Author Topic: Do you *really* hate LED's?  (Read 18204 times)
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #45 on: February 22, 2017, 09:03:57 AM » Author: hannahs lights
The weather has been very cold here and sitting under my standard lamp with its 60 watt filament lamp gives a nice bit of extra warmth cant get that with crappy LEDs
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #46 on: February 22, 2017, 09:19:56 AM » Author: dischargecraze
That is true when we initially switched to CFL before switching back our house was colder than normal.
Spaceman 65

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 08:58:56 PM » Author: Spaceman 65
I use a mix of all lighting technology for residential consumers.  :a_inc: :a_fluor: :a_pl:
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 01:27:50 PM » Author: Bubbler Tube
YES!!!
But CAN'T seem to put WHY into words Properly.....

Apart From It REALLY Gets on My BOOBS When a Lovely Old Fitting gets torn down and smashed with LOVELY Old bulbs JUST because the place is changing to LED now THAT to me is JUST SO WRONG!!!!!

I LOVE Bulbs, Be They The Light up Kind or the Ones That Grow...

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #49 on: September 19, 2017, 11:14:19 PM » Author: Lodge
Nope, I'll use any lighting technologies I can lay me hands on, I'd burn a whale oil light if I could find one, if the correct technology is applied to the correct application after careful selection it will work great, but if you just stick up the cheapest ebay fixture and expect a miracle you will normally be sadly disappointed when it's not what you expect or if it fails early..

Even the first light people see on my house is LED and backed up with a Low pressure sodium it preforms as intended and works great, also on the flip side with all the major changes going on there is a surplus of very low cost fixtures, lamps and parts to other lighting technology that would otherwise be crazy expensive without the introduction of LED's, really I have never seen HID/FL ballasts selling as low as I can find them for today, some are selling for less then the value of scrap copper they contain, some businesses are even giving away old fixtures like highbays in the hundreds, get them while you can..   
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #50 on: September 20, 2017, 12:55:32 AM » Author: Ash
The only lighting application i have for LED is inside a container i got to store my big stuff, which is located on the borders of the village with no electricity. So i power the lighting there with a sealed Lead Acid battery

And there the Ebay stuff is doing just fine :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-Yellow-Waterproof-LED-SMD-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-COB-Strip-Lamp-17cm-/222629688123?epid=1390127172

I use Amber LEDs for the lighting as their light gives good visibility without murdering the eyes, and it does not affect night vision when i go out in the darkness (there is no lighting outside)

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #51 on: September 20, 2017, 09:29:34 AM » Author: 589
I'll 2nd on the amber LED's for outdoor use. Easier on the eyes and not as disturbing to wildlife than white LED. Remember the past while embracing and shaping the future.

:lps:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #52 on: September 20, 2017, 10:52:59 AM » Author: dor123
The problem with the amber LEDs, is that they have yet to reach the efficiency of blue and white LEDs.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #53 on: September 20, 2017, 11:37:13 AM » Author: Ash
They dont put as good light as SON anyway, so even at the higher efficacy they would not really be a fair replacement for SON..

In my application, the lighting i need is of very low power - The lighting for the entire space is planned to be ~8 strips of 1.8W each, for total of 14.4W, that can work for 5+ hours on a 7Ah battery. There is no SON lamp of this low power, and i also want it to be multiple smaller lamps to spread the lighting and not have it all in 1 spot

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 10:31:38 PM » Author: 589
Yea, amber led in my mind is more of a SOX "replacement". If the masses must have their LED's, than let it be something similar to SOX.

Pros
-low CRI
-no blue light
-high optical efficiency of LED designs
-people on board simply when you say LED. Because the masses are trained that way to think LED means better. Which isn't necessarily always a negative thing.

Cons
-reduced power efficacy vs white LED
-low CRI
-colored light

This list is obviously not exhaustive by any means. However, the pros outweigh the cons to me since LED is where everything is going right now. I'd rather trade in some efficacy for reduced eye strain, wildlife disturbance, and light pollution by using amber LED.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 03:37:17 AM » Author: Ash
All that, at 200 Lm/W and with much less polluting manufacture process, was already achieved by SOX

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #56 on: September 21, 2017, 07:38:58 AM » Author: 589
This is true for sure. SOX is by far my favorite outdoor lighting. However, nobody else but us cares. The public generalizes LED's as superior in every way, thinks every other type of lighting is archaic and outdated, regardless if it is better. People like to toss around words like "update" and "upgrade" a bunch regarding led. People like new things, they assume it's better because it's new. Many times folks will be either blissfully unaware or just deal with it if the new stuff isn't as good. I just like to think that amber led is a meet-in-the-middle product that combines SOX like qualities that I like with the newness of led.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 10:16:35 PM » Author: Ash
I dont see how the misinformation of others is an excuse to have to "meet in the middle"

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 07:16:10 AM » Author: 589
Yet another excellent observation, I don't mean that sarcastically.

TLDR: Maintaining influence in a strategic relationship sometimes means picking your battles.

Sometimes people are going to believe what they want regardless of what's right and have a closed mind to the truth. That can happen with folks professionally or with friendships. If that relationship is strategic like a boss or someone with a good deal of influence, sometimes maintaining that relationships integrity becomes more important than being technically correct. As being technically correct could damage influence and rapport with them that may be needed another time. In that case compromising would be what's right in that situation, some call it "picking your battles".

So, I like to convince who I can about SOX/HPS, if they're not open to that I try to steer them towards Amber led, then sub-3000k white led with low glare of possible. Unfortunately, most of whom I come in contact with either don't care to vehemently expounding on how much better LED is in every way no matter what evedidence is placed before them. Many times those of the latter are archintects or engineers I know involved in making lighting decisions. That being the case most of the time I skip to step 2 or 3 to not lose influence with them.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 07:18:12 AM by Andy Sodium » Logged

RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: Do you *really* hate LED's? « Reply #59 on: September 22, 2017, 09:43:51 AM » Author: RyanKorponay12
i really hate leds

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies