lighting. Among the latter ones, liking/not liking for Fluorescent and for LED is diverse and fairly independent on each other - There are many who like either one but not the other

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #44 on: February 22, 2017, 04:17:24 AM » Author: dor123
My mother today prefer 6500K than 2700-3000K, since she see worse with warm white light, because of yellowing of the eyeballs. And she loves the light of her LED panel in her kitchen and thinks that roads illuminated with LED the viewing is superior to HPS lighting. See here .

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies