Author Topic: Colonial-Premier table lamp  (Read 3893 times)
yiams
Colonial-Premier table lamp « on: January 02, 2017, 05:35:26 PM » Author: yiams
I found the forum through a Google search for information about a Colonial-Premier table lamp. This lamp is a family keepsake that I have been using regularly. I just took it out of service because I noticed the button switch for the fluorescent ring has become loose within the collar. I punch the button and I can feel the button move beneath my fingertip. Sometimes I have to move the button to the 2 o'clock position to light the ring, other times it happens at the 9 o'clock position, other times at the 6 o'clock. That is not normal.

I would like to continue using the lamp so I'm looking for information on having it re-wired. However, I have no idea what, if anything, that would do to the value of the lamp since I have NO idea what it is worth. That's why I'm looking for some advice. Would it be worthwhile to repair the lamp?

Along that line does anyone have any history about this company? In my Google searches I find antique dealers and floor lamps and some table lamps of other designs but nothing really about the company or designer(s). I'm 61 years old and I cannot remember a time when this lamp was NOT in my family. Actually, we had two but I have no idea what happened to the other one. It was either discarded because it did not work, did not move with us way back in 1965, or it was given to a relative.

In other words any information would be appreciated especially related to repair work.

Thank you
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Colonial-Premier table lamp « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 11:44:51 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Yes! Definitely try to save it! Could you please show pix of the switch? Also, this lamp could be as early as the 40s, 1945 and onward.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colonial-Premier table lamp « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 12:07:36 AM » Author: funkybulb
It look like it missing a nut for push button switch came loose to start your fluorescent lamps.

also if i reember right since i bought mine about month ago it use a HI/ lo switch socket going bad. This socket
Controls upper lamp and lower fluorescent lamp.
This provides a way to turn off your fluorescent lamp.
It basically a 3 way lamp socket made for 3 way lamp
But it has screw terminal instead of second contact of outer ring of the bulbs.

These socket little bit harder to find but u can find them in places like old time hardware store. To replace the lamp socket. 

Also double check starter switch for no loose connections.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

yiams
Re: Colonial-Premier table lamp « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:07:46 PM » Author: yiams
Here are 3 more images from my original photo session with the lamp. I plan to take the images to a local lighting center (not a big box store) to see if they might be able to help. A friend of mine who also has some vintage lamps recommended I try there; they have done some work with her lamps.
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Colonial-Premier table lamp « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:36:49 AM » Author: funkybulb
First thing i would do is put a nut on that switch
Also due to lack of nut on the switch
It get push in. Causing switch to move around
And it will break wires off from the switch
Reason why it only lights in different spot
Making what lose connections on wires.
It petty easy repair.  It involve taking lamp
Apart and reconnecting the loose wire from
The switch.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 07:45:37 AM by funkybulb » Logged

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Colonial-Premier table lamp « Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 02:01:36 PM » Author: nicksfans
Like funkybulb said, I'd start by putting a new nut on that switch. You may have to disassemble the lamp to hold the switch from the back so you can get the nut on. That alone may fix it, but if not, a wire may have come loose from the switch. Sometimes these are soldered inside the switch and aren't easily replaced. You could try to find a replacement switch, or possibly wire in a standard on/off switch and automatic glow starter if there's enough room in the wiring compartment. I just did the same conversion on a 1940s floor lamp I have because a couple of the wires pulled out of the original switch.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

yiams
Re: Colonial-Premier table lamp « Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 05:44:50 PM » Author: yiams
Thank you very much for your recommendations. I'm off on Friday and I plan to talk to a local lighting center regarding an upgrade. It might be best to have the whole thing re-wired. Judging from the cord that runs from the lamp to an electrical outlet, this is probably original equipment and there may be some other internal parts requiring repair.
Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Colonial-Premier table lamp « Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 05:56:50 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Eh, prolly the power cord would be a good one to replace if original, and maybe switch the incand socket wires to modern. The fluorescent system (ballast, lamp, socket) should be ok, but if you chose to rewire it all, then try to keep the original ballast and socket, that preserves the value of this old boy. ;)

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies